PDA

View Full Version : Question for Mirena Users (m)

hobokenmom
10-15-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm just wondering whether anyone has had this experience or can offer an explanation for it.

I've had the Mirena for close to 3 years now, and after the first 3-4 months, never had another monthly period. No spotting, no nothing.

Until this weekend. Now I am having a period. Any clue why?

It just seems so weird.

kristenk
10-15-2007, 08:37 AM
I've had my Mirena for 3.5 years. I haven't had a period lately, but I have recently started experiencing some cramping that's definitely related to my period. The problem is that since I don't have a period, I don't realize that the pain/discomfort/cramping is menstrual-related and I end up freaking myself out that something is really wrong. :(

I've really loved the Mirena and the lack of periods, but I think that I'm going to get it removed next year and deal with periods again.

I've been wondering if maybe the hormone level of the Mirena drops after several years or something like that? It still provides contraceptive protection, but it no longer has the same effect on your period...??? I don't even know if that makes sense, though! :P

s7714
10-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Are you having any other symptoms aside from the actual period? Not to freak you out or anything, but one of the side effects of having the Mirena can be an increased risk of ovarian cysts. I’ve had my Mirena for a little over 2 years. I went a really long time without any period and then suddenly got a really heavy one with cramping--turned out I had a big cyst that had ruptured. (I also had a severe headache and nausea, which I attributed to just being really tired/stressed, but I learned those are symptoms of a cyst rupturing.) My OB isn’t sure why I didn’t have any problems at the beginning and am now, but he thinks it might just be that it took that long for the hormones to fully affect my body. Long story short, if you’re having any other questionable symptoms, it might not hurt to call your OB.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

trumansmom
10-15-2007, 06:48 PM
I've had mine for 3 years now and the past several months I've had horrible cramps, and have started having periods, albeit light ones, again. It sucks. My doctor told me it was very common.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

trumansmom
10-15-2007, 06:48 PM
I've had mine for 3 years now and the past several months I've had horrible cramps, and have started having periods, albeit light ones, again. It sucks. My doctor told me it was very common.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

hobokenmom
10-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Hmmmmm....I'll be going for my annual in a month or so, and I'll ask my OB/GYN then. Maybe the hormones start to wear out of the Mirena at a certain point.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. It's just weird (and annoying). Good thing I even had a tampon in the house. Think of all the money I've saved over the past three years!!

Amy

hobokenmom
10-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Hmmmmm....I'll be going for my annual in a month or so, and I'll ask my OB/GYN then. Maybe the hormones start to wear out of the Mirena at a certain point.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. It's just weird (and annoying). Good thing I even had a tampon in the house. Think of all the money I've saved over the past three years!!

Amy