PDA

View Full Version : name my baby...please!

LBW
10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Help! DH basically refuses to discuss baby names with me. I can throw out a name, and he'll tell me if he hates it, but that's about it. I have yet to hear, "Yes, I like that one." I've resorted to asking my 5-year old DS what he thinks. Of course, he wants to name the baby after his friends. We don't talk to people IRL about our name choices, so I can't discuss this with our friends and family.

DS1 is Liam Benedict. DS2 is Owen Finn. I like first names that do not have obvious nicknames. I prefer Irish names (both of my parents are from there). I'm also trying to avoid another -am/-an/-en/-in ending.

Any ideas? Liam, Owen, and ...

caleymama
10-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Colin is what immediately popped into my head, but that doesn't quite meet your criteria.
Love, love your DS1 and DS2's names :)

Some others I can think of. . .
Brody/Brady
Conner/Conor
Gavin
Quinn
Ross
Teague
Trevor

elliput
10-17-2007, 08:24 PM
If you tell him a name and he doesn't say he hates it, say something like "good, I'll put that one at the top of the list."

Are you looking for both boy and girl names?

gatorruth
10-17-2007, 08:27 PM
>I've resorted to asking my 5-year old DS what he thinks. Of
>course, he wants to name the baby after his friends.

When we were discussing names for DD, our son told us that he wanted her to be named UPS. I told him that UPS was taken already...

cute, huh???

Good luck with your choice!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Riley!
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

B.A.F.
10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
My favorite topic.

First, congrats on number three on the way!

Boy names:

Patrick
Wallace
Tanner
Connor
Daniel
John :-)

Girl names:

Maeve
Molly
Kelly
Neve
Eliza
Grace
Nora
Fiona
Philomena
Anne
Kerry

buddyleebaby
10-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Padraig

katydid1971
10-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Gavin and Fiona

Good luck!! Watch out a friend of mine's DH named their daughter while she was getting stiched up after her CS. She didn't like the name but of course it has grown on her.
:)

MamaMolly
10-17-2007, 10:27 PM
I like Sean.

Liam, Owen and Sean sound so nice together IMHO.

Good luck!
Molly

TracyBee
10-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Boys

Patrick
Terrence
Morgan
Conor
Luke
Ryan
Callum
Shane
Samuel
Cormac
Rory
Ronan
Aidan

Girls

Ava
Sophie
Ella
Chloe
Clara
Ainsely
Lily
Eva
Alaina
Maeve

Tondi G
10-17-2007, 10:55 PM
I too am a fan of Irish names (my Dad is Irish)! My boys are Mason Liam and Aidan Gabriel!

Have you seen this site?

http://www.babynamesofireland.com/

My thoughts would be Aidan or Gavin (both with the "n" sound at the end though!) For what it's worth my Dads name is Brendan. I also like Brennan and Declan has grown on me too. What about Emmett?

Good Luck deciding! We had the Hardest time with a 2nd Boy name, can't imagine what we would do with a 3rd boy to name!!!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

JBaxter
10-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Connor
Shane
Brayden ( Braiden)
Kevin
Kyler

Shannon
Shae
Keira
Kelly ( kellie)
Morgan

LBW
10-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Sorry, just boy names!

The problem is that I don't even get, "I like that one." His idea of a positive response is telling me an association he has with the name. Like, "Oh, when I hear that one I think of such and such national park." I usually have to grill him to even figure out if it's a positive or negative association. The whole process is so ridiculous and exhausting.

I really should just come up with two or three names that I love and tell him that they are the only options.

LBW
10-18-2007, 07:41 AM
That's really cute!

LBW
10-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Yes, I love that website. I've listened to every single name on the site, and many are on the list that I've been working with.

I thought the 2nd boy name was hard, too. This one is just awful! If I hadn't thought we were "done" I wouldn't have used Finn as Owen's middle name.

LBW
10-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I've got all of your boy suggestions so far below. I separated them by ones we can't use and ones that are going onto my list.

Can’t use b/c DH has already vetoed (his reason in parens):
Quinn (associates with Daria’s sister (the MTV cartoon), so not for boys)
Ronan (movie Ronin)
Rory (female character on Gilmore Girls, so not for boys)
Ross (doesn’t like Friends)
Wallace (don’t like the nn Wally)

Can’t use b/c family names:
Aidan
Declan
John
Kevin
Patrick / Padraig
Shane
Terrence
Emmett (I have a niece, Emma)

Can’t use b/c friends’ kids’ names:
Brayden / Brendan / Brennan
Brody / Brady
Colin
Gavin
Kyler
Luke
Morgan
Tanner
Trevor

So, that leaves us with these. A few were already on my list. I added some others that I've been thinking about. Anything stand out as great / terrible?
Calum
Conor
Cormac
Daniel
Harry
Henry
Hugh
Jasper
Malcolm
Max
Neil
Riley
Ryan
Samuel
Sean
Teague

almostmom
10-18-2007, 08:48 AM
What about Heath? More English than Irish, but not far off--

beckyr88
10-18-2007, 09:05 AM
I *love* the name Henry.

JBaxter
10-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Berke?

Griffin, Pierce, (Hey I like those 2 together LOL) Keegan

marinkitty
10-18-2007, 09:52 AM
I like Henry with your other boys' names the most, I think. But also like Cormac with them (though this could easily turn into Cory as a nickname and I am with you on nickname proof first names). Good luck - we are struggling with a name for our third as well and my DH is about as interested in helping pick as yours.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.03), Jack (3.05) and another arrival expected this fall!

megs4413
10-18-2007, 09:54 AM
i like henry, sean, and teague in that order.

i don't like malcolm or neil.

clc053103
10-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Off the list- my choice is Ryan. Love love love that name.

scoop22
10-18-2007, 11:31 AM
oh i feel your pain.. when i was pregnant with ds we were going on a trip one month before. the entire time i would say a name and dh would veto it. i think he hated every name in the book. i asked him to say some names we got tree, rock, sign... i was furious. when it came time to have ds dh asked the nurse for a name book. i almost kicked him out...

with that said. i love your boy names i am always at a blank. if you are sticking with the four letters??? ryan would win vote. i also like sean.. if you aren't sticking witht he four letters.. henry has really grown on me. i also really like conor.

good luck. i know dh stressed me out. i dread going through this again. ds was born and i just said a name. and that is what he is called.. i love the name!!! i can't wait to hear what you pick

http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/WtLfm4.png

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Malcolm gets my vote. If we didn't already have a Malcolm in the family it would be my pick for this little one.

I kick myself often for not using a name b/c some friend used it. Well, they moved a year after ds was born and we haven't stayed in touch. It wouldn't have mattered one bit if ds had the same name! I wouldn't let that really be a factor, especially if it is a middle name.

Beth

B.A.F.
10-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Instead of Max (which I love of course), how about something like MacMillan (MacMillan James is nice), and call him Mac.

Other ideas:

Miller
James
Seamus
Keifer
Ford

Clarity
10-18-2007, 02:21 PM
I like Neil with Liam, and Owen. I also like Sean.

SASM
10-18-2007, 02:35 PM
My 2 suggestions are already taken: Liam and Finn!! :) One of those would have been DD2's name if she turned out to be a "DS2". :)

So...how about

Cullen/Cavan
Riley :)
Gannon
Keegan

Sorry...all except one are -n names. Like you, we were obviously going for the Irish thing as well. I second that Irish names website. We were going through the same issue ~ didn't get much help from DH but ultimately his two names were our final choices. I will say that my favorite books to look through were the "Baby Name Wizard" and "Baby Name Bible". Good luck!

SASM
10-18-2007, 02:38 PM
My top 2 suggestions are already taken: Liam and Finn!! :) One of those would have been DD2's name if she turned out to be a "DS2". :)

So...how about:

Cullen/Cavan
Riley :)
Gannon
Keegan

Sorry...all except one are -n names. Like you, we were going for the Irish/no nickname thing as well. I second that Irish names website. We were going through the same issue ~ didn't get much help from DH but ultimately his two names were our final choices. I will say that my favorite books to look through were the "Baby Name Wizard" and "Baby Name Bible". Good luck!

alleyoop
10-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Dashell!

Momof3Labs
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Cormac or Connor/Conor (though the latter is very popular these days, not sure how you feel about that).

MommyAllison
10-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Hmmm, from your list, I love Henry and wish we could use it if we ever have a DS. Unfortunately, my DH also has some strange reasons for not using certain names. *sigh* Just because we once were associated with someone who had a son named Henry...

I did want to add another possibility. We have friends who have Aidan, Liam, and Danek. I don't think Danek is at all Irish but then again, I don't know what it is. :) Good luck!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

Tondi G
10-18-2007, 09:10 PM
My neighbors DS has a close friend named Cullen and it has grown on me.... thought I would throw it out there!

Corie
10-18-2007, 09:16 PM
My daughter had the most adorable boy in her preschool class
for several years in Texas and his name was Teague.

I love this name!

R2sweetboys
10-18-2007, 09:59 PM
O.K., my first choice is obvious, based on your list... Ryan! :-) Honestly, I think it sounds great with Owen and Liam.(both names I love!)
I've also always really liked Samuel. I'm pretty traditional though I guess.

A name that comes to mind that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Curran. It's definitely Irish(my maiden name-my pat. grandparents were born there), but more traditionally a last name in Ireland I think. I do happen to know a little boy around here with Curran as a first name and he's SO cute. My son Ryan has this as a middle name but I sometimes wonder if I should have used it as a first name for one of my boys. Anyway, sorry for rambling! Good luck-it's so tough! :)

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

Puddy73
10-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Another vote for Cormac or Declan. I like Seamus, but DH vetoed it as "too" Irish.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

fivi2
10-19-2007, 12:17 PM
From your list I like:
Calum
Malcolm
Henry
maybe Jasper

I also really like Gavin - how good of friends are you with the people who used it? :)

I also like Rowan, but not sure if it is a girl or boy name...
Oh, and I like Quinn - I know boys with that name!

urquie
10-19-2007, 04:08 PM
of the ones listed so far, i like cormac and max the best.

a couple more to consider -

mccabe
madigan
mccarten

kim_d
10-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Cormac is a family name and it was on our short list when I was pregnant with #2.

The other names I LOVE are Eamonn and Kieran. Although they have the "n" ending.

ha98ed14
10-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I think they are all nice. You can't go wrong with an Irish name, but I wanted to let you know that my DH teaches 4th grade and this year he has a Riley, a Teague, and a Keegan in his class, but they are GIRLS!

Its so hard to pick a trendy name that will not be gender-bending someday! The names that used to be boys names in England at the turn of the century were the most popular girls names in my generation (Ashley, Blair, Hillary, etc.) Because of that, no one would ever name their boy Ashley! Blair, maybe.

So unless you don't mind DS having a name that in a few years might be given to girls, be careful. For some reason, I can handle girls having what was traditionally a boy's name, but giving a boy a name that could be mistaken for a girl seems aweful!

Just my 2 cents! Good Luck.

fivi2
10-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I think some of it is still a regional thing - I grew up in the south and knew boys named Ashley, Courtney, Kelly, etc. And I didn't grow up at the turn of the century!

I also think that although the girls have "stolen" some of these names that many of them are still fine for boys and will be for a while. JMO

LBW
10-22-2007, 06:52 PM
I appreciate your help so much. DH and I have yet to have another name conversation - we were busy with DS1's 5th birthday party over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised that so many of you like Henry and Cormac - they are two names that have been on my list since I found out I was pregnant. But, every time I suggest Cormac, DH repeats it back to me as a question - like he doesn't even believe it's a real name. He had me thinking I was nuts to like it! Calum has been growing on me lately - so it was also nice to see some positive comments about it.

I'm pretty sure we won't settle on a name until this little guy makes his arrival. I'm going to work on my own short list of names that I like, and if DH doesn't feel like discussing them, we'll just pick from my list after DS3 is born.

Thanks, again for the help!

Oh, and for the curious, I think the top ten names were:

Henry
Cormac
Sean
Conor / Max / Ryan / Teague
Malcolm
Calum / Jasper