PDA

View Full Version : What sports does your preschooler participates in?

kozachka
09-07-2007, 12:34 PM
I am thinking of signing DS up for some sports. His PE teacher at preschool suggested we sign him up for something to make sure we don't miss the window of opportunity. Apparently, DS is one of the two best 'students' in the group. She commented on his good balance and sense of space. I also think he needs it, especially once it gets cold here, and he won't be able to burn as much energy (which he has a ton of) in the park. We are thinking of swimming, gymnastics and figure skating. DS and I went to the skate rink last week-end and saw 9-year old hockey players. DS wanted to get on the ice and seemed to be interested in skating. We are going to meet 3-4 year old figure skating coaches and little skaters this Sunday. I hope DS likes it. DH also takes DS to tennis courts to let him see other people play and rn around. Our friend who is tennis pro and coached kids gives him various 'excises' to do. Last time DS ran 19 times around the tennis court. Dude got strong legs :).

Has anybody else's kids done figure skating? Do you have any advice for us to make it an enjoyable experience. What other sport would be good for an almost 4 year old to burn some energy and keep him busy.

Tondi G
09-07-2007, 12:55 PM
We love Tae Kwon Do! I can't say enough good things about Martial Arts. Not only is it a full body exercise they also encorporate respect/focus/discipline etc into the program! I do know that not all schools are created equally though. We happened to find a FANTASTIC one. The level of instruction is so high and the instructors are just wonderful with the children. Our do jang starts children at age 3 (once they are potty trained and can follow basic instruction). My DH was so impressed with the school he joined too!

Good Luck!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Our JCC has a sports' sampler class for preschoolers. I would bet that other community centers have something like that too. It was just neat to get him exposed to all the sports and find out what he was most interested in.

My only hesitation w/ figure skating would be if he got the idea to play ice hockey. That is one of the few things on my personal "no way" list. Too expensive, ice times are usually too early...I'm sure it is fun though. :)

I think any of them would be fun though!

Beth

gatorsmom
09-07-2007, 01:31 PM
We have DS1 signed up for swimming for this fall and plan on gymnastics. Begginning of the new year, I'd like to sign him up for a martial arts class too. I think that would be great for the whole family (I really want to do it too!). Hockey is HUGE around here so DH wants to get him signed up for skating at some point and talks about it every winter. We've taken him out on the frozen lake near our house to skate and he LOVED it.

There are so many activities and possibilities but the costs add up so quickly, kwim?

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

tny915
09-07-2007, 02:35 PM
For 3-4 year olds, soccer's big around here, as is gymnastics and swimming. I've also seen basketball classes for around 4.

cchavez
09-07-2007, 02:54 PM
DS is in gymnastics and has 2 other little friend (4 y.o's too) that are in gymnastics. I think we may try karate next but he LOVEs gymnastics to much to change now.