PDA

View Full Version : Would/do you dress your ds in dd handmedowns?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
09-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I have a lot of clothes from dd that we're going through whenever ds grows into a bigger size. This time in the 2T I discovered that unless I'm really willing to put him in jeans with embroidery on the back pockets that I'm just down to pj's. Dh seems to be more comfortable with the idea of ds wearing more feminine clothing than I truely am. I was just wondering what all you other mommies thought.

SnuggleBuggles
09-09-2007, 10:53 AM
If it were super feminine I probably wouldn't do it. I don't have any problems with pink or purple though. :) I'd have more of a problem with shirts with frilly sleeves or some detail that couldn't work for a boy. That would probably include really noticeable flowered embroidery on the pockets (unless they wore a shirt that covered it :)).

Beth

ellies mom
09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
For a while boy's jeans fit DD better than girls jeans so that stuff would definitely get handed down along with any unisex type things. Some of her sweaters or t-shirts come to mind. But if it is blatantly "girly" (ie. embroidery on the back pocket or flared legs), then I wouldn't.

jd11365
09-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Before Taylor was born, I got rid of Kayla's girly clothes and saved some of the gender neutral ones for him. Well now that he's here, I can't even use those on him. He's such a BOY, and seeing him in anything Kayla wore, even if gn, just doesn't look right to me. I can't even do it with PJs. That's just my thing though. I wouldn't judge anyone who was more comfortable with it.

miki
09-09-2007, 12:16 PM
If it's just embroidery on pockets, you can get boyish patches like baseballs and such at a place like JoAnn Fabrics or Michaels and cover the girly stuff.

linsei
09-09-2007, 01:34 PM
This is tough to answer since I have a ds and #2 we don't know the gender yet. It's also tough because I think it's (unfortunately) more socially acceptable for a girl to wear boy clothes than the inverse scenario. That said, I would probably be ok with recycling pj's and neutral stuff, but I wouldn't put a boy in something girly (lace, frills, feminine stuff) and I don't think I would dress a girl in something obviously boyish, but if it could go either way, I might. Also note that I do dress ds in gingham, seersucker and other items that could be considered froo-froo. Clear as mud? :)

eta: I didn't know how to vote, b/c I think the style of the outfit is more a factor than the color (ie, ds can wear pink, purple and a girl can wear blue, imo)

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

And a new little Valentine to debut in February!

megs4413
09-09-2007, 01:56 PM
someone gave us some bigger size stuff as hand me downs for our son....he's still in newborn sizes, though..LOL! we have a whole winter set of 18mos.+. Want it? it gives me an excuse to see you!

lizajane
09-09-2007, 09:51 PM
i voted only if it isn't pink, 'cause red tee shirt, yes. pink dress, no. :)

but really... sell the "girl" stuff to buy him some "boy" stuff and use the neutral stuff again. like turtlenecks that do NOT have ruffles on the edges.

s7714
09-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Blatantly girly or pink, no. Anything else, probably. I actually buy a fair amount of boys stuff for my DDs anyway because you can't find too many firetrucks, frogs or cars in the girls dept.!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

maestramommy
09-09-2007, 11:24 PM
I voted for the last option, but really what I want to say is, not if it looks like girls clothing. It doesn't have to be pink to look like it's for girls, y'know?