PDA

View Full Version : favorite magazine subscriptions...........

Kyras mom
09-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Hello all,

What are your favorite magazines. I currently get Parents and Parenting but I will let them run out and not renew. We just subscribed to Hightlights High Five for DD. Any other good ones for kids (preschoolers)? Anyone seen "Turtle" or "Disney & Me" for ages 2-6? What is your opinion on "Family Fun"? Also, what about "Child". Any other good ones, or ones to avoid?

Thanks for any tips!

kcandz
09-09-2007, 01:40 AM
Child is no more. Have you looked at Wondertime or Cookie? I avoid Parents and Parenting already.

For preschoolers, there is Chirp or Crickets. We chose not to go with the National Geographic for preschoolers (I forget the exact name) because there was too much advertising.

katydid1971
09-09-2007, 01:53 AM
Child is gone but you didn't miss much unless you needed help plannng a vacation to the swiss alps with your toddler. Cookie is much the same way, it has excellent suggestions for buying $250 boots for your infant (you wouldn't want them to be the worst dressed baby at playgroup.) I have read family fun at the doctors and it looks like a good one to me. Just to give you a heads up, I like parents and parenting. Ladybug by cricket is good and ranger rick has one for preschoolers too, do a google search and you'll find many others out there too. What kinds of things interest DD, that might be the best way to choose a magazine for her.
HTHs,
Sarah

dhano923
09-09-2007, 03:35 AM
I subscribe to Parents, Parenting, Wondertime and Working Mother. For DS, I get Preschool Playroom. It's a workbook/storybook/activity book all in one featuring his favorite characters like Caillou, the Wiggles, Doodlebops, etc.

BeachBum
09-09-2007, 06:26 AM
I do Parenting, Cookie, Wondertime, and Mothering. Somehow I let Brain,Child lapse but will do it again.

While I grant you that Cookie certainly targets an affluent demographic I still think it is fun to read. It is much, much less about parenting and more about shopping.

SnuggleBuggles
09-09-2007, 08:13 AM
I like "Family Fun." I don't really like parenting magazines that much but I like this one. It is more about cool activities and fun things you can do with your child.

If your dc likes animals then "YOur Big Backyard" is a good magazine.

The only parenting magazine I have read and really liked is "Kiwi."

Beth

Leeannpk
09-09-2007, 08:51 AM
I LOVE Brain, Child. Highly recommended.

Leeann

TraciG
09-09-2007, 10:56 AM
PLAYGIRL, couldn't resist saying that :)

SASM
09-09-2007, 02:52 PM
If you are considering "Family Fun", I just wanted to mention that there are some good deals on EBay for subscriptions. I haven't gotten around to actually subscribing yet but the one that I was looking at was something like 3 years for $6 with "no shipping" as a BIN. It seems like the offers change quite frequently so there might even be a better one out there. Good luck.

HTH.

TonFirst
09-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Definitely BRAIN, CHILD. I just subscribed to WONDER TIME, and so far, I like it. It has the same look as REAL SIMPLE, but, you know, for the kids.

As for magazines for my child, he can spend hours looking at what he calls "baby magamazines" - they're what the rest of us know as "catalogs." He loves Hearthsong and Back to Basics, but the grand master of his baby magamazones has got to be the big-ass Lakeshore Learning catalog. He absolutely loves looking at all the pictured of kids doing fun things, and thankfully, he has yet to figure out that those things are toys that Mama can order.

tny915
09-10-2007, 12:52 PM
I have to second eBay. Last year I was able to get a combo deal of Family Fun and Nick Jr, 3 years of each for maybe $10 or less.

kristenk
09-10-2007, 01:34 PM
My only subscriptions are for Family Fun and Wonder Time. They're very different magazines, but I really enjoy both of them. I stockpile Family Funs b/c they have such great craft/game ideas that will work for DD when she'd older.

Corie
09-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Here is my current magazine subscription list.

Martha Stewart Living
MS Everyday Food (free)
Parents
Parenting
Cookie
Wondertime
FamilyFun
InStyle (my absolute favorite!)
Real Simple (my #2 choice)
Every Day with Rachael Ray
Rhode Island Monthly
Boston
Yankee
TV Guide

I'm sure there are a few magazines that I'm forgetting. You can buy magazine
subscriptions for super cheap on Ebay.

maestramommy
09-11-2007, 10:36 AM
We get Parents and Mothering. I like the different perspective. I also like the recipes :P. We also get Atlantic Monthly, which really helps me stay connected with the world outside of parenting.