PDA

View Full Version : Coupon Ethics

kep
09-05-2007, 08:36 PM
This is kind of an odd post, but I need some objective outside input.

We're on a super-tight budget, and I'm always looking to find coupons, espcially for things like diapers and wipes. I often come across coupons for things like Pampers Cruisers that say something like, buy one large box of Cruisers AND one package of Pampers baby wipes and save $4. Now, I hate Pampers wipes so I never buy them. However, I have still presented the coupon during checkout and gotten the discount. (We normally shop at a really nice Target.)

The computer will pop up with a message saying that the required item not found (or something like that), and the salesperson always just overrides that and processes the coupon. I've found that this Target will do the same thing with other coupons as well. As long as it's the same brand, they really don't seem to care if what I'm buying is exactly what's pictured on the coupon.

Now, I am normally super-ethical. I'm the one who walks back into the store to return the extra $1 in change I was given by mistake. But for some reason this seems to fall into a gray area in my mind. I mean, that extra $4 I saved is the only thing that allowed me to get the toliet paper we were out of that month. Meh.

So, is this actually stealing from the store? Does it matter if *they* deceide to accept the coupon that I just happened to offer?

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

MamaMolly
09-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Whew! I really had to chew on this one a while. Here is what I came up with, I hope it helps:

I don't think that this is you stealing from the store. The store gets the money back from Pampers. If there is 'stealing' going on, you could say that by doing the override Target is stealing from Pampers. They get the money back, plus they get to sell the wipes at the full regular price to someone else. No wonder that your nice Target makes a habit of doing this!

Am I just changing players around on you and the ethical dilemma is still there? Maybe. But I think that in the big picture, you aren't the bad guy here. It sounds to me like you are the sort of person that doesn't like the idea of 'profiting' from someone else's dishonesty, which is where this gets sticky. But to answer the question you asked, no, I don't think that you are stealing from the store.

Best wishes on a tough call,
Molly

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
I am thinking that if they accept your coupon then they must not mind. They knowingly override it so it must be something they are trained to handle. Must be corporate policy?

Beth

Momof3Labs
09-05-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't think that this is right. You're not following the terms of the coupons, but still getting the discount. Just because you aren't "caught" by the minimum wage cashier doesn't mean that it is okay. Misuing coupons defeats the spirit in which they were issued, which eventually filters back to all of us who also enjoy coupon discounts.

That said, you don't always have to buy exactly what is in the picture, but you should buy what is described on the coupon (e.g. "$1 off any Pampers product" and they picture Pampers diapers means that you could buy Pampers wipes and use the coupon but not Huggies wipes).

If you want to read more about "coupon ethics" head over to this site: http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/ - you'll also find forums that will help you maximize your coupon benefits within the "rules" of the system.

More specifically, here's that board's take on coupon ethics:

http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/user-agreement-terms-conditions/109-coupon-fraud-what-how-does-apply-me-here-hcw.html

AbbysMom
09-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I had a similar thought about that issue myself today. There is a CVS coupon for $4.00 off $20.00 that's been posted here a couple times. I printed it but when I read it, it looks like it's what you get when you sign up for a CVS card. I've had a CVS card for years. I used it a month ago and didn't think much about it. But today I needed formula in a rush, CVS is within walking distance to my house, formula is SO expensive, and $4.00 off $20.00 is a lot to turn down! I took it to the cashier and explained that I get it from a website etc so they might not want to take it but they did. So I guess I figure that if the store decides to accept a coupon, they must be glad to get your business. It's their choice to accept it, especially where they know that they are overriding or that the coupon may not apply. So it can't be stealing, right?

Momof3Labs
09-05-2007, 09:37 PM
It's most definitely not Target's corporate policy to accept coupons for anything other than what the coupon describes. More likely the minimum wage cashier isn't paying attention or doesn't feel like confronting the customer and takes the easy way out by pushing the coupon through.

bostonsmama
09-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Wow...I want to shop at the stores you shop at! In general, I try extra hard to make sure I have the right amount of products and adhere to the terms of the coupons, but at the grocery store in which I shop, there are no overrides to be had! I've been super upset when a cashier goes through every one of the 29 different coupons I've used with a fine tooth comb, checking off each coupon to each UPC that scanned (more b/c it's a waste of time for me). I've only had a few cashiers ring one through anyways if it popped up that it wasn't in the system. Sometimes my "give a sh*t" meter is really low when the store doesn't even carry this expressly new line of some obscur product (like: Nature's Own 100% whole grain BLENDED white wheat PLUS OMEGA-3s!)...I just get as close as possible within the brand specified and cross my damned fingers for a non-picky cashier.

At higher end stores (or ones that cater to more wealthy clientele), I've found that stores often DO have a policy to keep the customer happy, even if there are disputes. For instance, at Kroger and Farm Fresh (local grocery chains), if a product doesn't ring up as on the shelf, the item is free--I've had this happen a few times. Also, while at a Walgreens, I spent 10min in line with a flyer that said certain Revolon cosmetics were buy one get one free, plus I had a coupon off any Revlon product, so when the second item wouldn't ring free, we called over managers...the whole nine yards. It was quite frustrating. What we didn't figure out until later is that the tube concealer wasn't technically considered an "eye cosmetic" part of the promotion, which is why it wasn't ringing up free, but we had already wasted so much time and held up the line that the manager overrode the system and gave it to me anyways after we had already figured this out. So, while this is not the same as coupon "fraud" per se, I do think in my mind that it all works out in the wash. Someone that day did probably buy those wipes (without a coupon), and so I don't see these stores losing any profit...nor the big companies...but you have to look deep inside and figure out if it's a big enough thing where you'll eventually reap what you sow.

psophia17
09-06-2007, 02:02 AM
When I worked as a cashier, this was part of our training.

If a coupon doesn't scan in, we were to ask the customer if they bought the item on it, and if the customer said yes, we were to manually plug in the stated discount.

You could always ask at the CS desk...

psophia17
09-06-2007, 02:02 AM
When I worked as a cashier, this was part of our training.

If a coupon doesn't scan in, we were to ask the customer if they bought the item on it, and if the customer said yes, we were to manually plug in the stated discount.

You could always ask at the CS desk...

missym
09-06-2007, 07:20 AM
I'd just be retyping Lori's post practically verbatim, so I'll just say Ditto! I'm not trying to be harsh, but what you're doing falls under my definition of coupon fraud. The second link in Lori's post is an excellent guide to using coupons.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

http://bf.lilypie.com/r2Qhm4.png

missym
09-06-2007, 07:20 AM
I'd just be retyping Lori's post practically verbatim, so I'll just say Ditto! I'm not trying to be harsh, but what you're doing falls under my definition of coupon fraud. The second link in Lori's post is an excellent guide to using coupons.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

http://bf.lilypie.com/r2Qhm4.png

SnuggleBuggles
09-06-2007, 08:34 AM
It just sounded like it happened on many occasions with plenty of cashiers. At least at my Target we have some very long term cashiers that seem like they care about their job. If it were one of them I would feel like they wouldn't do something they shouldn't be doing. To override something like that don't they need authorization?

I never gave my opinion on what I would do. Very gray to me and I don't think I would do it. But, that is my take on that issue.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
09-06-2007, 08:34 AM
It just sounded like it happened on many occasions with plenty of cashiers. At least at my Target we have some very long term cashiers that seem like they care about their job. If it were one of them I would feel like they wouldn't do something they shouldn't be doing. To override something like that don't they need authorization?

I never gave my opinion on what I would do. Very gray to me and I don't think I would do it. But, that is my take on that issue.

Beth

TracyBee
09-06-2007, 09:27 AM
A wrong action is a wrong action - whether you get caught or not. You are knowingly presenting a coupon for a discount which you admittedly know you are not entitled to. Just because the clerk does not catch it, doesn't mean its okay. The clerk is relying on your honesty, which is probably why they just override it without hesitation.

TracyBee
09-06-2007, 09:27 AM
A wrong action is a wrong action - whether you get caught or not. You are knowingly presenting a coupon for a discount which you admittedly know you are not entitled to. Just because the clerk does not catch it, doesn't mean its okay. The clerk is relying on your honesty, which is probably why they just override it without hesitation.