PDA

View Full Version : Article: Sexual misconduct plagues US schools.

KBecks
10-20-2007, 08:35 PM
I thought this was an interesting article about the number of (known) teachers who have taken advantage of students...... but it makes me even more inclined to homeschool!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071020/ap_on_re_us/teacher_sex_abuse

MamaMolly
10-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I've worked as a teacher in Georgia and in Illinois. In both counties in Georgia I had to have a background check that included fingerprinting. In Illinois I had to have a TB test!

I think it is incumbent upon the school system to do thorough background checks on prospective employees. Believe me, the bad guys know the school systems that don't do checks, and that is where they go.

Gives me shivers! I don't know about homeschool. I'm kind of looking forward to the break ;-) But I think I will be room mom, a general PITA and underfoot all the time.

Molly

gatorsmom
10-20-2007, 10:20 PM
I read this too and was very disturbed by it. We plan to send our children to private schools, so you can bet I'll be asking questions about what background and reference checks they do on their employees.

I really have a hard time understanding the "protectionistic" attitude these schools have had toward offenders and perpetrators. I don't have a hard time believing that this was "just the way it was done" back in the 1950's, '60's and even '70's. But the '80's and '90's? And it sounds like this is STILL going on. Children are accused of being seducers and flirts? Teachers are being excused without punishment? School systems are eager to come to a settlement with parents to hush it up or accuse the children of lying? COME ON!!! I am truly, truly disgusted that other teachers, principals, administrators, even parents allow this stuff to go on with innocent children. Or they ignore the red flags. Seriously, what is wrong with these people??? It really shakes my faith in other people.

What makes my heart ache, though, is that abused children are often slowly groomed for the abuse (as that one girl was from the 3rd grade until junior high). Or, they are threatened that if they tell someone something bad will happen. So children won't tell anyone. That doesn't mean they don't show other symptoms of abuse. But here's where it's sad- if their parents or caregivers are too busy to notice the symptoms or red flags, often the abuse will continue or nothing gets done about it. I feel for the children whose parents are struggling to make ends meet and don't have the time to be as cautious or vigilant about their children's well-being. And, unfortunately, not everyone can homeschool.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!