PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Mitsubishi Montero Sport??

Tammy
10-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Not sure where to post this, but I was wondering if any of you have one? We're looking at a used 2003 Montero Sport. I currently have a Mazda 626 and have never owned an SUV, but like the looks of them. We have one dd so far, and would like to have another lo within a few years. This has cloth interior (which I like) and seems roomy rather than some of the other ones I've seen. Also has the V6 which we're wanting. Thanks for the input!

ged
10-15-2007, 05:11 PM
I had an older model, I think a '97 (?) so this could be completely irrelevant, but the biggest problem I had with it was the turning radius. It was beyond lousy. The ride was really smooth at the begining, and then the suspension (?) began to get worse. I don't recall any other major problems. One thing I did really like about it was the sunroof/moonroof. Closing it is so easy - our current Highlander needs to learn a lesson from them regarding that. I think the safety ratings for my model were pretty low, I hope they have improved upon that since. HTH!

ged
10-15-2007, 05:13 PM
I had an older model, I think a '97 (?) so this could be completely irrelevant, but the biggest problem I had with it was the turning radius. It was beyond lousy. The ride was really smooth at the begining, and then the suspension (?) began to get worse. I don't recall any other major problems. One thing I did really like about it was the sunroof/moonroof. Closing it is so easy - our current Highlander needs to learn a lesson from them regarding that. I think the safety ratings for my model were pretty low, I hope they have improved upon that since. HTH!

ged
10-15-2007, 05:13 PM

crAbbymom
10-15-2007, 05:39 PM
We had an '01 and it was OK. For a V6, it had NO acceleration. I hated when I had to pull into any kind of traffic, because the darn thing wouldn't GO! My V6 minivan had better pickup! The other thing I didn't like was that along the front windows, there was a kind of tinted lip. I have no idea what it is called. Anyway, you could see through it, but barely. I felt like it blocked my vision. Other than those couple of things, I liked it. It had a nice ride and looked REALLY good.

We ended up selling it less than a year ago and getting an older V8 Explorer. Now THAT has some "get up and go"!

Edited for typos :)

TracyBee
10-15-2007, 07:41 PM
We liked our 2001 so much, we bought another one - a 1999!

It's a great midsized SUV - and for its size it gets decent gas mileage. I've not noticed a lack of power, but I do have the bigger engine (mine's a limited) and my previous car was a Mitsubish eclipse 4 cyl. that had a MAJOR lack of power issue - had to turn off the ac to accelerate.

DH has an LS, I believe - a lower end model. He has cloth interior that has held up well and again, never noticed a lack of power.

We've both got 90,000 miles and never a single problem. One thing to remember is to change that timing belt at least every 60,000 miles.

TracyBee
10-15-2007, 07:41 PM
We liked our 2001 so much, we bought another one - a 1999!

It's a great midsized SUV - and for its size it gets decent gas mileage. I've not noticed a lack of power, but I do have the bigger engine (mine's a limited) and my previous car was a Mitsubish eclipse 4 cyl. that had a MAJOR lack of power issue - had to turn off the ac to accelerate.

DH has an LS, I believe - a lower end model. He has cloth interior that has held up well and again, never noticed a lack of power.

We've both got 90,000 miles and never a single problem. One thing to remember is to change that timing belt at least every 60,000 miles.