PDA

View Full Version : Chai Lattes and pregnant???

spencersmommy
09-02-2007, 01:31 AM
I know most herbal teas are safe during pregnancy, but about chai lattes (black tea)? Had a cup at Starbucks tonight and then had bad stomach cramps. Coincidence or not? Thanks for any help!

purpleeyes
09-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Was there milk in the tea? I have noticed w/ this pregnancy that my self-diagnosed lactose intolerance is way worse. I can't do milk or ice cream-even in coffee drinks. When I go to Starbucks I get the vanilla latte decaf with soy.

Beth

gordo
09-02-2007, 07:30 AM
I drank Chai while pregnant but I believe it has more caffiene than coffee does.

I had the opposite effect with milk while pregnant. I am lacotse intolerant and was able to drink milk, eat ice cream, etc throughout my entire pregnancy without problems.

Fairy
09-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Back when I was pregnant three years ago, I was told no herbal tea at all. It changes every other minute what's ok and what's not. I couldn't keep up even then, so I just drank water, water, water. I had maybe three regular black iced teas at Starbucks, and that's it. To say I was jonesin' would be an understatement.

cleo27
09-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Did I miss an announcement.... :)

I never had trouble with Chai during my pregnancy.

brittone2
09-02-2007, 01:24 PM
IMO it is probably the sugar, caffeine if you aren't used to it, or the milk, not the herbal aspect. Black tea usually has less caffeine than coffee. The herbal parts of chai are usually spices like cinnamon, anise, nutmeg, cloves, white pepper, etc. None of those as far as I know are a no-no in normal edible amounts.

I think most precautions against herbal teas are because some herbal teas are meant as tonics/therapeutic teas (things like Licorice Root tea would be a no-no for example). Usually the regular run of the mill grocery store kinda herbal teas aren't a problem, but you can always research your individual ingredients to be sure.

I know when I have a super sugar-y coffee or tea drink, I do get some stomach cramps because my body isn't used to it.

C99
09-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I drank them all the way through my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies and both kids are fine. :)

spencersmommy
09-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks, ladies! I feel better! Yes, forgot to change my signature...we're expecting an April Fool's Baby! Haven't had an ultrasound yet, so that date may change!