PDA

View Full Version : Would you host a Halloween party in this situation (updated)

wencit
09-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks so much for all your replies! Instead of doing the Halloween party, I've decided to have the moms (and families) join me in a breast cancer walk next month. My mom's club co-representative is currently battling breast cancer and given that October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I thought it would be nice to walk in support of her and all women who are fighting this disease. Our local mother's club organization will be holding a Halloween party at a local pumpkin patch, so the kids can get their Halloween fun that way.

Again, thanks so much for your advice!

=========================================

I'm a representative for my local mother's club and responsible for organizing monthly events for the kids. For October, I was thinking of holding a Halloween party at my home (I was inspired by the recent Halloween party idea thread!). However, my house is kind of small (1845 sq ft, upstairs AND downstairs), and we don't have a lot of furniture. I'm not sure how many people would come (maybe 10-15 kids, plus their moms?), but I doubt I'd have enough tables & chairs for everyone to sit. That would make it difficult to do crafts. I could rent, but it would be a logistical headache. We don't have a huge amount of toys, either, so I'm a bit intimidated at the thought of entertaining little kids without toys. ;)

Part of me says to scrap the idea because it's too complicated. But another part of me says to just go ahead and do it. What do you think?

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2007, 06:17 PM
That's how big my house is. :) We have been able to host all the good stuff here. When we first moved in we had no furniture except a papasan chair in the living room and 2 crappy couches and a glider in the family room. Dining room table was small with 2 real chairs. I did have some folding chairs. Honestly, the lack of seating never seemed to be an issue at playdates or parties because most people were busy playing/ chasing after ;) their kids.

I bet you could ask around for some more folding tables and chairs if you need them for craft or activity stations. I am sure there are plenty of moms in your group that could help out there. Most kids stand to do activities anyway from what I have noticed.

I wouldn't be daunted by lack of seating. And I doubt your house is as small as you think it is. :) Have the party and have fun!! Decorate up a storm, do fun stuff and I bet no one will notice anything except for what a great party it is. :)

Beth

sidmand
09-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Do you have anywhere else you could hold it? Like the location for the monthly meetings? We have our monthly meetings at a local church and you can also rent out the room (and we've done that) to host gatherings that are too big for someone's house and/or the holiday parties. We had our Halloween and Holiday party there. I know we also had a scrapbooking meeting there. Sometimes they charge a nominal fee for us to use it and sometimes they don't. They also have lots of tables and chairs there so we don't have to rent any. I don't know if you might have access to anything like that? Or maybe a friend who wouldn't mind sharing hosting duties if all she has to provide is a house and craft area and you provide the rest?

I know I had a Valentine's Day party and craft at my house and my house is a decent size, but almost every Mom who came had two kids and it added up really quickly! I didn't cut it off (I could have, but didn't) and I think we had 30 people total between Moms and kids. It was a bit hectic. I brought out all the little tables I had (like side tables) and all the little chairs I had...it was totally doable though, but a bit crazy. I also have a DS that doesn't so much like big crowds, so it was a bit tricky to be hostess and keep an eye on him.

Debbie
http://b3.lilypie.com/WT7Im4/.png[/img] (][img)

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev110pr___.png[/img] (][img)

lizajane
09-05-2007, 06:44 PM
my house is similar, with small rooms. having tons of kids here just isn't an option. schuyler's first and second birthday parties were here and they were overwhelming! so his third was somewhere else. i would love to have a halloween party and christmas party for their friends, but the thought of crowding them all in, having them running around, trying to keep them in the "right" places is very scary to me. and if you knew me, you would be shocked to hear me say this. i used to entertain ALL THE TIME. and now i NEVER do. sigh.

i would scrap it or have it somewhere else, outside, or limited to ONLY 10 kids, no siblings and moms. sorry to be a naysayer. i hate to be like that.

UNLESS you have a big ol' room where everyone can gather. i just don't have a big room.

juliasmom05
09-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Debbie,

Just noticed your siggie. CONGRATULATIONS :).

Marci

wencit
09-05-2007, 06:53 PM
>Do you have anywhere else you could hold it? Like the
>location for the monthly meetings?

The monthly meetings are held at the local elementary school, so that is out. I've been trying to think of alternative locations, but aside from a park, there doesn't seem to be too many options. :(

kristenk
09-05-2007, 07:47 PM
How well-attended are your events normally? I don't think that lack of seating for everyone at once is a problem. I know that I'm happy to sit on the floor - especially when DD was little. As far as crafts go, it might be easier to do it in batches anyway. When some kiddos get tired of playing, they can come over and do the craft and then go back to play while a new group comes in. We did something like that at our MOMS Club for a Father's Day craft and it worked really well. I have no idea how many moms & kids where at the event, but there was really only space for 3 mom/kid(s) sets at a time at the table. Not a problem at all.

As far as entertaining kids without toys, bring out the tupperware! :)

Go for it!

MelissaTC
09-05-2007, 07:55 PM
What about having the monthly meeting the Halloween party? We did that last year and it was such a hit that we are doing it again this year. All the kids (and some of the Moms too) came in costume. We had a couple of planned activities and a craft.

spunkybaby
09-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Are there any public meeting spaces available in your town? Like at the library?

Mom to a spunky preschooler (3/04) and a new spunky Christmas baby (12/06)

ellies mom
09-05-2007, 10:41 PM
How about going to a pumpkin patch? There are several in our area that offer group activities. For example, the one our indoor playpark went to has a petting area, a small maze and then they take the group on a hay ride to the actual pumpkin area, the kids pick out a pumpkin and then ride back. It is a lot of fun.