PDA

View Full Version : long shot- Anyone use probiotic cream?

LarsMal
10-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Specifically Natren's Probiotic Face Cream?

I have been reading a lot online about the benefits of taking probiotics to help with eczema. One article I read said that using a probiotic cream is a healthy alternative to steroid or cortisone ointments/creams. I was just curious if anyone has used one- either for themselves or on their child. I am considering trying it out on myself to see if it gets similar or better results than the prescribed treatment I'm on. I just don't like the fact that I've been using the steroid ointment for so long. I'd like to try something more natural.

I just hope it's not a bunch of bull!!!

Any BTDT or probiotic knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Melanie
10-16-2007, 02:00 AM
I have. I like the smell. It didn't seem to do anything for Ds' eczema (that is what we got it for) over other non-steroidal cremes. I don't think it's just a bunch of bull, but it didn't work miraculously for us.

I will say we are big believers in their ingested probiotics and the entire family takes them. I think you're going down the right path, for sure. I've heard bad things about treating eczema with steroid creams and it coming back later in life with avengence. I would eventually resort to it if a spot got too bad, for a night or so.

I think you'd be better off to give him some internally or in additon to the creme, in case he has some food absorption/allergy issues. It couldn't hurt. We take a variety of them depending upon if it' just for maintenance, reflux, constipation, etc. You might want to google 'leaky gut syndrome,' as well.

My son was on a terrible amount of ANTIbiotics at the tail end of his first year/beginning of his second. The eczema started not long after that.

Edited to fix typo.

Melanie
10-16-2007, 02:00 AM
I have. I like the smell. It didn't seem to do anything for Ds' eczema (that is what we got it for) over other non-steroidal cremes. I don't think it's just a bunch of bull, but it didn't work miraculously for us.

I will say we are big believers in their ingested probiotics and the entire family takes them. I think you're going down the right path, for sure. I've heard bad things about treating eczema with steroid creams and it coming back later in life with avengence. I would eventually resort to it if a spot got too bad, for a night or so.

I think you'd be better off to give him some internally or in additon to the creme, in case he has some food absorption/allergy issues. It couldn't hurt. We take a variety of them depending upon if it' just for maintenance, reflux, constipation, etc. You might want to google 'leaky gut syndrome,' as well.

My son was on a terrible amount of ANTIbiotics at the tail end of his first year/beginning of his second. The eczema started not long after that.

Edited to fix typo.

LarsMal
10-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks! It's actually for me! DS just has a couple pesky spots that I can keep under control with cremes.

Which probiotics do you take? I read that L.acidophilus and B.bifinum are the ones to take for "leaky gut" and to help with eczema. Is there one bottle that contains both or do I need to buy them separately? Also, did you just do this on your own or did you actually get a "leaky gut"/allergy type diagnosis?

Thanks!

LarsMal
10-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks! It's actually for me! DS just has a couple pesky spots that I can keep under control with cremes.

Which probiotics do you take? I read that L.acidophilus and B.bifinum are the ones to take for "leaky gut" and to help with eczema. Is there one bottle that contains both or do I need to buy them separately? Also, did you just do this on your own or did you actually get a "leaky gut"/allergy type diagnosis?

Thanks!

supercalifragilous
10-16-2007, 11:57 AM
>My son was on a terrible amount of probiotics at the tail end
>of his first year/beginning of his second. The eczema started
>not long after that.

Since the eczema started after he took so many probiotics, do you think they triggered the eczema?

Melanie
10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
ACK! TYPO! TYPO! I'll go back and fix it. It should have been ANTIBIOTICS. Terrible amount of ANTI-biotics.

I shouldn't reply when I'm tired, but then I guess I would never!
SOrry for the confusion.

Melanie
10-16-2007, 12:21 PM
I just started on my own. For adults, you can take Healthy Trinity which contains those two (you meant bifiDum, right?) plus Lactobacillus bulgaricus. In general, if any combo probiotics are offered they're worthless b/c th bacteria fight and kill eachother. However Healthy Trinity has them suspended in an oil that keeps them separated somehow.

For Dc I use their Life Start when they were Exclusively Breastfed, then added in regular acidolphilus and Bifidus as well. I give the GastoPh to Ds sometimes as well, but he's almost 6. For them I just mix the powders in water and give it to them. I suppose the best way is separate each by a couple of hours, but that would never happen here and some is better than none.

Their website has lots of info on it about the different strains, then you could always google them once you get the names. www.natren.com

supercalifragilous
10-16-2007, 04:50 PM
LOL!!! Now THAT makes more sense!! I should've guessed! :D

Thanks for clarifying!