PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if I have dropped?

moncheechee
08-25-2007, 08:47 PM
I am 9 mos preg. on Tues. and feel so heavy down there. It hurts for me to walk sometime. I feel a lot of pressure down there. When we went to the grocery store I stayed at the end of the aisle and told my husband what to get and he brought it back to the cart. It just hurt so bad. I feel like I'm haulin around a bowling ball! People keep tellin me to look at my stomach but I have gi-normous boobs and can't see my stomach!!! I can't remember what I looked like before when I look in the mirror either. My pants are all low waisted but it hurts now to wear them for long periods unless they are stretchy knit. Please help! I don't go to the dr. til Monday!

Momof3Labs
08-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Well, it really doesn't matter if you have or not, though I know that's not what you want to hear. You can drop weeks, days or hours before labor, or even not until you are in labor. I knew that I had dropped with DS1 because I could breathe easier all of the sudden! With DS2, I felt a huge increase in pressure and pelvic pain each time he dropped (yes, he dropped twice - low and lower). DS1 dropped on Monday and I went into labor on Friday. DS2 dropped two weeks and again 3 days before I went into labor.

jawilli4
08-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi, I have no words of wisdom but just empathy. I totally identify with what you just described. I remember vividly when DD dropped in Costco. I actually felt her descend and thought I was going to go into labor. I waddled uncomfortably around (and sat as much as possible) for a week before I actually delivered DD. I don't think I could have been happier to see her. The light is definitely at the end of the tunnel and you'll be with DC before you know it, too.

Good luck at your appt Monday,
Jan

moncheechee
08-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I know it can take a little or a long time for labor to start after you drop. I just want to know if that is what the pain down there is. I have also not had any stretch marks but since I think I have dropped I now have two right above my underwear line. They hurt too.

SnuggleBuggles
08-25-2007, 10:42 PM
I remember that bowling ball about to come out feeling. I would get that often in the final weeks.

For certainty you could ask about an internal exam. They can assess effacement, dilation and baby's station. However, I personally don't like repeated cervical checks. Maybe like one at 39 weeks just for curiosity's sake. But, since none of those things mean squat with regards to when you will go into labor they can really get your hopes up or down. I think it is just as hard to hear 4cm, 90% and 0 station as it is 0cm, 0% and baby floating/ high. Labor will happen anytime regardless of that stuff. :) Best not to be like, "why aren't in labor now if my cervix is ready???" or, "I'm never going to go into labor naturally."

However, for a concrete answer on getting an answer, check out this link:
http://prepforlabor.tripod.com/id14.html
and just some more thoughts on internal exams:
http://prepforlabor.tripod.com/id12.html

I know some moms will say that they visibly look different overnight. But, baby's descent can be more gradual and not nearly as noticeable.

My ds never dropped till I was in active labor. I was -1 in the weeks leading up to labor so low but not officially dropped.

Just know that that feeling is normal (my Dr. Sears' "Pregnancy Book" is the one that does the most thorough job describing it's normalcy :)). If only labor would be as easy as baby just coming out, is what I always thought when I would get that heavy pressure. Baby could be low or high but it doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. Hang in there!

Beth

ETA this from the Dr. Sears' site:

"EXPERIENCING NEW PELVIC PRESSURES

As your baby descends into your pelvic cavity, you may find yourself prone to sharp, stabbing pains at the base of your spine or in the middle of your pelvic bone, making it uncomfortable to walk. The increased pelvic aches and pains of the ninth month are most likely due to the relaxation and stretching of your pelvic ligaments in preparation for the job to come. You can ease these discomforts by changing positions. Continue to exercise gently every day. If you cannot walk or exercise without pain, a chiropractor experienced in working on pregnant bodies can give you some gentle pelvic adjustments to get your hips back in balance. It is our personal theory that chiropractic attention in pregnancy not only helps avoid or relieve back pain, but also can affect your labor by helping your back and pelvic structures be better prepared to handle the stresses of labor and birth."

http://askdrsears.com/html/1/T010900.asp