PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take the integrated screening test

TraciG
08-22-2007, 10:45 AM
I took the first part on Monday at 12 week's pregnant, I take the other part/blood test in one month . They combine the 2 test results and give you an answer which is supposed to help decide if you should have amnio done. The test is basically for Down's Syndrome.

You can find out the results of the first part or wait to get the results from both, so I decided to find out what the first part result was, a mistake because it positive which isn't good, they said it could be because of my age ( 37 ) and it can change when I take the blood test, but now I'm worried & confused & have to wait a month !!!!!!!!!

Anyone else have this experience ?

o_mom
08-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Is the first part the NT ultrasound? I was offered it but declined because for my age group it was not any more accurate than the Quad screen at 16-18 weeks.

The results should not be given as a positive/negative, but as a risk, 1 in 100 for example. If it is really high now, I would think they would offer you amnio now for your peace of mind, rather than waiting. If it is just slightly elevated they may figure it can wait. I would ask them exactly what the results are and then research what that means.

daniele_ut
08-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm sorry that your results have you worried Tracy! I refused all the prenatal screenings for my first 2 pregnancies because many women I had spoken to told me the results caused them unnecessary worries.

Usually a positive result just means that there is a slightly increased risk of a problem. It rarely means that there actually *is* a problem. I know that I don't want any invasive testing, like an amnio, done so I will likely refuse the blood tests as well. I am already 15 weeks so they would have done the Triple Screen for me and not the 2 part that you are doing.

I know it's hard not to worry, but odds are that your baby is just fine!!

juliasmom05
08-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Sorry that you are worrying about your results and have to wait another month. First, remember it is just a screen, it is not diagnostic. When you say positive, is the ratio lower (odds higher) than it would be just based on your age? I didn't have the integrated test, but got the results from the NT and the blood test (which screens for Associated Plasma Protein-A (PAPP-A)) done at 12 weeks separately from the results from the later quad screen. Hang in there.

Marci

pb&j
08-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Was there bloodwork done with this portion? Is your physician/ultrasonographer certified to perform the NT scan? Was your result positive, like borderline positive (1:250) or like 1:6 positive? Can you get a referral to a peri/high risk doc who will repeat the test, do a more comprehensive u/s to look for other soft markers, and/or do a CVS or early amnio?

BTW, the NT scan/bloodwork is not only for Down syndrome (T-21). It is also a screen for other trisomies.

-Ry,
mom to Max, age 1.5
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

SnuggleBuggles
08-22-2007, 01:53 PM
I knew I couldn't handle the worry of a false positive...and the waiting to have follow up tests done so I didn't do any of the screens done. I hope that the time passes quickly for you. Try not to worry! btw, they should be able to tell you what your odds are based on the results (typically you'll see something like a 1:1000 vs a 1:2000 or something like that which could be reassuring for some).

Take care!!

Beth

TraciG
08-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks everyone for responding.

I called the genetic counselor to ask of she can go over the results again & explain it to me since I don't understand it.

I did have a sonogram then a blood test.

o_mom
08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Write down everything so you can look it up later.

A "positive" screen is usually that the risk is higher than expected for your age. So, a "positive" for you might be "negative" for someone 5 years older. The actual risk that they give you is more meaningful, IMO, than the positive result. Even a 1:100 means that there is a 99% chance nothing is wrong, but that may be considered "postive" if someone has a very low risk otherwise.