PDA

View Full Version : Can recall notices please be left in the Lounge as well?

cdlamis
08-28-2007, 06:08 PM
I noticed the recent watering can recall post was moved to Around the House. Since many of us don't visit other forums as much as we used to but may have this recalled item, it would be nice if recall notices could be placed here as well.

Anyone else agree?

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04
"http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif"

himom
08-28-2007, 07:59 PM
I think keeping recall notices in the lounge is a great idea. Cross-posting to both places is even better.

I never would have seen the Thomas recall if it had only been in around the house.

Jodi

kep
08-28-2007, 08:19 PM
>I think keeping recall notices in the lounge is a great idea.
> Cross-posting to both places is even better.

Yep, I totally agree. I usually don't make it into all of the other forums, so I really appreciate when a recall notice is left up in the lounge.

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

Marisa6826
08-28-2007, 08:43 PM
The thread title is still there, it just links to its new 'home' in Around the House. That way, it is basically cross posted, without having technically post twice. We're really trying to keep actual cross posts to a minimum as it tends to create confusion when people start replying to the same thread in two different locations.

Given all the recent recalls, I'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't start some sort of consumer safety forum to cover all these problems with both food, toys, gear, etc.

What do you guys think about that (we'd still have to run it past the Fields, but it would be helpful to have a consensus either way)?

-m

kep
08-28-2007, 08:55 PM
I think that would be a good idea. Maybe there can be some kind of heads-up in the lounge about a new recall, with a link to see the other forum for further info. And of course, we could just check the new forum from time to time as well. :)

Kelli

KrisM
08-28-2007, 08:57 PM
While the title is still there, it'll get burried since you can't reply to it.

I think a seperate forum is a great idea.

himom
08-28-2007, 09:15 PM
I agree with KrisM -- unless you pin it, a locked post gets buried pretty quick. So locking it in the lounge and moving it to AtH is pretty much the same as having it only in AtH.

I don't know that only a new forum is a great idea, since you run into the same problems. Recalls, while frequent, aren't an every day thing, so we (again) wouldn't be checking the consumer safety folder everyday.

When it's important that parents learn something quickly, I really think a pinned post in the lounge is the way to go.

How does this plan sound?
1. Recall is announced. Pin it in both the lounge and Around the House for a specified period of time. (One week??) To avoid duplicate conversation threads, perhaps these two posts can both be locked "no reply" posts. Also cross post to new "consumer safety" folder -- not pinned, not locked. Any conversation can take place there.

2. When the week is up, remove pinned posts from the lounge and AtH. Keep the one in the recall folder for posterity.

Does that sound like it would work? Everybody's informed, nobody's confused?

Jodi

Fairy
08-28-2007, 10:23 PM
The problem with pinning things is that suddenly you get alot of pinning going on, and then someone has to make a decision when the time has come to unpin, and some of this stuff is hard to say when it is and is not timely any longer. I dread creating yet another forum; however, that might be the right answer. Along with this, we as a community should start getting in the habit of getting out of the lounge once in a while. I, myself, am a terrible offender of coming to the lounge and not leaving. As a mod, I do more scouting about, but still not that much. I SHOULD be going to certain other forums for some stuff, but I find myself back in the lounge because there's not too much play in some of the others. If we all went to the right forum for the right thing, we'd get more traffic.

Another thing? This is not the best script ever. Many other BB scripts allow for a general view of all posts, so you can see what's there, and you can reply to it, and it stays in the right forum. Plus other more robust features. To clarify, we do actually have this feature, but it's kludgy and difficult to use; not just a one-click-and-you're-there deal. DCForum is older than dirt. We'll eventually get a new script, but for today, there's no change available (DCForum is now a legacy product).

Anyway, so I like all of these ideas, I just see complications with them -- I'd like to see more traffic in other forums. Including my own traffic!

Hey I posted a poll in Butts ...

ETC to clarify

himom
08-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Maybe you can just say that posts announcing a CPSC recall are automatically pinned for exactly 7 days. That way you know exactly what qualifies and how long it should stay up. I think recalls are pin-worthy, no?

As for visiting around in places other than the lounge, I agree with you. I'm also guilty of this, since I pretty much only hop on for 5-10 minutes and tend to stay in only 3 or 4 forums. However, I don't think we should use recalls as a way to try to make people become more BBB diverse -- they're just too important.

And I didn't know that about the script. You definitely have my sympathies!

j

Fairy
08-29-2007, 12:40 AM
Ya know, I don't disagree with you about the recall notices. They are important. The mods will put our heads together and come up with something that we hope will address this need. Maybe pinning, maybe another forum, maybe a pseudo-cross post. I dunno. Bleary-eyed. But! We'll talk and figure somethin' out. Thanks to you and all who are coming up with ideas! -- Fairy

JElaineB
08-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Just an FYI to all of those who may not be aware of it - you can subscribe to an email list and get notices of all CPSC recalls pertaining to children's items (there are several other lists as well). I have done that for several years and it only takes a minute to check the email, and I find out about all the recalls directly. Just go to http://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx to sign up. I am on the list called "child".

Jennifer

kep
08-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Wow, thanks for the great link. That's a list that I will definately join. Thanks, Jennifer! :)

Kelli