PDA

View Full Version : Medic Alert Bracelets

HIU8
10-14-2007, 08:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a medic alert bracelet (or some sort of medic alert something) for their DC and what it was. DS is allergic to penicillin. It is obviously in his file at the peds and in his paperwork at preschool, but I wasn't sure if I should be having him wear a medic alert bracelet or something like that at this point. DS will be 3 in November. Just wondering if anyone had any insight.

Thanks,
Heather
DS 11/27/04
DD 6/9/07

nov04
10-14-2007, 09:24 PM
I would recommend getting the MedicAlert brand bracelet for ds. We just got dd's a few weeks ago for the same reason (we have the Cdn version). We have other things to have engraved on it, but nothing as urgent as penicillin.

The sports bands are great
http://www.medicalert.com/home/HomeCatalog.aspx?Catalog=Sports

I have the steel band myself (15+ yrs) but the sports band has a plastic clasp that will break if it gets caught somewhere. That was important to me especially since its so easily to replace the band.

There are tons of other brands but they don't have the collect # that first responders can call.

LarsMal
10-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Here's another option:

www.stickyj.com/medical-emergency-childrens-medical-ids.html

I haven't ordered DS's yet, but my friend got her DD one. It's cute and she loves wearing it. You can replace the bands if they get worn down.

Hippoharbor
10-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I have had DS wear a medic alert bracelet since he was 25 months old. I have never removed it from him. The emblem occasionally "pinches" at his wrist if he is crawling around, but he adjusts it and is fine.

His reads "Severely allergic to peanuts/nuts
needs epipen
call 911".

I definitely want my DS to wear his as it is a reminder to preschool staff that he has an allergy. Also, if I was ever rendered unconscious and he was in a stranger's care, I hope that they would read the bracelet. I do not know if I would have DC wear one for penicillin allergy, but would be helpful info if he need urgent medical care and the hospital staff had not yet had contact with parents.
I would buy the small-size medical emblem for the bracelet.

2girlsandalab
10-15-2007, 04:10 PM
If you have an FSA account, you can ask your ped to write a letter of medical necessity for a medic alert bracelet for your child. It will be reimbursable thru FSA this way. (basically making it come out of nontaxable income)