PDA

View Full Version : Do you celebrate Grandparents Day?

tny915
09-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Apparently it's Sunday and I just found out. I vaguely remember seeing an advertisement from a retailer last year, but really I don't see this day mentioned much. Has Grandparents Day always existed or is this relatively new? Are you doing anything special for it?

LarsMal
09-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Just another Hallmark Holiday, but I think it's been around for a while. I remember doing things for grandparents when I taught preschool and elem. school. Not sure if it was an official day then, or if it was just something we did,

We don't usually do anything for it, but we'll be with both the grandparents AND great grandparents this weekend so we might make a card or something. Maybe!

maestramommy
09-07-2007, 04:20 PM
The school where I worked had a Grandparents Day, but I thought it was just part of their calendar. Grandparents would come, the kids would perform, then they would visit classes, and have lunch with their grandkids. It was a great event, lasted a half day.

psophia17
09-08-2007, 12:32 AM
We're taking them bowling, but it's a total coincidence.

kep
09-08-2007, 06:55 AM
>Just another Hallmark Holiday, but I think it's been around
>for a while.

Yep, I totally agree. It's one that I pretty much ignore on the calander. If I acknowledged every birthday, religous holiday, secular holiday, and all the days like this, every day would be a 'special' day.

Now, as for National Talk Like a Pirate Day... ;)

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

elizabethkott
09-08-2007, 09:37 AM
>
>Now, as for National Talk Like a Pirate Day... ;)
>
Q: What's a pirate's favorite type of movie?

A: One that's rated "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR".

Q: How do pirates get to their ships?

A: In caRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRs.

Q: Where do pirates meet their wives?

A: At the local baRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Sorry. Just had to follow the Pirate theme... :)

Happy 2B mommy
09-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Grandma gets a card, but she is a total Hallmark Holiday type.

twindad
09-09-2007, 11:07 AM
We send a recent snapshot of the girls in an inexpensive frame with a card for Grandparents' Day.

Jenny_A
09-09-2007, 12:48 PM
I like any holiday that offers an excuse to tell someone how much you love & appreciate them!

I got a card (at Hallmark :-)) and let DD "decorate" (scribble) it. I bought a $5.00 gift card to Brewsters Ice Cream and stuck it inside. I had DD hand it to them this morning at church. They LOVED it!! It made their day.

Jenny

jodi_b
09-09-2007, 01:26 PM
When I was growing up I always made something for my grandparents for Grandparents Day. (So, yes, apparently it has been around awhile! ;))

Last year I think I just gave the grandparents a card, but this year my 18 month old DD painted papermache picture frames using sponge tipped brushes. We put a cute picture of the artist in action inside. It was done with a lot of love and all of the skill of an 18 month old. I'm sure the grandparents will proudly display it just the same.

Jodi