PDA

View Full Version : Two Years Ago... (hijacking Adam's thread... sorry)

gatorruth
08-28-2007, 06:36 AM
We were evacuating from Hurricane Katrina!! We left New Orleans before the hurricane, thank goodness. I flew out with a 2 year old and was 4 mos. pregnant. I have not been back. Our house is STILL for sale (anyone need some waterfront property in New Orleans???)...
It took over one year to get insurance to pay all they owed us. Thank goodness we had insurance... We've been through 3 realtors and 2 renters... and the city will never be the same again...

Anyone else a Katrina evacuee or returnee???

MeAndMyStar
08-28-2007, 09:33 AM
My sister left New Orleans a few days before the hurricane hit. She had no idea it was going to be as serious as it turned out to be... she just happened to be coming to visit us in New England. She was sooo lucky, but many of her friends lost everything, some were trapped for days. She is now living back there, but says so much has changed since Katrina. :(

JustMe
08-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi there,

I have no personal connection to Katrina, but I am sorry for what you have gone through.

I noticed that Oprah is having a show about what it is like there this coming Wednesday.

Robyn

AngelaS
08-28-2007, 11:38 PM
My favorite uncle and his family evacuated before the hurricane hit and returned weeks later to their house that was flooded when the levy broke. They lived in Houston for a year and are now back in their restored house. I believe that in the last couple of months the house is FINALLY finished and completely liveable again. The kids are back in school and aside from my uncle getting diagnosed w/cancer, things are 'normal' again. They're hoping he'll be done w/chemo before the next hurricane hits.....