PDA

View Full Version : Health issues... what is going on?

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-15-2007, 12:43 AM
I have been having some health problems for the past year and they have recently gotten worse. Last year I had bronchitis from about October-May of this year. I would get it, take med and get better and then get sick 2 weeks later. I saw an ENT and an Allergist. This year the Allergist tested me again for environmental allergies and I tested positive for dust. The dust reaction was very high, off the charts. Since then I have been getting allergy shots. I was going 2x a week for a few months, and I will be starting tapering down, 1x a week for 6 weeks, then once every two weeks, etc. My ENT referred me to a pulmonologist in July and at first he though I had a rare presentation of asthma, because I would have an ongoing cough but my lung function was always 100%+.

He tried me on almost every asthma medication, and they either did not work, or they worked but had bad side effects. I have recently been having major problems with Nausea, and acid reflux. I had a chest CT and Esophogram last week and they both showed up as normal. I have been reading up and heard that the Esophogram is not always an acurate test when the reflux has not caused significant damage yet, and that an Endoscopy is a more reliable test. The only thing that was not normal was a small hiatal hernia. I was on Prevacid and Zantac for the reflux but they did not seem to be helping.

I saw the pulm on Friday and we decided to stop the reflux meds as well as the asthma meds because they did not seem to help. I am staying on my allergy medication (Singulair), because that seems to be the only thing that prevents me from getting recurrent sinus infections. He wants to try me on 500 MG of Zithromax 3x a week for a month. The Pulmonologist said that some people need to be on medication for a longer period of time to knock the bacteria out of their system. I started the med on Friday after my appt. Starting at about 9 PM last night I got very nauseous and I slept for a total of 1 hour last night. I was up from 2 AM-1 PM when I took a 3 hour nap. I have a pounding headache and am still not feeling well. All I have eaten today has been some toast with a smidge of margarine, saltines, applesauce and water/sprite. I have also been coughing a lot and my Xopenex is not helping.

The nausea had gone away but it is now back with a vengeance, and I am worried about going to work tomorrow. I am planning on calling my pulmonologist/ENT first thing in the morning, but if anyone has any ideas of what to do now I would really appreciate it.I am planning on asking my pulm for a Gastro referral as well, depending on how busy my ENT is this week.

Sorry for the very long story, I just know how important it is to have all the facts.

Thanks!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/071010/DkhE.jpg[/img]http://b4.lilypie.com/iOMom7/.png[/img][/url]