PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an IMac?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
09-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Love, like, hate? Any opinions? I need a new computer so badly.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

kcandz
09-04-2007, 11:24 AM
I have an older one. I love it. Everything just works, and it works all togethr. I am contemplating upgrading to the new aluminum ones they just announced.

babystuffbuff
09-04-2007, 12:06 PM
I had one until my husband dragged me, kicking and screaming, into PC Land. I miss my iMac, it was great.

My parents have one and they love it. It is so easy to use. Like the commercials say, there's no step 3. :)

Sarah

supercalifragilous
09-04-2007, 12:45 PM
We have the G5 and love it. I'm pretty basic so it's a no-frills computer and I had to buy MS Office since it doesn't come loaded with anything, but it's great. I love the screen for graphics, plus it is super convenient not having a separate PC to plug things into - everything is in the back of the monitor!

LD92599
09-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Love Love Love :-)

You can't go wrong. Do a search - there's a recent post about iMacs/MacBook/Macs in general

Save yourself a lot of $$ and buy a refurn direct from Apple (store.apple.com) - look on the lower right corner for "save" or something....and link to it. Also be sure to go through ebates too.

They don't have the "newest" iMacs right now though, it's usually about 90 days before the newest stuff appears. You can't go wrong w/ a refurb - PM me for more info/insight if you'd like. Oh and the refurn inventory changes DAILY. Check back often to get a feel for what they have.

Laura
Mom to Will

http://b4.lilypie.com/BhyBm5.png

sidmand
09-04-2007, 03:58 PM
I just got one unexpectedly literally on week ago today! My main computer (I work from home) decided to shut down and not turn back on. I hadn't even considered an iMac because in my head, it was that little thing that looked kind of like the Pixar lamp and wasn't powerful enough for what I needed (I do graphic design for books). I honestly hadn't even seen the ads for the new iMacs and/or ignored them.

But so far so good. It looks amazing, it was pretty painless. It was way cheaper than I would've spent (because I would've assumed I needed a desktop CPU). Heck, the IT person who bought it for me at the Apple Store even got me a free iPod (not that I'm ever going to use it) and a free printer (again, not that I'm going to use it, but heck, it was free).

You can't get the brand-new ones refurbished, but I'm used to Macs costing around $2500 and this was $1200!

Debbie
http://b3.lilypie.com/WT7Im4/.png[/img] (][img)

Jenn98
09-04-2007, 05:05 PM
We only use Macs at home. I'm forced to use a PC at work and I'm *this close* to buying my own Apple so I don't have to use it!! Love em!

ps - nice to "see" you here! How goes it?

lkarp
09-04-2007, 09:18 PM
We got our first iMac this year and we love it. Much more user friendly than the Linux PC dh had me use (although I didn't mind it!) and I found it really easy to get used to. I like the photo, video, and, of course iTunes. I would definitely recommend!

linsei
09-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Love!

I like it because it's easy to figure out how to do stuff. It just makes sense :)

And it's sooooo stinkin' cute. That's all.

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

And a new little Valentine to debut in February!

LD92599
09-04-2007, 10:07 PM
and let's not forget the genius bar :-) You can take your computer to them and have them show you stuff (OK so it's easier w/ a laptop but the premise is the same) and get minor repairs on the spot.

Laura
Mom to Will

http://b4.lilypie.com/BhyBm5.png

TonFirst
09-04-2007, 10:50 PM
I replaced my Dell desktop with a MacBook Pro in January, and my god, I will never go back.

People ask what the big deal is with Macs, what the difference is, and all I can think to say is that my Mac WORKS. Like, I turn it on and it does what I want it to do, I plug in my camera and it knows what to do with the photos. There aren't zillions of cryptic prompts and error messages and blue screens of death,. It just works.

KBecks
09-05-2007, 07:34 AM
I got a refurb MacBook pro last week and it is very nice. If I had wanted a desktop I would have gone for the imac, but I really wanted to be mobile to get around the house.

If you have an Apple store nearby, you can make a personal shopping appt and they will show you everything and answer all your questions.

If you buy a refurb, DON'T FORGET (like I did) that you can get $100 off a printer if you buy it at the same time. They have a $99 printer you can get free, and others you can get cheap. This is with any computer purchase and you should ask about it at the store or make sure you put one in your cart and check it out if you are ordering online. I think you have to use a code but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

I'm still learning but I like the mac very much and the transition has been good. I like the photo software and I'm thinking of doing more with home videos, etc. -- when I find the time!

Oh and the Mac commercials on the apple site are very entertaining. Have fun.
Applecare (the extended warranty) has been recommended to me by a lot of people. I'm planning to buy off Ebay and save by going that route.

ETA: You can also use Ebates at the Apple online store for some cash back.

TonFirst
09-05-2007, 08:15 AM
"Applecare (the extended warranty) has been recommended to me by a lot of people. I'm planning to buy off Ebay and save by going that route."

TOTALLY. I bought AppleCare for my MacBook Pro on eBay, saved almost $200, and had no problems registering it or exchanging a frayed power cord last week at the Apple Store. I have no idea where these sellers get their AppleCare, and frankly, I don't want to know, but I saved a bundle.

(I didn't buy AppleCare for my 4th gen (3 years old) iPod, and I deeply regret that decision, as my iPod is a POS that requires an occasional whack against the granite countertop to get it going.)

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks Laura, I will check this out.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
09-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi Jenn! It goes, it goes....
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06