PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a music program?

clc053103
10-18-2007, 08:02 AM
I am taking DS out of the current music class b/c of a new request to keep the kids (all toddlers under 3 except 1 four year old) in our laps during the majority of class. I'm going to avoid getting into the story since that would belong in the bitching post, but the four year old's mom complained about toddlers being toddlers, and instead of suggesting she try another session, they are accomodating her, and ruining it for the toddlers that like to dance, march, and move to the music. DS really enjoys music, and I would like to try a different program.

the current program is Music Together. Would like to hear your suggestions- I am interested in ones that encourage dance and free movement, with adequate space in a safe environment (this one was in a cramped closet-like room!). Thanks!

Rachels
10-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Wow, I'm surprised that your MT class is like that. Ours is just the opposite. I love the MT program. Is there another teacher you could try? That sitting-still-in-the-lap thing is definitely not consistent with their philosophy.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better." - Maya

emily_gracesmama
10-18-2007, 08:28 AM
We use music together also and love it the only time the kids in our classes are required to sit is when they are playing with the smooth and bumpy sticks. If they get up and want to run around, we as parents are supposed to take the sticks away, i think they had some kids get hurt or maybe hit someone with them? I am also very surprised by that.

LBW
10-18-2007, 08:33 AM
I agree with the pp's - we loved MT and the kids were encouraged to dance and interact throughout our classes. I guess it really does depend on your teacher.

I would either try out another class at the same center (if they have different teachers) or look for another local MT class. You could also see if you have a local Kindermusik program. (Our local KM teacher has rules much like your current MT teacher, so we didn't go that route.)Sometimes libraries or places like The Little Gym offer music classes. Gymboree, too, right?

egoldber
10-18-2007, 08:55 AM
I would suggest you give feedback to your instructor that this is not acceptable and not what you signed up for. Thats seems crazy for any music program that includes toddlers.

clc053103
10-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I am so happy that I posted what program it was- I am glad to see feedback from other MT participants that agree this goes against the program. For the first 5 weeks of class, there was no rule on staying seated at any time-and I was impressed by the kids who got up and marched and danced and participated. But we have a preschooler in the class (mother told us she had the preschooler there as a preschool substitute b/c she didn't research preschools in time- so this child will be gone in the spring to a preschool and never seen again by MT!) whose mother looks at the toddlers like they are animals- she will actually wrap her arms around her daughter any time one of the toddlers comes near her. She's the one that complained for "safety". The room itself poses more safety hazards- it's a too tiny room and very cramped, there's a metal baseboard heater on one wall, the electrical outlets do not have safety covers, and there's stairs. However, the class has now been changed to satisfy the "safety" concerns of one, and all the other kids are missing out. I have a very large DS- trying to keep him on my lap is stressful for me and not fair for him.

I remember reading in the introductory info that you may need to try different sessions to find one that suits your child. Well, this woman is not a fit in our group, but since she says she is unable to attend another session, our session has been changed to accomodate her. When I complained, it was suggested that I try a different session- well I work part time, and I can't make another session. Not to mention, I signed up with a friend in the session who is having the same issue as me. Why should the rest of the group suffer?

From Day one my friend and I have said we are in love with the program, but weren't nuts about the teacher. We are in the Bucks Co, PA area- anyone attend in Bucks Co or close by in Mercer Co, NJ and want to reccommend their location?? :-)

Thanks again for everyone's input!!

annasmom
10-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Wow are you in luck. There are absuletely a TON of locations in Mercer County - the Princeton area primarily. The lab school is in downtown Princeton (it is where MT originated) and there are other locations as well. Here is a link to the Center for Music and Young Children:

http://www.cmyc.com/

p.s. Some locations are better than others. The MT location in downtown Princeton (there are 2 Princeton locations) is great. I think some other locations might be closer to you though.

Good luck!

clc053103
10-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Wow there are a LOT! I actually live on the NJ/PA border so it's closer to me to go to NJ then a lot of PA locations!

Is there any instructor in particular that you think is really outstanding with the toddlers? My DS has a real love for music- sings along to the CD's and has great rythym and I would really love for us to keep encouraging his love of music.

Snugglibumkins
10-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear it is all working out for you to find another class. We also go to a music class (not the same one as you, though) that requests the kids sit in laps. Hmmpphh...boo on that - it doesn't work for me or my kids. They hear the music and they want to move - so we have chosen a different class as well. I'm actually the temporary teacher of the movement class right now and the emphasis is to keep the kids enjoying themselves by marching, balancing, clapping, etc to the music. We finish our class with about 15 minutes of parachute play, and it works better for my kids' personalities.

annasmom
10-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi, sorry to have left you hanging. Short answer is no, I don't know of anyone in particular. We haven't actually done a class in a long time. We had Wendy, and she was great, if that is any help. I do know a ton of people who take classes at all different locations, and everyone loves it.

niccig
10-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Wow, I started reading the post and was going to reply about MT classes, and boy was I surprised that it's the class you are having trouble with. Our MT class is multi-age so kids from babies to 5 yo. Some kids sit, some kids get up and move and anything is fine. The teacher gets us up a lot to move around the room. DS used to run around the room (not hurting anyone), and now he just want to sit and not move, so DH and I move around him - our teacher doesn't mind saying that he is taking it all in. I would complain up the MT ladder, not sure who to, but that is definitely not a toddlers music class.

clc053103
10-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I appreciate your responses and experiences.

I am still very interested in the MT program. Before the change, I really liked the fact that all responses were acceptable- but now it's just not fun. I am definitely going to try another location and bring this situation to the attention of MT. I think it was poorly handled. It is an "all ages" class- but due to one parent, it's just not toddler friendly. I have heard other locations have more suitable accomodations as well with more space to move.

vwh99
10-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Definitely bring it to the attention of the person in charge of MT. We also go to MT and our class is constantly in motion. And half of the class is about 4 years old and they all seem to love being up and about with the music. I wonder what this mom's 'issue' is?

clc053103
10-19-2007, 08:21 AM
This 4 yr old doesn't move around much- though she does seem to enjoy herself. as for her mom's issue- I was actually really nice to her when the class started b/c she told me she was new to the area (in return, she looks at my son and his toddler buddies like he's insane, but I digress...). I think she's just waaaay overprotective of her daughter. As I said, she hugs her to her every time another child comes within 2 feet of them. when DS tried to play the daughter's drum with her, she put up her arms like he was going to hit her in the face- which he was no where near.

I am definitely trying another location- unfortunately, all the classes at this location (which is a crummy location to begin with) are taught by the same instructor, and based on her handling of this situation, I really don't want to feed her business any further.

emily_gracesmama
10-19-2007, 06:08 PM
i live in churchville, your profile is disabled so i can't send you a message, but we are using the mt class at the huntingdon valley facility, feel free to email me for info. [email protected]

BeachBum
10-21-2007, 08:12 AM
We do Kindermusik, and have had a great experience. There is no option for MT.
But for anyone else reading this I just wanted to point out that our KM does not have punitive toddler rules. We do lots of dancing, marching, twirling and the like.