PDA

View Full Version : Quick help - Beach Safety Gear

lovin2shop
10-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Okay, this is very last minute, so I'm posting in the lounge for more traffic. I'm going on vacation tomorrow morning and decided that we are unprepared for a beach trip. This will be the first time that we bring Drew (5) to the beach. I was not envisioning him going in any further than where he can sit and splash, so I don't have any kind of flotation device for him. But, duh, the waves could come up pretty fast, so I'm rethinking this. Plus, I'll be with him by myself for the first day and half, and I'm not moving too quickly these days! I wouldn't let him anywhere near the water without me, but now I'm making myself very anxious envisioning him and I getting separated by a gigantic wave! FWIW, he can swim, but he's definitely a beginner. We typically don't use any floaties at the pool because he gets attached to them quickly and then does not want to swim on his own. So, what would be appropriate at the beach? I'm thinking a full on life vest would be overkill? Or is that recommended? I tend to be quite overprotective, but I'm trying to loosen up a little. So, what is a good moderate course of action here? I practically grew up on the beach, you'd think that this would not be so confusing for me!

SnuggleBuggles
10-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Call me a bad mom because we didn't take any safety precautions with 5yo ds at the beach- no vests or anything. Just constant vigilance and staying right with him. Luckily he is not a dare devil and would not run out into water deeper than mid calf if we were not right next to him. So, maybe you need to consider his temperament. Will he stay with you? Also, will you really go out that deep? Or just wade?

Most of the time ds just played in the sand or very shallow surf.

If a vest makes you feel more comfortable take it and use it if necessary. :)

Beth

bubbaray
10-16-2007, 09:53 PM
We have never used a PFD or anything like floaties with DD#1 or DD#2, both of whom have been at the beach starting at under 6m (under 3m with DD#1). DD#1 is a great swimmer, but we are always close by her at the water (within a few feet).

It really depends on the child and also the parent -- and also the location. I'd be less at ease at the ocean than I am at a lake. Waves and tides (and riptides) are more of an issue at the ocean. If you are on a large river, current might be an issue, even relatively close to shore.

If you are going to be anxious, then get a PFD. Floaties aren't safe anyway. You want to both have a vacation, KWIM?

Have a great trip!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007