PDA

View Full Version : too many juice boxes or just a stocky kid? are you at diff. %iles?

lizajane
09-06-2007, 04:33 PM
so my "big one" has always been really tall and thin. only recently did his weight get up to 5% below his height. my "little one" has always been perfectly proprotioned. born tall and heavy, slowed suddently at 6m and got down to 50th percentile and has been riding at 25th percentile since january. so i just weighed him and measured his height for the first time since then. at 2.5 years (31 months)he is 30lbs (in clothes and holding a peach, with a toy in his pocket.. but close enough.) and he is 35 1/4" tall- standing. so i checked his percentiles. barely 25th for height... and 50th for weight! is this just a toddler thing or am i feeding him too much sugar?

forgive me for being a weirdo. i just haven't ever had a "normal" kid... i am used to skinny kid. he doesn't LOOK chunky- just has a little extra cheek to spare, but was born that way. and the normal tummy for this age.

reassure me and stop me from being a goober about this!!!!!!!!

npace19147
09-06-2007, 04:40 PM
My oldest has always been short and round, number two is shaping up to be more on the long and lean side. Our peds told us that kids come in two varieties, string bean and lima bean. Sounds like you got one of each!

Totally normal, IMO. (of course, my oldest gets sugar too, so my opinion might be a little skewed!)

dotgirl
09-06-2007, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't worry - I don't personally put a lot of stock in the "percentile" thing. My DS is 50% for height and 70% for weight, but I can't buy him regular pants or the waist is too big - so how is that even possible?

Anyway, if you're worried about what he eats, it's a good idea to examine it occasionally, but don't let some chart upset you.

mamicka
09-06-2007, 05:13 PM
NAK.

Sounds totally normal to me. My perfect (really, he's not a string-bean, but very normal-looking) size 4 yr-old has always been at least 75% for weight & %25-%50 for height. The ped isn't at all concerned. I think some kids are more "dense" than others, physically speaking :). We do sweets but definitely in moderation.

I don't think this is anything to worry about.

Allison
DS1 2003
DS2 2005
DS3 2007

sweetpea
09-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Your little one is the exact same age as mine, almost to the day. She about 34.5" tall (she won't stand still so I can't get an exact measure) and weighs about 28lbs. Because she has a peanut allergy we feed her very few processed foods or junk food, and juice is a treat. She becomes too hyper from sugar so I avoid it as best I can and so far the only real candy she's had is bubble gum (the poor thing thinks that freeze dried mango is candy).

She's followed pretty much the same curve since birth - 5th for height and 75th for weight. It sounds weird but she looks perfectly proportioned so I'm not concerned about it in any way.

Marisa6826
09-07-2007, 12:43 AM
He sounds like he's right on par with Mia. A few weeks ago she was about 34" and 32ish lbs. with clothes and shoes on. She's definitely got the toddler belly going, but she's not fat by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, her belly looks different depending on how recently she's eaten. No matter what, it's the BEST place to plant kisses, though! :P

-m

maestramommy
09-07-2007, 03:22 PM
If you think you are feeding him too many juice boxes as a matter of practice, then go ahead and cut down. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. I still have a hard time figuring out how Dora can be 40th percentile for height and 10th percentile for weight when she looks so pudgy! Yesterday she was wearing a 9 months outfit from Carters, and it still fits her shoulders! I'm finally accepting that she must have a very small frame. Gets it from her dad's side.

My friend's DS has ALWAYS been higher on the weight than height. You'd never know it to look at him though. Except for his big head, he's actually leaner than Dora (same age). These percentiles are just numbers, y'know?

KBecks
09-07-2007, 03:31 PM
He sounds fine to me.

lizajane
09-07-2007, 06:06 PM
no, not too many. really just a figure of speech. if we have them in the house, he gets one per day or fewer (constipation issue). if i just haven't bought them in a while, he gets none for a week or so. it is extremely rare that he gets two in a day. he is definitely my sugar loving child- his favorite food is CAKE which he screams whenever it is near. but it isn't like we have cake lying around every day! just birthday parties once/month. we are really a whole wheat bread, yogurt, HFCS free cereal bar, cheese stick kinda family...