PDA

View Full Version : Should I return my All-Clad and exchange for something else?

Marisa6826
09-04-2007, 06:57 AM
What kind of stove do you have?

I have a gas cooktop and LOVE my All-Clad. The discolouration goes away with Bar Keeper's Friend. Also, I don't limit the heat level to only low or medium. I regularly use high heat without giving it a second thought. I also use it in the oven and put it through the dishwasher (we have the stainless line).

If you something that will look box perfect, then you will need a set to look at and a set to cook with. ;)

There's no reason to be super gentle with All-Clad. The stuff it damn near indestructible. I would give it another shot, cooking as you normally would, and if you still don't like it, well, then take it back.

-m

egoldber
09-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Hmm. I love my All Clad and I've never had a problem like that with it. I typically only use low and medium heat, but I have a very high powered faux-commercial cooktop, so I am a bit more careful than I would be with a regular cooktop.

kcandz
09-04-2007, 11:31 AM
I have all-clad and love it. I use a pseudo-commercial gas range. It does take a little longer to preheat at medium than the cheapie stuff I used to have, but the overall quality of heat is ultimately better and I burn less this way. Mine discolors too but I look at it as a badge of honor - no wimpy cookware. :)

Jen841
09-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Isn't slight discoloration a sign of a good cook doing her business? I have never used Bar Keepers friend on mine. They don't shine like the top of the Crysler Building, but I love them. I never could successfully make any cream sauces or a roux before these pots and pans.

I would vote for giving them another try. All my friends with them would not trade them in for anything else.

kusumat
09-04-2007, 02:23 PM
http://dld123.com/q&a/index.php?cid=340

We have a gas cooktop too. I did call WS about the issue and was told to use Bar Keeper's Friend. Thought I heard that it was toxic(referred to the link above).

I also have a stainless one and am still thinking whether I should change to LTD. It may solve the preheat time issue but not the discolor one.

dogmom
09-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Why kind of discoloration? Do you have well water? Can it be iron in the water? The advantages of All-Clad I found is not how quickly it heats up, but how evenly it heats and how well it holds it heat. Also, I found the dishwasher is not the best way to clean it. I LOVE my All-Clad, but my family is from Pittsburgh and I always get mine in their bi-annual factory sale. So if it's not your cup of tea I would consider spending you money on something else since it is so expensive.

Here's the FAQ from All-Clad: http://www.all-clad.com/consumer-service/frequently-asked-questions/

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve 6/18/06

kusumat
09-04-2007, 02:51 PM
It look like rainbow and cloud mark. Our water is groundwater and no much in iron according to the city water report.

I only handwash it with seventh generation or method dish soap and sponge. I wonder why it recommend to use Barkeeper when it is considered toxic.

DrSally
09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I agree, I don't have All Clad, but another high-end SS set. It takes longer to heat up b/c it is thicker, which is higher quality. The thickness allows for better heat retention and more even heating

kusumat
09-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I just bought a set of All-Clad stainless steel from WS. I started to use a saucepan first and was really disappointed that it took a long time(5 mins or more) to preheat, not 1-2 mins noted on the instruction. The worst part is the discoloration in the interior and I only used low or medium heat.

I am debating whether I should take the whole set back to WS and exchange it with something else. Well, I thought I got the best. Now, what should I get?

Thanks,

Marisa6826
09-05-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't know what to tell you about Bar Keeper's Friend. You have to make your own decisions about what you feel is right for you and your family. Obviously, nobody can do that for you. But it's not like you're leaving it in the pan and dredging your food in it ;). It only takes about 1/8 tsp to get a pan clean. Really. I've had the same can of powder for almost four years and it's virtually full. They also recently came out with it in a liquid/soft paste form if your concern is inhaling the powder.

According to barkeepersfriend.com, it's not toxic. It also comes with the blessing of all these companies: http://barkeepersfriend.com/links.htm

With regard to switching out the type of All-Clad, the LTD ones can't go in the dishwasher. http://www.all-clad.com/collections/LTD/CareAndUse/

I think the only way you are going to get around discolouration is to go with something like Le Crueset that doesn't have exposed metal, kwim?

-m

fortato
09-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Maybe you got a faulty saucepan....

I love my All-Clad...I beat the hell out of it too. I swear, you could take away my microwave, but if you try to take my All-clad, I will kick you in the croutons.

Happy 2B mommy
09-08-2007, 11:15 PM
ahhh, that cloudy rainbow look is what my mother used to call a pot 'losing it's temper' and it has to do with uneven/too hot heat. She said that usually happens because food residue is stuck to the bottom of the pot or pan. The food residue heats more quickly and the stainless steel gets hotter in those areas and causes the discoloration. It also happens if you heat an empty pot first and then put water/food in it. Again, the change in temp.

I grew up using old Vollrath cookware and the only acceptable way to clean stainless steel cookware (according to my mother) is to use bon ami or baking soda and scrub the pot with steel wool; this ensures any and all food particles are completely removed. To this day I clean my stainless steel cookware like this and it looks beautiful and shiny. (have also used Bar keepers Friend and really like it. Less elbow grease than the baking soda or bon-ami. Also have used the 3M scratchy green thingy instead of the steel wool) I don't own any All-clad, as I am still using the Vollrath stainless steel that my mother and grandma used (I think my oldest pot was manufactured pre WWII). Quite simply, using a sponge and dishsoap is great for teflon/ non-stick cookware, but is too wimpy to get Stainless steel clean.

Anyway, just my mothers advice. Hope it helps