PDA

View Full Version : Which one sounds less corny?

Tammy
10-20-2007, 11:49 PM
On dd's 1st birthday party invitations:

1. Please don't feel obligated to bring gifts- we will supply them.

2. Please don't feel obligated to bring gifts- your presence is your present.

We don't care if someone WANTS to bring something, but just not to feel like they have to.

Thanks!

JustMe
10-21-2007, 12:00 AM
My first reaction is just

Please don't feel obligated to bring gifts.

#1 leaves me a little confused. You are supplying gifts? Does that mean you will give me something to give the birthday child? I assume you mean that you will just get your child something and don't need anything more, but I would feel confused after reading that.

#2 is fine, but for whatever reason I just don't think the 2nd part adds much.

Robyn

Happy 2B mommy
10-21-2007, 01:35 AM
I agree. The 1st one is confusing. It sounds like you are giving gifts to the guests.

How about "Your presents aren't necessary, but your presence is!" Corny, but knows it's corny, so therefore isn't corny. (Corny logic, but it's late) I've also seen "All we want you to bring is yourself"

I know all the etiquette books state that a guest should never feel obligated to bring a gift to a party/celebration, but the truth of the matter is when most of us get an invite, we automatically assume we are expected to bring a gift. Even at parties where it was stated on the invite "No Gifts, please" I've seen most guests bring a little something.

If only some of your guests bring gifts, please make sure that the gifts are put in some out-of-the-way place and aren't opened in front of everyone. You don't want those folks who don't bring a gift feel weird or embarassed.

galvjen
10-21-2007, 04:41 AM
We've seen "Your presence is the perfect present. No gifts please." written on invites. The guests who want to bring a gift, do. Those who don't, skip it without feeling bad. I've never seen gifts opened or displayed prominently at a party when this is written on the invitations.
Jen

SnuggleBuggles
10-21-2007, 07:58 AM
I really like this wording:
"Your presents aren't necessary, but your presence is!"

And I agree with others, the 1st choice you listed in the OP is confusing.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
10-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Since you don't feel strongly anti-gifts I might just not say anything and hope that people will do what they are comfortable with.

Beth

nov04
10-21-2007, 09:07 AM
How about the standard "Best wishes only please". We did that for dd's baptism, some ppl still brought them but those who didn't felt fine too.

hardysmom
10-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I think you have to go all or nothing... doing the "not obligated, but OK if you do" is really unnerving and awkward. Plus, when it comes time to open presents, how would you explain to DC that some of his friends brought stuff and others didn't. That they weren't obligated is a little confusing.

Saying you CAN bring a gift means I MUST bring a gift because I'm not going to be the only one who shows up empty handed. I'd feel like a jerk. I think it puts people in a more difficult, awkward situation (which isn't your intention) and is therefore a little rude.

"No gifts please, your presence is your present" levels the playing field. Expectations are clear. If a couple of particularly close friends bring something, whatever, but I wouldn't feel bad if I didn't.

If you want to leave the door open for gifts, just don't say anything. If our kids aren't super-close, I am very good at finding something neat but inexpensive.

stephanie