PDA

View Full Version : Couple more pictures from Iraq

MMEand1
10-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Here are a handful of pictures that I have taken. There is one of me with some of the local Iraqi people that we were working with the other day. The other pictures (with the helicopter) are of my first "dust-off". This is where we load the patients for transport to another hospital. I have been there for other dust-offs, but I was inside still working when the patients were transported. This was the first one I actually helped with.

http://media5.dropshots.com/photos/374179/20071020/144251.jpg

http://media4.dropshots.com/photos/374179/20071020/173617.jpg

http://media4.dropshots.com/photos/374179/20071020/173920.jpg

Have a great weekend!
MP

Marisa6826
10-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Mariah-

I am so totally loving all these pics you are sending along. You have truly added a slice very much needed humanity - and a Mother's Perspective - to this horrible war. Thank you.

What amazing stories you will be able to tell (and show!) your kiddos as they get older. They will be sooooo proud of their Mommy (we already are!!!).

You know, I see pics of those helicopters *all* the time, but you never see the true scale of just how HUGE they really are. Quite awesome, indeed.

Again, please be safe. We want you home and in one piece soon. Godspeed, Girlie!

Big hugs

-m

elliput
10-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Mariah, I am so proud to know you are serving our country. I was thinking the other day how removed I am from this war. Thank you for bringing me a little closer to something I really should be paying more attention to.

buddyleebaby
10-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Although I know that our troops are real people, with families that love them at home, your pictures keep me ever aware of the fact.

Stay safe, Mariah.
Thank you for sharing.

gatorsmom
10-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Thank you so much for the pictures you keep sending. And thank you so much more for this incredible sacrifice you are making. It's so important for all of us here at home to remember what you are doing for us over there.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

lisams
10-21-2007, 09:59 PM
You are amazing. I must admit that those thick cement "walls" send chills down my back - a reminder of the reality. I really appreciate the time you are taking to keep us updated, I enjoy reading them and seeing the pictures.

rlu
10-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Stay safe lady. Thanks for posting these and keeping in touch with us and keeping us in touch with the world out there.

Moneypenny
10-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Thank you for these pictures. It helps to make an unimaginable situation much more real for me. Continue to stay safe!

Susan
mama to my 3-year old cutie pie

Fairy
10-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Mariah, please keep posting. It lets us know you're ok. The pix are great. Thinking of you. Be safe.

-- Hil

maestramommy
10-22-2007, 03:33 PM
When you say this is your first dust off, do you mean you fly the helicopter? Either way, pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

sdoyle
10-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Mariah-

I am so proud of you! I can't believe that one of "us" is all the way over there. Thank you for the work you are doing. May you continue to be safe. Sending warm hugs and prayers your way,

Stacy

MMEand1
10-23-2007, 12:15 AM
>When you say this is your first dust off, do you mean you fly
>the helicopter? Either way, pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

No, I did not fly. Basically, when we do a "dust-off" we are just loading the patient on the plane for a transfer to another hospital. Usually it is because we don't have the equipment or specialty docs that are required for that particular Soldier/Airman/Marine's injury. We are kind of like a triage hospital in that if it is something life-threatening, we will take it if the patient cannot fly 30 minutes to a bigger hospital. If it is life-threatening, but can wait, we will also send them on to the bigger hospital, sometimes without even seeing the patient (yes, we get called in at 2 an 3 in the morning to wiat for a patient that will just be flown out and we never see them - stinks because then you are awake and you don't have to be to work for another couple of hours). We do take care of some things, just not everything. Mostly we do a lot of Emergency Medicine procedures, as in "do or die".

Like I said, I have been there for other patients that have been air-lifted, but was still working on other patients and/or cleaning up after a mass casualty and was not able to get out to the pad and see the patient off. This particular incident was just one patient, so just about everyone in the hospital was able to see him off. Then we went back in and prepared for the next time...
MP

rlu
10-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Kind of like the shows MASH and China Beach?

"mass casualty" has me crying.

oneplustwo
10-24-2007, 05:27 AM
Mariah, thank you so much for sharing these pictures!

MMEand1
10-24-2007, 06:35 AM
I have never seen China Beach, but it is similar to M*A*S*H. Our conditions are a little better than that though, thank goodness. But yes, it is in the middle of a war zone and we face the same hazards that everyone else here faces.

One interesting think, however. I ran across this movie called "Return To Kirkuk, A Year in the Fire". I looked up information about the man that the movie was about and ended up finding his e-mail address. He was born here and kidnapped by Saddam's Secret Army. He had to leave and because a Refugee in the UK. I e-mailed him and I have been learning more about his country and culture. He even sent me a picture of his children. It is very neat because it personalizes this for me.

Hope all is well! Have a great week!
Mariah P.

bostonsmama
10-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Love the pictures, Mariah! When our pastor came back from a year in Iraq, we were amazed at the wonderful humanitarian side the military is performing over there...it just doesn't get covered in the news.

Thanks for sharing...and God bless you and those that you treat & assist.