PDA

View Full Version : We found a stray ferret!

JoyNChrist
08-26-2007, 11:58 PM
I swear, y'all - my life should be a sitcom.

So last night DH and I decided that we were in the mood for Chinese food, so we pick up Avery and the diaper bag and head out the door of the camper. As I'm walking to the car, I see something peeking out from behind the front passenger side tire. I thought it was a cat, but I didn't want DH to accidentally run over it, so I walked over there intending to shoo it away. But when I got closer, I saw it was a ferret, so I stopped walking and just started laughing (because, really, how often do you see that?). While I was standing there, it walked up to me and tried to crawl up the leg of my jeans. Not cool. So I kind of freak out and DH comes over and just picks it up. I thought for sure it would bite him or something, but it seemed perfectly happy. It's very playful and friendly, and it doesn't seem to be sick or have any fleas or anything. Still, I didn't want me or DH touching it too much before we had it checked by a vet, so it's currently living in our dog's crate (which the dog loves, by the way, since that means he gets to sleep in our bed at night). We stopped at a PetCo and got it a water bottle and some ferret food, so I guess it's okay for a while.

But I don't want to keep the ferret! We went around the neighborhood asking about it today (since it's obviously a pet), but so far nobody has claimed it. I'm going to put out fliers tomorrow, but what do I do if nobody comes forward? Can you bring a ferret to a regular animal shelter? Do they have ferret rescues?

DH likes it, but we're not keeping the ferret. I have my hands full enough, thank you very much.

We. Are. NOT. Keeping. The. Ferret.

Marisa6826
08-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Be super careful about washing your hands after playing/touching the ferret - esp. now that you're preggo. Even friendly ferrets can bite when they get too excited from playing. I learned that the hard way. ;)

According to a Google search, there seems to be quite the ferret rescue system in place. I can't remember where you live, but there were lots of them.

I would put signs up at local vets, as well as the neighbourhood. Do you have a local craigslist that you can post to?

-m

JoyNChrist
08-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I'm trying not to really have anything to do with it. To be honest, it kind of freaks me out...a bit too rodent-like for my taste. But I didn't want to just leave it running around to get hit by a car or eaten or something.

I'm not sure how active the NOLA Craigslist is, but it's worth a shot. And giving the vets a heads up is a good idea. Any idea how long I should keep it before sending it to a rescue or whatever? I don't want to give away somebody's pet, but I also don't want to be stuck cleaning up after the little guy (or gal) for too long.

wilelm
08-27-2007, 07:38 AM
I really don't want to freak you out, but make sure you keep it in the dog crate until you get rid of it. I know lots of people have had ferrets with no problems, but they're actually illegal to own in some states because they have a history of attacking/biting small children.

Sheila

ETA: I found this article explaining more about ferrets. They're illegal in California and Hawaii, and some cities around the country. As this article points out, there are many more reports of babies or young children being bitten by cats or dogs. But of course, I'm sure there are many more cats and dogs kept as pets than ferrets, so not a very fair comparison, in my opinion.

http://www.animalsexotique.com/ferrett.html

Marisa6826
08-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Any reputable rescue will keep the ferret in 'foster care' for a couple weeks. This is primarily to get a good idea of the ferret's "personality quirks". (I know - stop laughing.) At least that's how it works with dog rescue.

Also, when I was doing French Bulldog rescue, there was more than one occasion where the owner was found. Upon proof of ownership, and insertion of an ID chip, the dog was returned to them.

Here's a ferret rescue in your area (I think)

The Frazzled Ferret Organization
Director: Samantha Newcomb
Director: Nancy Bardwell
Shreveport/Bossier City, LA 71104
(318) 868-4164
Alternate Phone: (318) 469-3643
E-Mail: [email protected]
Alternate E-Mail: [email protected]
Petfinder: http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/LA172.html

I found it here: http://www.ferret.org/links/shelters.shtm#LA

I'd give the lady in Shreveport a call or drop her an email. At least she can give you an idea of how their particular rescue works.

-m

JoyNChrist
08-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks, mama!

I've got an e-mail out to her, and if I don't hear back by this afternoon I'll give her a call.

I actually went to college in Shreveport. It's about 3 hours from my hometown and about 7 hours from New Orleans (where we are now), but I like to go there to visit my alumni buddies, so maybe if this lady can take the critter, I can turn it into a fun trip.

Thanks again!

missym
08-27-2007, 10:36 AM
The reasons they are illegal in CA and HI don't have as much to do with bites as to them being incorrectly classified as wild animals who are a threat to local species if they were to become feral and/or as carriers of rabies.

I will say as a former ferret owner that I would not allow a ferret near an infant for the baby's safety. IMO, ferrets have an instinctual response to a "wounded rabbit" sound like a squeaky toy - I would worry an infant cry might set that off too. I also wouldn't have a ferret with smaller children in the house for fear of the kids injuring the ferret.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

http://bf.lilypie.com/r2Qhm4.png

lizajane
08-27-2007, 10:37 AM
omg, what entertainment. i had a work associate who found a stray OSTRICH in her yard!!!!!!

Melanie
08-27-2007, 10:45 AM
"The reasons they are illegal in CA and HI don't have as much to do with bites as to them being incorrectly classified as wild animals who are a threat to local species if they were to become feral and/or as carriers of rabies."

That's what I have heard as well, since they are carnivorous. So I wonder, where is a Ferret indigenous to? They seem very sweet the one time I played with them (as an ADULT! Not advocating keeping it), but stinky. Maybe because they were males? Lots of people smuggle them into California and it amuses me that there are so many 'accessories' readily available at the pet shops for a banned animal.

scoop22
08-27-2007, 10:47 AM
your story made me laugh. thanks. your life is so exciting now. never a dull moment, right? do you go for your ultrasound today? keep us posted on the ferret and the baby..
http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

buddyleebaby
08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
All ferrets are stinky. They do something to make them less stinky...removal of glands? I can't remember now. But even after the procedure, they still smell musky.

My brother had a pet ferret when we were kids. She was a very sweet animal. She never bit or attempted to bite anyone, and she slept curled up next to the cat. She was stinky though. She also stole jewelery and other shiny objects and hid them under his dresser.

I would be cautious not specifically because it is a ferret, but simply because it is a stray animal.

ETA: I think at the time ferrets were banned here as well. I'm not sure if they still are.

tarabenet
08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Without bothering to actually research (please forgive my laziness!) I think the last wild ferret colonies are the Black Footed Ferrets in the Dakotas. Back when I had a domestic ferret, the wild ones were endangered -- I do remember that part.

Emerson, the domestic ferret had for several year just after college, was a funny, charming little guy. He was descented, meaning they removed the glands that made the real stink, but he still needed a bath every week to keep him from smelling bad. He didn't go for shiny objects, but was really bad about stealing my bras and hiding them under the bathroom sink!

As others have said, I wouldn't let one play with a child. In Em's case, I know he would not have bitten, but he was tiny and would have been fragile himself. With a strange ferret, I'd definitely worry about the child's safety.

You should not not feel badly about leaving the ferret with a rescue group at all! People who love them really love them. This one sounds like a very good little pet and someone will be thrilled to have it, if the original owners don't turn up. The stray is lucky you found it. They get very curious and have a lousy sense of direction, so they are easily lost if they slip away. As domesticated animals, they aren't able to survive well on the loose.

Raidra
08-28-2007, 07:36 PM
The species of ferrets you can get in the pet store are not indigenous to anywhere. There are *no* colonies of feral ferrets anywhere. The blackfooted ferret is a different species of animal, and not actually very closely related to the domesticated ferret. It's believed that domesticated ferrets may have originated from the Russian steppes, but no one is quite sure, as the domesticated ferret has been, well, domesticated.. for so long.

In addition to the issue about them being considered wild in some areas, there are also concerns about ferrets forming feral colonies. Ferrets have no survival instincts and will not do this. In fact, in the 1800s, in NYC (where they are now illegal), they actually attempted to form a feral colony of ferrets to control pests and while they released thousands of ferrets, they were unable to establish a colony.

Ferrets are nearly always descented, and you can bathe them if you wish. However, bathing ferrets will actually cause their glands to produce more oil. A *much* more effective way of controlling any odor is to wash their bedding once a week and to keep their litter box cleaned. Our ferret (the last of our business of five) gets a bath every few months, but her cage gets very frequent cleanings.

If you bring the ferret to a regular shelter, make sure to call ahead and ask how they handle surrendered ferrets. Many animal shelters, even ones that are no-kill for dogs and cats, will still euthanize a ferret because they're not as adoptable. Or they'll just plain refuse to take it in.

katiesmommy
08-30-2007, 07:15 AM
About a year ago DH and I were laying in bed getting ready to go to sleep when he felt something on his back. Thinking it was our cat he reached around to pick it up, that's when we discovered that it was a ferret. Definitly someone's pet. We put up fliers and no one ever claimed it. But it's pretty funny that it tryed to jump in bed with us.