PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed re: supporting my parents at a hard time (serious illness mentioned)

CiderLogan
10-14-2007, 07:35 PM
My uncle, who lives 2 hours away, is very sick; we could lose him within days. My parents (my mom's his big sister) are going back and forth a lot to try to see him as much as possible while trying to balance going to work, maintaining their own health, etc. Any ideas for what I could do for them to help out (beyond the obvious talking to my mom)? They live quite close to me. Flowers seem silly and useless; I have a toddler with me all day so I can't go clean for them.... Am I missing a great idea?

Oh, and today was their anniversary. :( Their gift is waiting at our house until we see them, which may be a while because they are gone to see him a lot. (I've gone with them twice but can't go every time because I don't want to take our girls to the hospital and DH travels for work.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-J (Mama to two amazing girls, ages 1 and 4)

buddyleebaby
10-14-2007, 09:12 PM
When you make dinner could you make some extra and freeze it or bring it over for them to have? At least they won't have to worry about making a meal every night.

I hope someone has some more ideas. You're so thoughtful to want to help.

CiderLogan
10-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks! I ended up buying some groceries for them to take on their trip and making them some quesadillas to eat in the car or as a snack or whatever. At least I felt like I did something! So, thanks for the idea!

-J (Mama to two amazing girls, ages 1 and 4)