PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm Sophie and I'm a Swaddle-a-holic

SummerBaby
08-30-2007, 02:42 PM
So the Miracle Blanket was a complete success for us. It worked so well for DD#2 (4 weeks old) that she can't sleep without it- at all. She is completely addicted. I try to leave her out of it while nursing and awake, but she eventually loses it and won't settle down until I put the blanket back on her.

I'm concerned because the directions say not to swaddle for more than 10 hours per day due to development concers. On the other hand, she has such a hard time sleeping to begin with (I have to hold her or put her in the swing), I am totally desperate. She also has reflux, so I really need something that calms her. The ped told me not to worry, and to do what I have to in order to get her to sleep, but of course I worry anyway.

How do wean from swaddling without losing your mind?????? And your sleep????

Val
DD#1 July 2004
DD#2 July 2007

o_mom
08-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Um, DS3 is 3.5 months and still swaddled or swinging for any kind of decent sleep....I am actually going to make a bigger MB because he is huge and we can barely fit it around him any more. I have decided I'm not going to worry about it until there is a real need to wean him off the swaddle.

maestramommy
08-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Are you kidding? This is for your dd that was born last month, right? I swaddled my first dd until she was 5 months old for all sleeping. I would say that's well over 10 hours a day. dd2 same thing, although my problem is that she is getting big so fast I'm afraid she will outgrow it before she outgrows the need to be swaddled. I've never heard of the development concerns (guess I didn't read the directions closely enough LOL!), but we've never had any problems from using it.

maestramommy
08-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Hey, is there such a thing as an XL MB? I'm in the same boat. Arwyn is rather big and so powerful, it just doesn't contain her well.

bubbaray
08-30-2007, 03:35 PM
DD#2 is still partially swaddled (she's 7m) b/c she scratches herself so badly b/c of her eczema. We are currently weaning her off of swaddling by leaving one arm out, but swaddling the other.

I didn't worry about the swaddling for sleep leading to developmental problems. I recently started worrying b/c she was able to roll even while swaddled, not a good thing. That is why we are weaning her from it. FWIW, my DD#2 wore hand socks (like mitts) for months b/c she was scratching so badly. None of the 6 drs she saw for her eczema was worried about developmental delays.

At 4wo I woudln't worry about it AT ALL.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

o_mom
08-30-2007, 03:35 PM
I haven't found any to buy. I got a yard of cotton interlock at JoAnn last week and I'm just going to try and wing it making one a bit bigger than the original.

scoop22
08-30-2007, 03:38 PM
we swaddled ds till he was 7 mo old. i to worried about the developmental issues but they soon passed. it was tough to break him of it once he grew out of the XL. but a few tuck ins a night and we made it. thank goodness we had the mb. i would have never slept without it. good luck.

http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

SummerBaby
09-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks for making me not worry! I noticed some of you said they make an XL miracle blanket. DD is very big- 9 bs 12 oz at birth and 11+ lbs now. She's also very long and her feet are at the bottom of the pouch, and she is starting to be able to get her arms out of the blanket, which of course, wakes her up. Can I get a bigger one? How are all of you with older babies fitting them in it?

Val
DD#1 July 2004
DD#2 July 2007

bubbaray
09-02-2007, 07:23 PM
I am using Swaddle Me's (I think that's what they are called, they are by Kiddopotomus) in size L.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

rgors
09-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Ditto the swaddle Mes. All of my friends use it too -- in fact, none of us have ever tried the miracle blanket because it is more expensive and the swaddle-me's worked just fine, so why spend more?

We just graduated to the "L" of the Swaddle me. My DD is 13 pounds. The smaller size is supposed to be up to 14 pounds and the larger size is supposed to start at 15 pounds, but the smaller size was getting tight. We throw ours in the dryer so they might have shrunk some?

A tip with the swaddle me, if you decide to try it -- when we pull the wings over, we pull across and then down toward the hip before fastening the velcro. The top of the swaddle me is shaped to hug over the shoulders, and pulling the wings slightly down ensures that the shoulders are well-swaddled. When we do it that way, her arms never escape. If we "forget" then we occasionally find that she's wiggled out.

BaileyBea
09-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Hey Val,

Relax.. if it ain't broke don't fix it.. ya know.

Your DD loves being swaddled and with reflux you should really go with what works for you at least for the next 8 weeks or so. It won't hurt her. It's okay. It's not like she's swaddled 24/7 and it's not like the swaddling time will gradually be less and less over the next few months.

Big (HUG) hang in there! Those first few weeks are tough but you are doing a great job listening to your DD #2.

Nancy (who swaddled her son until he was 6 mths old. He made a very cute baby burrito ;-) Ha Ha)

o_mom
09-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Mine could escape the SwaddleMe from about 3 wks old, no matter how we wrapped it. The velcro never lined up, either so it would not stay fastened. We switched to the Miracle Blanket and it was completely escape-proof.

newnana
09-04-2007, 10:29 AM
We swaddled DD until she was almost 2. She never wanted her arms swaddled, but the rest of her body she always did. One of Grandma's friends just made large square blankets for us. Completely weird, but it worked for us. No developmental problems here. HTH