PDA

View Full Version : DD's negative attitude - any advice?

npace19147
10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
DD1 is being really negative right now. Most everything she starts to do is approached by saying "I can't do it" even when it's a puzzle or toy she's done/played with a zillion times before. Sometimes I encourage her and say "yes you can" and sometimes I ignore her (depending on where my patience level is). When she does do whatever it is, she lights up and gets very excited and says "I did it!"

Can anyone tell me if this might be a phase, or starting a really negative/pessimistic attitude? I don't know what to do about it other than keep encouraging her. TIA!

pinkmomagain
10-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I have an 8 yo who has a very negative attitude and is quick to get frustrated/defeated when it comes to schoolwork, trying something new, etc. My other 2 are not like this at all, so I do believe that some kids/people are wired this way. It could be just a phase for your child or the beginning of a mindset. I do believe though that what we do as parents can have an impact. I just ordered a book yesterday that I am hoping will help me with my dd, maybe you'll find it useful:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780809297658&itm=1

Good Luck,

Gina

o_mom
10-17-2007, 11:59 AM
DS1 has this - everything is "too hard" even if I have seen him do it before.

I have started the book "Raising a Thinking Child" and it has some great, very detailed activitys that help them learn to problem solve. Most of them are things you can do in the car or when you are grocery shopping, for example. I need to get my own copy, thought, because I think I'm going to need it for the long term and not just read it once and return to the library.