PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take a sewing class through city recs?

maestramommy
08-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Our city has adult school year round with all sorts of fun classes. One category is called mandated courses, which are funded by the state. They tend to be vocational, GED, parenting, and life skills classes. The sewing class I'm thinking of taking is under Home Ec. It's only $25 for 13 weeks, 3 hours each. You have to bring a yard of material, thread, and shears to the class, they having sewing machines. This class is called sewing basics, so it's for people to work on something at their own level, and teaches you how to sew clothes for your family, do some home decor things, etc.

Compared to this, JoAnn Fabric has sewing basics classes also, but they are by garment. Like, level I is elastic waist pants, level II is jumpers. It's $60 for 2 sessions. Each class meeting is also 3 hours.

At $25 I figure I can't lose unless for some reason the instructor is bad or it's just a waste of time. Anyone ever take this type of class? Or the JoAnn classes? I'm not going to enroll until January, so I have plenty of time to decide, but I'm curious if anyone has BTDT feedback.

Corie
08-23-2007, 07:59 PM
I say Go for it! It sounds like fun! :)

s7714
08-24-2007, 04:03 PM
I took a few classes through the local college while in high school. I already knew basic sewing from my mom, but I wanted to learn how to do harder or more technical things. The first two classes I took were great. Fabulous teacher, who really knew her stuff and how to teach it to others. The third class I took was terrible because the teacher knew less than most of the students in the class and had no teaching skills what so ever.

For $25 I'd say give it a try, but see if you can find out some info. about the teacher before hand.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

katydid1971
08-24-2007, 08:36 PM
MIL teaches classes like this and gets a lot of repeat students who enjoy taking the class and improving their skill. Eithor class would be nice, JoAnn's will likely try and sell you items (I took a great cooking class at a high end cooking store and bought so much stuff that they said I "had to have") But they might offer you a discount at the same time. Try one now and one later and see which instructor you like better. Eithor way it will be nice to get out of the house and meet some new people.
Sarah