PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else out there that has (had) a late talker?

jess
10-14-2007, 08:51 AM
My son is a little over 19 months and is not talking, and each day I seem to obsess over it a little more. After my daughter (now 5), who talked constantly (still does ;)) from fairly young, my son is an absolute contrast.

He does say baby and daddy, but that is about it. He is always jabbering, but almost always only makes 'ba' sounds. He does understand whatever you seem to say to him, no matter how complex--he can follow two and sometimes 3 step commands after being told just once. When I asked his Dr. about the delayed speech she said not to worry about it until after 2 years, and that as long as he understood what was being said his talking would come later.

I worked for years at an early intervention center and our class specialized in PDD/Autism. My son does not exhibit sensory traits that often are there with Autism...just the no talking.

For those of you who have or have had late talkers, what is the age range? Thanks so much! :)

cmo
10-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Please don't fret just yet! My DD is 20 months, and sounds a lot like what you described with your DS. About a month or two ago, she only had a half a dozen words at most, but clearly understood what we said to her. Just in the past few weeks, she has picked up another dozen words, though only I can understand some of them. :-) She also has older siblings who talked earlier as well. If your parental instinct doesn't tell you that anything is really wrong, I'd say your DS is well within the range of normal. I've known children who had maybe 10-20 words by age 2, and now, a year or more later, you'd never know the difference as they can chat up a storm with all their peers. Hang in there!

Chris

egoldber
10-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Well, if I were you I would definitely get an evaluation. At 19 months he should have at least 10 words or proto words (baba for baby, duhduh for dog, that sort of thing). My older DD was in speech therapy from 20 months to almost 3. She does talk completely normally now, but had very few words until she was almost 3. In her case, it was mixed in with other issues, low tone, oral motor delay and some sensory issues.

If nothing else, I would ask for a referral to EI because in some areas it can take weeks or months to actually get an evaluation. Its also easier to get services when your child enters the system at a younger age.

wendmatt
10-14-2007, 10:44 AM
DD was a very late talker, she didn't say anything at 18mths. She started speech therapy at 19 mths and it did help her. She still didn't say much until well after she was 2 and. She is now almost 5 and talks very well, has a great vocabulary but still struggles with g,k,s sounds. We stopped speech for a year as the therapist told us she was age appropriate and then at 4 she was retested and started up speech therapy again. Getting tested can't do any harm and if he needs speech therapy it's better to start early. Everyone told me not to worry but of course I worried all the time.

nfowife
10-14-2007, 11:00 AM
My DD was also pretty late, had about 5 words at 17 months. I had her evaluated by early intervention but at that time she didn't qualify (in our state, if there is just one area of concern there must be a 50% delay- this varies by state). At that time she was 24% delayed. She did make quite a bit of progress and I had her reevaluated just after she turned 2 and by then she was only about 8 weeks behind her chronological age in speech, and all other areas were at or above her age, so again, not qualifying, but it certainly put me at ease.
You should definitely call for an early intervention evaluation, it's generally free (as is the therapy if you qualify), and if he doesn't qualify, well at least it will put your mind at ease!
Do you sign with him? I found that at that age DD could pick up signs super easily and we just had to watch a signing time once or twice and she'd know the signs by then, it was fun for her!
P.S., at 2.5, she is still slightly behind in articulation, but she basically does not stop talking unless she is asleep...I find myself sometimes telling her in the car to please just listen to the music!

marinkitty
10-14-2007, 12:03 PM
While I think it is always worth getting an evaluation for your own peace of mind if nothing else, I would personally not sweat it until closer to age 2.

Neither one of my kids had even five words until they were 21-22 months - then both had a total language explosions and had over 200 words by the time they were a few months past two. My two and a half year old now is way ahead on speech according to the doctor at his 2.5 year well visit.

Some kids just don't experiment much with language until they are confident they can do it. Mine were definitely in that camp.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.03), Jack (3.05) and another arrival expected this fall!

Sugar Magnolia
10-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say that ds did not call me "Mama" until after he was 2. Now at 3.5 we can not get him to stop talking.

kijip
10-14-2007, 12:56 PM
My son talked very little at 19, 20, 21 months. Then he started talking in full sentences around age 2. I have seen a lot of kids, especially boys, go that way with talking.

wolverine2
10-14-2007, 07:59 PM
My DS had only a couple of words at 18 months. I was interested in an eval, but DH really wanted to wait and see. Signing helped a lot, as he was able to communicate what he wanted through signs. He was talking more by 2, and now at almost 3 his vocabulary seems large, and he talks constantly! He still has a few articulation things, but they seem developmentally appropriate. My understanding is that it's not uncommon at all for boys to talk later, but I never thought an eval would hurt anything.

mum1day
10-14-2007, 08:16 PM
I have a very similar situations. My DS is 18 months and only says a few words. But, we'll be on a walk and he will say "river" as we approach the creek. Just today I asked him how old he would be at his birthday and he said, "four" which is how old my DD will be, last week he said, "two". So, I wonder if he knows the words and just doesn't talk. I am very concerned as my DD was an early talker (and hasn't stopped talking since 9 months!). My son also does not exhibit any signs of autism. I can totally empathize with you!

I do worry too and might call EI, just for piece of mind, even though I know he is fine.

Good luck! And know you're not alone! :)

dr mom
10-14-2007, 08:56 PM
DS only had a few words at that age, but had a language explosion just after age two - now, at 3 1/2, I can't get him to STOP talking. We did sign with him, which helped give him a way to communicate, and he had a vocabulary of around 60 words by 18 months. I knew he could understand me and make himself understood, he just didn't seem to have the skills for verbal speech.

On the other hand, he was Mr. Gross Motor Skills from birth, and he walked/ran/climbed on top of the fridge from a very early age, so I sometimes wondered if he was just less interested in speech than he was in exploration.

Bottom line, if you are really worried about him, it's *always* OK to get an EI evaluation - but I don't think your DS is outside the range of normal.

mom2binsd
10-14-2007, 10:35 PM
As a speech therapist and mother of a 19month old "late talker" son I'd say wait a little longer unless you're really concerned, he's well within the normal range, and yes, boys do tend to talk later, not always but often that's the case.

I too have an older daughter who at 18months knew her colors, and pretty much spoke in sentences (but only walked at 17months). So DS seems "late" but he's a boy with too much energy expended on gross motor skills to worry about talking and he does communicate by using a few few signs for more,please and uses some words although the only ones understood are mama, dada,baba (for his drinks) pa (for grandpa)and sort of "all done", lots of babbling, especially what is called redupicated babbling where they repeat sounds papa, glagla, blubblub, etc....sounds like your DS receptive language is great and he's hopefully going to take off soon (if still concerned at his 2 year app't I'd request an eval). If you do have him evaluated at this time he may not qualify depending on your state (although private services are an option - pricey too and insurance won't usually pay without a "diagnosis".) One helpful website www.ahsa.org , the official website of the American Speech & Hearing Association will have a link for parents for ideas to encourage expressive speech and language. Also google Speech development and you'll get tons of info....although probably too much.

HTH- I'm right there with you on this one, and as I think others expect my child to be talking early just because of my job I sometimes question my DS then I think about all the parents I've discussed this very issue with at work - and relax.

jess
10-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Thank you so much Beth--and everyone--for your feedback. I do feel a bit better about it now, though I know that I will continue to worry until I start hearing some words. Hyper-aware of his speech now, I listen to every sound that he makes...he 'talks' in sounds, rather than words, I think. He has is own sounds for things like cat (a screachy meow), dog (bark), he'll blow on us if he wants the fan on, etc...So, I guess that he kinda has a language, just not appropriate words--the only understandable things he says are the 'baby' and 'daddy'. He is a dangerous climber, so perhaps that is where his energy and concentration are going. We don't have funds for private therapy, but I may ask for an evaluation if no progress is made in the next month or two.

Also, any feedback on signing? I know some basic signs from when I worked with non-verbal kids, but I never even thought of using it with my son (DUH!).

Thanks again, everyone! :)

mom2binsd
10-15-2007, 07:58 PM
I know a lot of friends who loved all the signing times DVD's, I just used some basic signs and then we made up signs for things in our environment....I found DD used the signs and words by an early age, DD however, signs please and more vigorously but doesn't ever use the words and signs like we do, so I figure he's just happy to get his message across however, probably he feel like saying the words is silly, like hey mom, you know what the sign means why should I say it!

Am sure in the next couple of months you'll be glad for some of the "quiet time" you have as he'll probably take off.

Good Luck!

mom2binsd
10-15-2007, 07:58 PM
I know a lot of friends who loved all the signing times DVD's, I just used some basic signs and then we made up signs for things in our environment....I found DD used the signs and words by an early age, DD however, signs please and more vigorously but doesn't ever use the words and signs like we do, so I figure he's just happy to get his message across however, probably he feel like saying the words is silly, like hey mom, you know what the sign means why should I say it!

Am sure in the next couple of months you'll be glad for some of the "quiet time" you have as he'll probably take off.

Good Luck!

julieakc
10-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I haven't read all the responses yet, and I'm sure you've already gotten some good feedback.

DS was a late talker....late everything because of his syndrome, so the speech delay was expected and as such he started with speech therapy at around 18 months (in addition to his other therapies).

Anyway he started babbling at about 9 months, and had his first word pretty much on target around 13 months. He was quite the jabberer all along, but by age 2 he only had about 10 words max and maybe a dozen signs.

By 2.5 he was up to around 37 words and 21 signs (odd #'s because I just looked in my notes). Between 2.5 and 3 he had a word explosion and was using over 100 words by his third birthday and some sentences. Now at 3.5 the increase has continued at a huge rate - his vocabulary and use of words seems pretty age appropriate, but we still have issues with enunciation which will likely always be an issue due to his low muscle tone.

As some of the pps mention it certainly wouldn't hurt to have an evaluation from your State's early intervention program. Whether or not DS qualifies for speech therapy I doubt you have much to worry about in terms of the long-term picture. For my DS once it all clicked he just took off....now I long for those days when he couldn't talk!;)

julieakc
10-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I haven't read all the responses yet, and I'm sure you've already gotten some good feedback.

DS was a late talker....late everything because of his syndrome, so the speech delay was expected and as such he started with speech therapy at around 18 months (in addition to his other therapies).

Anyway he started babbling at about 9 months, and had his first word pretty much on target around 13 months. He was quite the jabberer all along, but by age 2 he only had about 10 words max and maybe a dozen signs.

By 2.5 he was up to around 37 words and 21 signs (odd #'s because I just looked in my notes). Between 2.5 and 3 he had a word explosion and was using over 100 words by his third birthday and some sentences. Now at 3.5 the increase has continued at a huge rate - his vocabulary and use of words seems pretty age appropriate, but we still have issues with enunciation which will likely always be an issue due to his low muscle tone.

As some of the pps mention it certainly wouldn't hurt to have an evaluation from your State's early intervention program. Whether or not DS qualifies for speech therapy I doubt you have much to worry about in terms of the long-term picture. For my DS once it all clicked he just took off....now I long for those days when he couldn't talk!;)

wolverine2
10-15-2007, 09:38 PM
We loved the Signing Time DVD's (and he still loves watching them, though he doesn't use the signs anymore). He had a huge sign vocabulary all from the videos, and it really helped feel like he could communicate with us even though he wasn't using words.

wolverine2
10-15-2007, 09:38 PM
We loved the Signing Time DVD's (and he still loves watching them, though he doesn't use the signs anymore). He had a huge sign vocabulary all from the videos, and it really helped feel like he could communicate with us even though he wasn't using words.

Gena
10-16-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm late coming to this conversation, since I was out of town for a couple of days.

I recommend that you read the book "The Late Talker" by Marilyn Agin and Lisa Geng. Your local library might have a copy.

The book has a good section on how to tell the difference between a speech delay and a speech disorder. It focuses mainly on the speech disorder Apraxia, but has some good info on other speech problems as well. There is also a chapter on activites and toys that encourage speech in young children.

The book may put your mind at ease that your son has a simple delay or it may clue you into signs of a more serious speech problem. Either way it has some helpful information.

Gena
10-16-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm late coming to this conversation, since I was out of town for a couple of days.

I recommend that you read the book "The Late Talker" by Marilyn Agin and Lisa Geng. Your local library might have a copy.

The book has a good section on how to tell the difference between a speech delay and a speech disorder. It focuses mainly on the speech disorder Apraxia, but has some good info on other speech problems as well. There is also a chapter on activites and toys that encourage speech in young children.

The book may put your mind at ease that your son has a simple delay or it may clue you into signs of a more serious speech problem. Either way it has some helpful information.

BillK
10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
We fretted and worried over Zach's speech to the point of getting EI involved at about 18 months - and he ended up qualifying for services.

The girl that does his speech very obviously did not believe in a child being evaluated for speech delays before 24 months - but she came every week and worked with him regardless (but we both could tell her heart wasn't in it because of her feelings).

Well pretty much on cue at 24 months Zach's speech exploded and we can't shut him up now. Turns out our speech therapist DID know what she was talking about. He's due for another evaluation in November and none of us suspect he'll qualify - but that's fine by us.

I wouldn't sweat it until after the 24 month mark if I had it to do over again (but I'm sure my wife would do the exact same thing we did anyway). :-)

BillK
10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
We fretted and worried over Zach's speech to the point of getting EI involved at about 18 months - and he ended up qualifying for services.

The girl that does his speech very obviously did not believe in a child being evaluated for speech delays before 24 months - but she came every week and worked with him regardless (but we both could tell her heart wasn't in it because of her feelings).

Well pretty much on cue at 24 months Zach's speech exploded and we can't shut him up now. Turns out our speech therapist DID know what she was talking about. He's due for another evaluation in November and none of us suspect he'll qualify - but that's fine by us.

I wouldn't sweat it until after the 24 month mark if I had it to do over again (but I'm sure my wife would do the exact same thing we did anyway). :-)

belovedgandp
10-16-2007, 03:39 PM
I've read a few of the responses, but thought I'd chime in too.

My DS is now 3 1/2 and was a late talker. You'd never know it now. Try to look at the whole picture. He had the same 10 to 20 work vocabulary from 10 to 22 months, but by 25 months he was speaking in complete sentences using correct pronouns. We complete missed the cute baby talk phase because he went straight to correct tenses, pronouns, plurals, etc.

His personality was that of an observer. He totally understood verbal instructions. At about 16 months he really grasped onto signs. When we combined his spoken and signed words he was always right at what was considered "normal" for his age.

I understand the concerns. My close friend has a 10 year old son with autism and so many of the "cute" things my DS did she'd remember her son doing as early signs. Some of them definitely are, but some of them are also totally normal toddler things --- lining up cars, needing routine, fascinated by the silliest mechanisms.

It's a whole package deal. It's easy for me who now has a 3 1/2 year old I would like to actually be silent every once in a while to say not worry, but try to follow his cues and see where it takes you. Hope all goes well.