PDA

View Full Version : Is this something you would do too or am I just really boring?- updated

SnuggleBuggles
10-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Sounds like it isn't just me. ;) I am trying to decide if I want to do this before the baby comes. I think dh feels bad that I want to go alone. He is welcome to come so long as he doesn't mind being ignored. I don't think he gets my need for solid alone time like this. Maybe it's a woman thing?

I should say I know at least a few friends IRL that feel this way so I know I am not totally lame (either that or I have the friends I do for a reason...;)).

Ok, say you had a night in a hotel by yourself. No work, no kids, not jet lagged...what would you do with your night? Me? I would order room service, take a long bath, read a good book and watch whatever I wanted. I would do this rather than go out on the town. And I would enjoy the heck out of it. :)

I went to a baby shower out of own once when ds was about 2.5yo. I had been invited to the host's home for dinner that night but all I could think about was heading back to my room for a night alone. (Now, I was dead tired that night so that could have factored in.)

How about you? If you had a night alone in a nice hotel would you head out or stay in? Both? What would you enjoy more? Assume that $ and transportation are not issues.

Beth

kristenk
10-13-2007, 07:55 PM
I would *definitely* stay in. I'd read a book in a loooong, hot bath. I'd watch whatever I wanted to watch on tv. I'm not sure what I'd do for dinner. I'm not a big fan of room service, so I'd probably go down to eat at a restaurant at the hotel or nearby. I might venture back down to the hotel lobby to pick up a blended coffee beverage if there was a coffee place downstairs. Sigh. It would be wonderful. :)

Wife_and_mommy
10-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Me too. My personality's the type who *needs* time alone. I would do exactly what you described and wouldn't feel the least bit bad about it.

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

http://b2.lilypie.com/pXphm4.png http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

jess
10-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. This is my dream. Now that my son is weaned, I am seriously thinking of asking for a night alone at a hotel as a birthday gift.

I would order dinner in...and probably enjoy reading a book in silence while I eat (I love to read while I eat...). After, I would take a slow walk around town before returning to the hotel for dessert and a mind-candy movie. Then sleep, sweet sleep until ten the next morning.

Yeah...this is definitely going on the birthday list.

kep
10-13-2007, 08:40 PM
>I would order room service, take a long bath, read a good
>book and watch whatever I wanted. I would do this rather than
>go out on the town. And I would enjoy the heck out of it. :)

Actually, Beth, this sounds like my dream night. Really. I mean, going out and all sounds fun, but what you described sounds like heaven.

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

ett
10-13-2007, 10:52 PM
I would do exactly what you would do. :)

MMEand1
10-13-2007, 11:04 PM
I went TDY in August for two weeks and was in a hotel less than 30 minutes from New York City. While everyone else was down in the city partying and having a good time, I was back at the hotel just relaxing and not worrying about anything! It was wonderful. I went out one night into town, but I was back before 10pm. Maybe I am just boring and/or getting old!

ENJOY your quiet time.
MP

s7714
10-13-2007, 11:06 PM
I'd be all over the room service and bath concept too. With the exception if the hotel had a spa I might see what kind of pampering I could have done (since you said money was no object)!

If there wasn't a spa then I'd pamper myself by doing the things I never have time to do at home...like being able to shave both legs and armpits during the same bath session without interruption, paint my nails, etc. Heck, I'd probably even get myself all dolled up just to sit and eat my room service with a bottle of wine. A lot can be said for finishing a meal while it's still hot, eating it while watching something YOU want to watch on TV, and only having to wipe your own face off. ;)

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

elephantmeg
10-13-2007, 11:14 PM
wow, I'm drooling. I'd absolutely stay in! At least one night. Now if I was in NYC and had unlimited money I would get phantom or les miz tickets and go out to one of those.

lizajane
10-13-2007, 11:16 PM
i actually did this. DH had a work trip and had to work at least 12 hours/day. i went along to be with ME, not with him. i went to see cirque de soleil one night by myself. i ate lunch at a restaurant by myself. i went to the pool alone. i went to downtown disney alone. i watched TV in the hotel room alone, with snacks, of course! and i laid around in bed until 1pm one morning!!! it was heaven!!!

bubbaray
10-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Spa services, baby. Spa services. Its all about the spa services. And room service. And maybe a workout in the morning.

This is my dream.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

scoop22
10-14-2007, 08:18 AM
i am actually a person who loves to have dh around but reading this it sounds wonderful. it makes me want to do it myself. dh always goes away. he has never been home with ds by himself for a night. i on the other hand can't count how many times i don't sleep at night b/c dh isn't here.. i think it is time i do this to.. thanks for the suggestion. (not that it was meant to be but thanks.) i hope you get a nice relaxing night!

http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/WtLfm4.png

vsrapture1992
10-14-2007, 08:33 AM
I would do it in a heartbeat.

elephantmeg
10-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Don't take DH! If he is anything like mine he will expect a romantic weekend away which is not what is sounds like you are wanting! Men don't go places to be ignored. I'd say do it! Motherhood is so intensely populated with needy little people that it is so great to have a break.

JustMe
10-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Staying in alone sound wonderful to me! I am definitely a person who needs unstructured alone time.

Robyn

gatorsmom
10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
I actually did something similar to this too, about 5 years ago (before kids so of course I didn't appreciate it as much as I would now). DH was in downtown Chicago on his annual business trip. He was busy days and most evenings. They put us up at the Sutton Place Hotel which is pretty nice by my standards. It was half a block away from this great restaurant (Carmine's I think was the name). so I called up the restaurant, ordered it to go, went by all the little outdoor patios, did a little window shopping, got my food, and headed back to our room to veg until he got back (around 11pm). Great food and good company. And when he got back to the room he was too tired to want any action. I still dream about that....

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

stefani
10-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Oo... I am drooling reading all the posts here.

It probably depends on how I feel, but after DS I think I am much more inclined to stay in. That really sounds like a wonderful idea that I should adopt :-) No work, no kid, not jet lagged, no house to clean...

Enjoy! Especially before the baby comes. It gets harder to get the time to do that after the baby.

californiagirl
10-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I fantasize about staying in a hotel by myself. A bath in a real bathtub with nobody who minds stinky bath stuff; watching TV! In bed!

I would probably eat an early dinner and buy some sort of junk food for dessert. And I'd take lots of books. (And I'd leave them in bed when I fell asleep, because I am bad to the bone, baby.)

Bean606
10-16-2007, 11:44 AM
I actually asked for a night in a hotel by myself as a birthday gift. DH thought I was kidding, so I didn't get it. But I wanted to do exactly what you describe - room service, bath, book, SLEEP!!! None of which I get to do at home. If that makes me boring, so be it.