PDA

View Full Version : House on fire, 100 people watching, 1 person offers to help (long)

mariza
09-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Please don't move me to bitching, this is really a "grateful" post and not a "bitch" because thank God there was that 1 person out there!
Tonight DH had a chance to go to the Red Sox game and asked me if it was ok, since the poor guy doesn't have many friends since we moved to MA last year I told him go. It just so happens that my Mom who lives downstairs from us in this 3 family house was also out of town for the weekend. I finally got bot kids to sleep and was just getting ready for bed myself when at 10pm there was obsessive ringing on my doorbell. I looked out my kitchen window to see who was in the driveway and don't see any cars, but I do see burning embers floating by in the wind. I then go to the front door as I'm calling DH to tell him there is a crazy person ringing the front door (at this point I'm still not making the connection). Just as I go down the stairs I see the firetruck turn the corner and fireman begin pouring into my entryway telling me to get everyone out of the house. Apparently there was a fire in the apartment upstairs from ours.
I grab the baby and a fireman walks in telling me to get him outside and I tell him I have a sleeping 2 year old too, but he doesn't offer to help or get anyone else to help. So now I'm in my pj's and looking for shoes and the first pair I see are clogs with a 1.5" chunky heal (remember I'm in my pjs and braless - pretty sight!) lugging a sleepy 25lb 1 yo to his sleeping like a log 28lb 2.5yo sisters room. Now trying to carry both kids and grabbing my cell phone and purse only to realize that DH mistakenly took my car keys to the Sox game (grrr!) Thankfully my Mom has my extra set hanging in her apt. which was open so I run in there with both kids, poor DD just laying on the floor to go back to sllep everytime we stopped while me begging her "come on baby, just get to the carseat and you can go back to sleep"
Now dragging 50+lbs of collected kid in my arms trying to fumble with the car keys, 1 person out of countless faces watching me comes over and offers to help. She grabs DD and buckles her in her carseat, I put DS in his, she offers to back the car out for me cuz I'm shaking like a leaf at this point, but manage to back out of the driveway myself. She offers to stay with the kids since I am worried about my upstairs neighbor so I let her while I go to the front of the house 9we live on a corner) and ask the firemen if they got her out. They point to someone on the front stoop and ask if it's her, and it is. I go ask if she's ok and she is stinking drunk (not uncommon) acting like what is all the fuss about. By now I've learned the fire started on her back porch which is directly above my bedroom and she's acting like the firemen just randomly showed up for no reason. She's trying to hug me and tell me she she loves me (can you say drunky-drunk!) Annoyed i tell her I've got the kids in the car and I'm glad she's ok, but I need to go back to the kids. She says "why are the kids in the car?" umm, cuz I had to get them out of the house, "why" she says, I finally loose it and say "because the f**king house is on fire!" and she kind of waves her hand and blows a big fat raspberry! I had to leave or I would have smacked her in front of all those people!
I go check on the kids who are confused but ok and while crossing the street to see if a fireman or cop knows what happend, I fall from the cracked unven street in my 1.5 inch clogs and twisted my ankle something nasty.
At this point DH pulls up, sees me sitting on the curb crying with an EMT putting an ice pack on my ankle, goes to check on the kids and puts on a Caillou DVD on for them. By now the firemen have put out the fire and told us our aptartment is ok and we can go back.
Apparently the fire was started by a cigarette that was carelessly put out (or not put out!) he said the upstairs neighbor has her porch littered with cigarette butts! DH is sooooo p*ssed (O'm too shaken to be angry yet) but he is going to talk with her when she sobers up.
When we try to get DD out of the car she just cries that she wants to watch Caillou, completley unfazed by the nights events and I love her for that!
BTW, the saint who sat with them is also the same woman who lives behing us and called 911 in the first place. Lessons learned:
I smelled smoke an hour before all of this happened, but the crazy neigbors next to us have parties every weekend so I didn't think twice about it assuming they were grilling or having an outdoor fire. So, please learn from me; if you smell smoke, don't assume anything and find out the source! If you stuck with me this long, thank you! My ankle is killing me and I can't sleep and just needed to vent and get this out of my system!
(forgive my spelling errors, I know ther must be tons but I am in no mood to proofread!!!)
Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1" DD 1/05
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

himom
09-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Wow, what a story! I'm glad you and the kids are okay.

Can you have that neighbor evicted? That's really scary.

Marisa6826
09-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Oh, Mariza-

Thank God you're all OK. Is there anyway you can use this to get your upstairs neighbour evicted? She essentially is putting everyone in harm's way by her repeated carelessness.

You've got yourself an angel in that lady that helped you. Everybody needs one, and you definitely have one now! ;)

Keep an eye on that ankle. I thought I had just twisted mine (I never even fell - just rolled it) and it turned out to be broken.

Big hugs

-m

sidmand
09-04-2007, 06:56 AM
I'm glad everything turned out okay in the end, but what a scary night! I'm glad everyone is okay and sorry no one else was willing to help out.

Take care of yourself and your family!

Debbie
http://b3.lilypie.com/WT7Im4/.png[/img] (][img)

KBecks
09-04-2007, 08:18 AM
I am so glad you are OK (except for the ankle - ouch!). What a terrifying experience!

Also glad your apt/house was not damaged. Thank goodness for that.

gatorsmom
09-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Thank God you are ok. And thank God you can think quickly. When something like that is happening, I feel like my feet can move faster than my head.

We had a gas scare last January and I had just got out of the shower when DH yelled to get the kids and get in the car. So I'm grabbing my clothes and kids and diaper bag and keys and praying that I don't start a static spark all while DH is trying to open windows before the fire and police came. The house turned out to be completely full of gas because of a little mistake the roofer made last summer.

I'm so glad that your apartment is ok and Yeah, I'd try to have the drunken sod evicted. sheesh...

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Nooknookmom
09-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Wow how scary for you and the kids. I sure hope the landlord evicts her! She's a threat to life & property (maybe that angle will get him moving!)

Glad your all ok!

newnana
09-04-2007, 10:08 AM
wow, that is an incredible story. So glad you all are (mostly) okay!

buddyleebaby
09-04-2007, 10:17 AM
I am glad you are ok. I live in an apartment building and a fire started by a careless neighbor is one of my biggest fears.

I can not believe that firefighter did not help you. Getting everyone out safely is the first priority.

mariza
09-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Wow Marisa,
I'm glad you posted because even though it is still throbbing I just finished telling DH "why go to the doctor, they'll just tell me to elevate and ice" but now hearing your story I will definatley go for an x-ray!

Mariza
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

mariza
09-04-2007, 10:26 AM
For all of your kind words, this is such a great place to turn to when it's 0-dark thirty and no one to talk to, or any time for that matter :)
Yes, we are all ok and no damage to our place. Unfortunaltely, my Mom who owned the house decided to turn it into condo's last year. She still owns my apartment and hers, but the drunk owns the 3rd floor so there is nothing we can do to get her evicted. She owns the apartment :(
The good thing is the we are moving in 2 weeks (buying a house in the suburbs!!!)
Mariza
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

mariza
09-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Duplicate post, sorry!

Mariza
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

Puddy73
09-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Wow, what a night! Hope your ankle is on the mend soon!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

mommy_someday
09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm so glad everyone is okay and that you're getting out of there in 2 weeks. No way would I want to live anywhere near someone that clueless and careless. I hope she understands the gravity of her actions once she's sobered up. I'm confused as to why the firefighter would have you lug one child to go get another (putting 3 people in harm's way) rather than getting the other child himself. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he must've had a really good reason, but darned if I know what that is! Way to keep a cool head under pressure, mama! I hope your ankle heals quickly and that no other catastrophies happen before you get the heck outta dodge!

Globetrotter
09-04-2007, 02:32 PM
How frightening :( I'm glad you all are okay! I am puzzled as to why the firefighter didn't offer to help, and my only thought is that maybe he didn't hear you?? After all, that's their JOB, isn't it? Kudos to that one lady for doing the right thing.

I am so glad you are moving away from that careless neighbor.

Kris

spunkybaby
09-04-2007, 03:28 PM
So glad that you, the kids, and your apartment are all okay. Big hugs and here's to your new place--may it be a safe dwelling place with great neighbors!

Mom to a spunky preschooler (3/04) and a new spunky Christmas baby (12/06)

kozachka
09-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Hugs, Mariza. What a scary experience! Glad to hear that you are (mostly) OK and are moving out of this house in two weeks.

Marisa6826
09-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Did you go for an X-Ray?

hugs

-m

elliput
09-04-2007, 05:29 PM
I am glad you are all okay and that you aren't put out of your house for a while. {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

How is your ankle? Did you see a doc?

Corie
09-04-2007, 10:12 PM
OMG!! I'm reading your post and I'm totally worried about you and the kids!
Your DH missed a very exciting evening!!

So glad that you & the kids made it out okay and that your apartment is fine.
What a scary night!!

fortato
09-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Mariza-
I'm so glad you and your family are safe.... that was my biggest fear living an an apartment...no matter how careful you are, you can't guarantee that your neighbors are too...

There's a house for sale in my neighborhood.... (in NH) I'll hold it for you....

Hugs....

maestramommy
09-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Wow Mariza! That is so scary. I'm not surprised that the drunk lady probably started the fire. So sorry to hear about it though. Glad that everyone is okay (except your ankle, hugs!).

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-04-2007, 11:46 PM
What a scary night you guys had! I am glad to hear you got out safely and I hope that your ankle heals quickly so that you are back on both feet to move into your new house!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/070720/7cWO.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/5BTxm7/.png[/img][/url]

JustMe
09-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Wow, I am glad you are all okay.

Robyn

mariza
09-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Kristin,
We thought about NH briefly, I really like the proximity to Boston and DH wanted something "county" (he's from GA) but he works in Weymouth so NH was not going to work.
We ended up in Plymouth. The house is smaller than I wanted but I love the plot of land we're on and it's a great family neighborhood. Hopefully no drunks :)

Mariza
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

mariza
09-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Based on Marisa'a post I decided to go get an x-ray so I made an appointment at my MD's office, but she is on maternity leave so I had to see one I've never met before.
She barely touched my ankle, said it looked swollen but doubted it was broken and said we'll get an x-ray "just in case" I tried to point out the areas where the most pain was (left side of left ankle at the bony part - feel like the pain is "under" the bone". Again, she touched other areas except where I was directing her.
MD: Does this hurt (touching top of my foot)
Me: no
MD: how about here?
Me: not really it's more over here in this area
MD: Well I don't think it's broken, but we can rule it out for sure with an xray.

Then I said to her half jokinkly, "well I guess since I'll be down there anyway I should get that mammogram my regular doctor wanted me to get months ago that I've been putting off."
MD: How old are you?
Me: 34
MD: Why would you have a mammogram ordered so young?
Me: because my Mom had Breast Cancer a few years ago, I was told to get my first one at 29 and have them every other year since, but I never got another one.
MD: I'm suprised your regular MD would recommend that, mammograms aren't very helpful in detecting cancer in younger breasts because of the density.
Me: "oh, ok I'll wait to talk with my OB then" thinking to myself, hello Dr. clueless, 34 yo women DO get breast cancer and your recommending that someone with a family history NOT get tested.

So I left there pretty fast, she never even gave me instructions for my ankle except keep it elevated. The xray tech is the one who gave me all the care and treatment advice! And BTW, she was touching and turning it so it was absolutely *killing me* but at least I know she got good pictures of the area I was describing.
I haven't heard back yet, but I'll call this morning for my results.
Boy, am I long winded these days! Thanks for asking and reading my crazy long response :)

Mariza
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

mudder17
09-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Oh Mariza, what a scary story! I'm so glad everyone is okay (except for your poor ankle) and that you had a wonderful angel help you out. I hope they do evict your upstairs neighbor and maybe find her the help she needs. Sending you tons of get-well vibes for your ankle and for the hugs as you deal with the emotional aftermath.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png