PDA

View Full Version : Article: Parents Use Religion to Avoid Vaccines **FYI: long article**

Ceepa
10-18-2007, 09:59 AM
By STEVE LeBLANC, Associated Press Writer
Thu Oct 18, 4:21 AM ET

BOSTON - Sabrina Rahim doesn't practice any particular faith, but she had no problem signing a letter declaring that because of her deeply held religious beliefs, her 4-year-old son should be exempt from the vaccinations required to enter preschool.

Edited to remove balance of article due to copyright violation. Link posted below.

C99
10-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Can you please post the original source link?

JBaxter
10-18-2007, 12:28 PM
I think this is it or something very similar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071017/ap_on_re_us/vaccine_skeptics;_ylt=Ajb4Z9zXey8E.FooSYzhjoRa24cA

daisymommy
10-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah well, when your state forces you into a corner, and only gives you one option to avoid doing what you, as a mother, deem dangerous to do to your own child--well then--a mother will do anything she has to do to protect her child.

I'm speaking for myself here. The state of Virginia only allows for religious exemptions.

But basically, God put me in charge of keeping my kids safe. If I truly believe that they are in danger by being vaccinated, then that goes against what God wants me to do as their mother. By not following God, that goes against my religion.

I've got kids jumping around me, so I'll have to post more later ;)

I was going to add more...but this seems more personal than I am willing to share here on the big-boards. If anyone out there wants to talk more about this via email, I'm open to it.

Ceepa
10-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Ooops. Was away from the board all day. Just now saw that I violated copyright law. :P

Thanks to poster who added link for article.

-Ceepa

kep
10-18-2007, 06:06 PM
>But basically, God put me in charge of keeping my kids safe.
>If I truly believe that they are in danger by being
>vaccinated, then that goes against what God wants me to do as
>their mother. By not following God, that goes against my
>religion.

Well said!

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

nov04
10-18-2007, 11:26 PM
While I am a firm believer in vaccinating, I respect and applaud a parent who fights for something they believe in (and have educated themselves about) for their child.

dr mom
10-19-2007, 04:00 AM
A parent who has educated themselves about the issue and made an informed decision about what is best for their child should be allowed to decline vaccination - it is unfortunate that the only way to do so in many states (including NC, where I live) is claiming a religious exemption.

But if you have to choose between deceiving the state and doing what you believe is best for your child...ethically, there's no question in my mind that a parent's first obligation is to their child's welfare. When the state takes the inflexible position that making an *informed* decision not to vaccinate is "irrational and fear-based," parents don't have many options, do they?

On the other hand, I feel very strongly that parents have an obligation to be educated and well-informed on this issue. Parents who make the claim that "the risk of vaccines is worse than the risk of the actual disease" without differentiating between them have obviously never seen a young child suffering from measles or polio. The risk of contracting the disease is still very low - due primarily to herd immunity, because almost everyone else is vaccinated - but the risk of death or permanent disability from the disease itself is actually quite high.

Likewise, parents who "are not convinced vaccinations help" really need to specify which vaccine they are talking about. Many vaccines have been shown to provide excellent long-term immunity when the appropriate boosters are given; on the other hand, you can make a well-argued case that we really don't know how long Gardasil (HPV) or Varicella (chickenpox) actually work in the body, because the vaccines are so new. As a parent, you have to take responsibility for educating yourself, because the risk/benefit of each vaccine is different.

DDowning
10-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Cindy - Thank you for that. I have a question and I hope its not a stupid one to ask. Will the effectiveness of vaccination be ever reduced by the increase of population that choses not to be vaccinated?

Elilly
10-19-2007, 12:33 PM
My son has an immune deficiency and cannot receive vacinations. He also has autism. This makes me not want to give him vaccinations. By law, he does not have to receive vaccinations for medical reasons. But, I hope to use a religious exemption for our daughter at our Catholic school. I'm prepared to hire a lawyer if necessary. This is a non-negotiable issue for me. I hope it all works out. Anyone have any experience with filing a religious exemption for a private school? I'd appreciate any advice.

o_mom
10-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Not Cindy, but wanted to point out that in the case of chicken pox, the effectiveness of the vaccine is actually *reduced* by wide spread vaccination.

denna
10-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Good for her! Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. If I was put in a similar situation I would do the same.