PDA

View Full Version : How has listening to kid music changed your music?

writermama
08-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Building on more or less recent posts about favorite kid music artists and favorite "real" music to play for kids, I was wondering how listening to your kids music has changed your listening tastes, habits, etc.

In my case, I have a few examples of how my children have informed my recent music choices:

Because of the Wiggles, specifically the song Taba Naba on Wiggly, Wiggly World, I bought some Christine Anu CDs. I really love her voice, espescially on the songs she sings in her native language.

Thanks to Jack's Big Music Show on Noggin, I bought the Nuttin But Stringz CD, my first venture into Hip Hop Violin ... or really hip hop in general. I like it as much as the kids, if not more.

After listening to Phillidelphia Chickens, I went back and dug out my Broadway CDs that I hadn't listened to in a few years.

We love Dan Zanes around here and I'm planning to listen to DH's Del Fuegos collection ... if we can ever find it in the mess that is his office.

How about you?

Jen841
08-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I listen to more variety, and censor what goes in my iPod more.

I am 100% guilty of forgetting songs are children's music and sing-along with my music driving to work... without kids. I realize what I am doing when I am about 1/2 the way there.

octmom
08-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Yep. I was singing along (loudly) to the Backyardigans while I ran errands at lunchtime one day last week. It wasn't until I pulled back into my office parking lot that I realized what I had been doing.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

maestramommy
08-20-2007, 11:04 PM
I guess our collection of kids music isn't very large, only Music Together and a couple CDs from Dora's music class. I HAVE learned a lot of folk tunes, but one thing that has really stuck out for me is that I CANNOT STAND listening to singing that is out of tune, even if it's done by cute kids. Dora's music class put out their own CDs, and all the songs sound like they were sung by a group of neighborhood kids (the franchise is regional, so probably lower budget). The instrumentation (Orff based) is fabulous, but 2 of the kids are consistently off key, which clashes with everyone else, and it makes me crazy. Too bad, because the songs are very catchy.

Fairy
08-20-2007, 11:17 PM
I do this constantly. From daycare to the train station, I continue listening to Free to Be You and Me and don't even realize it's still on, until somehow I hear myself belting out "Glad to Have a Friend Like you!"

I do love that CD. Every single second of it. Other than Girl & Boyland. Brothers & Sisters just rocks, LOVE IT!

I also am searching out the Nuttin' but Strings CD, their appearance on Jack of which absolutely blew me away. I clicked back several times to watch it over again on my own. Just love it.

Philly chickens are pretty great. I keep trying to get DS to listen to that one, but he's sick of it.

Right now, I'm listening to the soundtrack to Godspell over and over and over again and have convinced DS that this is "his" music. He loves it. I'm preparing for an audition, so I'm pounding it inito myself. The problem is that DS only wants to listen to the first song with the shofar, which is not the song I need! Oops. Backfire.

kijip
08-21-2007, 01:15 AM
We listen to very little kid music, except for what is on the Sesame Street cd and They Might Be Giants. The first thing that springs to mind is we listen to less music with adult themes in it. My Public Enemy collection is pretty dusty, as is Macy Gray. But silly or otherwise clean stuff gets more playtime.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

Wife_and_mommy
08-21-2007, 06:39 AM
I LOVE NBS! I'm going to download a couple of their songs to DH's nano supposedly for "dd". She'll love it too but it really is *my* favorite, lol.

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

http://b2.lilypie.com/pXphm4.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif