PDA

View Full Version : Would you have an outdoor birthday party in November?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-28-2007, 11:32 PM
We're considering having an outdoor party at one of the local city parks for the childrens big family birthday party. Since we celebrate both of them at the same time it can get a little boisterous and we have a big family and a smallish house. The location would definatly have a shelter with a roof, and hopefully have electricity so we can have the bouncy house up.
I was thinking of doing a harvest theme,maybe with a hayride. A paint your own pumpkin for all the cousins. Also, if we have electricity then we can keep hot food and drinks hot. The tricky part is of course the weather,if it's nice early november weather then GREAT. But if it's wet and cold then we're in trouble. So would you guys do it?

Also-DD LOVES elvis. Would having an elvis impersonator come and sing happy birthday for her be just too weird?

C99
08-29-2007, 12:15 AM
No - unless it was a skating/sledding party and there would be a warm indoor component to it. I live in Chicago and the weather in November is just too iffy.

Fairy
08-29-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm with Caroline; nope. Chicago Novembers are just truly winter for us half the time. Now, if the bdays are in early November, how aobut moving the parties a bit early and doing a party in mid-October and have a harvest or Halloween theme? If you're not a Halloween person, there's still tons you can do with Harvest. You can have it at a pumpkin patch. We have tons of them around the Chicago suburbs, and most of them come with tons of activities and an indoor area and/or shelter. it's a thought!

If you wanna go inside, how about at the mall at a Build a Bear. Can get pricey, tho.

purpleeyes
08-29-2007, 08:14 AM
I absolutely would, esp. at beginning of Nov. But we're in VA, and it can still be very comfortable here around then. I like the other posts idea to do it in Oct at a pumpkin patch, lots of stuff to do, plus the weather is a little better.
Anything to keep tons of people out of the house would work for me! :)

Beth

Marisa6826
08-29-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm in NJ, and I'd say probably not. Most of the time, November is pretty cold/wet. Too dicey to hope for a mild day.

-m

daniele_ut
08-29-2007, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't try an outdoor party in November where we live in Utah. It will most likely be too cold by then here. We have done an outdoor party in mid-october and we did ok, though.

g-mama
08-29-2007, 08:32 AM
I would do it if it was in early November, especially if you do a harvest/fall theme. It depends where you live though. I'm in VA and we still do lots of outdoor activities in November, like hayrides, the pumpkin patch...some of our best memories are with the kids doing outdoor stuff wearing cute, wooly sweaters!

The weather can be iffy, but that's the case anytime you do an outdoor party. We just had ds' party in our backyard on Sunday and it threatened to thunderstorm the whole time, but fortunately, it held out.

Finally, I don't know about the Elvis impersonator. Most kids will not know who Elvis is and would find it a bit odd, IMO.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

miki
08-29-2007, 08:39 AM
I would only do it if it's not very likely to be wet, cold wouldn't bother me. The carnival for DD's school was a little later in the fall than usual and it was drizzling all day. The kids didn't care but it was miserable for the parents. It'd be more bearable if your picnic shelter was big enough so that everyone could sit under it when it was time to eat. And it was a total PITA to have to deflate bounce houses and lay them out to dry.

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2007, 08:52 AM
If it was the 1st weekend of November I would do it. If it were mid-late November then no. I love fall days and wouldn't be off put if it were dreary even. Now, if it is freakishly cold you need to have an indoor back up plan. I think you should keep your house in reserve. A crowded house isn't always a bad thing. :)

Beth

gatorsmom
08-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Nope- but I live in Minnesota. No one would come, anyway. Too cold, brr.

If I still lived in Texas, then absolutely. Oh, and I think the Elvis impersonator would go right over the kids' heads. Either that or scare them.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

almostamom
08-29-2007, 04:36 PM
DS was born in November, and we have his bday party outdoors every year. My wedding was outdoors in November also, however, I live in AZ. November is one of our most beautiful months weather-wise.

Linda

kransden
08-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Sure I would, but I live in Phoenix lol! Since I know where you live in the midwest, I think it would be poor idea. It just rains and is cold too often. Check the local YMCAs for a room or some surrounding cities' rec centers, like the Height's swim party package.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02