PDA

View Full Version : Spitting in preschoolers. Gah.

kep
09-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Time-outs aren't working so well. The perpetrator is 4 years old. Really, how do you deal with a child that spits all the time? Unfortunately, he's gotten in the habit of spitting because he likes to listen to the sound and watch the spray. It drives me crazy. I need some concrete solutions/ideas, please. Thanks!

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

gatorruth
09-05-2007, 11:03 PM
I have done this and it works... (not necessarily about spitting, but it works in other areas).

Encourage DS to spit. Cheer him on and then watch as the behavior slows down and stops. It isn't as much fun when he's being encouraged to do it! (that's called reverse psychology!!)

Good luck!

SASM
09-05-2007, 11:10 PM
No advice...just a "thank you" for the thread! My 2.5yo DD is currently doing this, thanks to a cousin, and it is extremely annoying. DS NEVER did this and now he is starting to copy little sis! UGH!! I hope that you get lots of replies.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-06-2007, 01:22 AM
I would say that the child can spit as much as they want.... in the bathroom. If you say that he has to stop the activity he is doing and go to the bathroom and spit and come out when he is done it might lose its appeal.

I do the same thing when kids say "bathroom words". The boys I babysat this summer loved to say these words at the table. I would give them the choice of stopping or going to the bathroom and saying these words, and over the few weeks they got much better and virtually stopped. I think this was partially because I was very consistant, I despise hearing children talk about their bathroom habits at the table, so I was on top of this issue.

I hope Luke stops spitting soon!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/070720/7cWO.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/5BTxm7/.png[/img][/url]

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-06-2007, 01:22 AM
I would say that the child can spit as much as they want.... in the bathroom. If you say that he has to stop the activity he is doing and go to the bathroom and spit and come out when he is done it might lose its appeal.

I do the same thing when kids say "bathroom words". The boys I babysat this summer loved to say these words at the table. I would give them the choice of stopping or going to the bathroom and saying these words, and over the few weeks they got much better and virtually stopped. I think this was partially because I was very consistant, I despise hearing children talk about their bathroom habits at the table, so I was on top of this issue.

I hope Luke stops spitting soon!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/070720/7cWO.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/5BTxm7/.png[/img][/url]

Melanie
09-06-2007, 01:39 AM
>I would say that the child can spit as much as they want....
>in the bathroom. If you say that he has to stop the activity
>he is doing and go to the bathroom and spit and come out when
>he is done it might lose its appeal.
>
>I do the same thing when kids say "bathroom words". The boys I
>babysat this summer loved to say these words at the table. I
>would give them the choice of stopping or going to the
>bathroom and saying these words, and over the few weeks they
>got much better and virtually stopped. I think this was
>partially because I was very consistant, I despise hearing
>children talk about their bathroom habits at the table, so I
>was on top of this issue.
>

Ditto. I've not had that problem with Ds, but that's how I have seen it handled at school and it is what I would do. Though they literally 'spit their bathroom words into the toilet and flush them down.' The time I heard a child in there literally SPITTING his bathroom words into the toilet I about dissolved into giggles.

Melanie
09-06-2007, 01:39 AM
>I would say that the child can spit as much as they want....
>in the bathroom. If you say that he has to stop the activity
>he is doing and go to the bathroom and spit and come out when
>he is done it might lose its appeal.
>
>I do the same thing when kids say "bathroom words". The boys I
>babysat this summer loved to say these words at the table. I
>would give them the choice of stopping or going to the
>bathroom and saying these words, and over the few weeks they
>got much better and virtually stopped. I think this was
>partially because I was very consistant, I despise hearing
>children talk about their bathroom habits at the table, so I
>was on top of this issue.
>

Ditto. I've not had that problem with Ds, but that's how I have seen it handled at school and it is what I would do. Though they literally 'spit their bathroom words into the toilet and flush them down.' The time I heard a child in there literally SPITTING his bathroom words into the toilet I about dissolved into giggles.

kdeunc
09-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Kelli,
Unfortunately no solutions but I wanted to tell you that between this post and the anger one I am convinced that you are living my life!! I swear somedays I am not sure I will make it through the 4 year old stage. Good luck with the spitting. I will be watching this thread for suggestions. :)

kdeunc
09-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Kelli,
Unfortunately no solutions but I wanted to tell you that between this post and the anger one I am convinced that you are living my life!! I swear somedays I am not sure I will make it through the 4 year old stage. Good luck with the spitting. I will be watching this thread for suggestions. :)

brittone2
09-06-2007, 01:00 PM
DS occasionally decides it is fun to do this drooly spitty thing he does. Gross. He doesn't do it often, but we just redirect it to the bathroom or outside. That way he can get it out of his system, but it isn't making a mess, and that usually works. I think that was a gentlechristianmothers.com suggestion...

brittone2
09-06-2007, 01:00 PM
DS occasionally decides it is fun to do this drooly spitty thing he does. Gross. He doesn't do it often, but we just redirect it to the bathroom or outside. That way he can get it out of his system, but it isn't making a mess, and that usually works. I think that was a gentlechristianmothers.com suggestion...

lhk777
09-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Funny that you posted this.

My DD is in preschool (4 years old) and during the first week of school a girl spit on my DD twice. It kind of shocked me and made me upset that someone would spit on my DD.

I guess I never knew how common spitting was prior to this since my DD never ever spit. I took it personally and was even thinking about calling up the mom to tell her that her DD was spitting on my DD. My DH thought I was crazy. So I didn't call.

I guess it's more of a habit and not personally to my DD since the girl is spitting on everyone.

Good to know it's a pretty common thing.

I think she found 'excitement' in being able to spit without the teacher knowing. It seems the girl has toned it down since the teacher calls her out on it and it isn't as adventurous anymore.

I probably didn't answer your question, but just wanted to post that I'm glad it's more common than I had thought.

Good luck.