PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE and question - Ebay - any reason to NOT accept a personal check?

Globetrotter
10-22-2007, 01:14 AM
UPDATE: Thanks so much for the advice. I didn't know that USPS money orders were different from other types! Well, what do you know, now she is saying that her computer has to be fixed and can I CALL her to give my address? (she will pay for the call) UM, all kinds of red flags are going up! I want to cancel this whole transaction. Any advice on how to do this?

--------------------

I sold something on ebay and the person wants to pay me via a personal check. She had suggested a money order or cashier check but I turned that down (too many scams!). She said she doesn't want to use paypal since she was affected by a paypal scam.

Is there any reason (other than it's a pain in the butt) to NOT accept a personal check? I would cash it first before I mail the item, so I can't really think of any problems, right??

She said she didn't read my message saying paypal only! Any thoughts?

MeAndMyStar
10-22-2007, 04:37 AM
I would accept the check, but tell her you will ship the item after the check has cleared. I think you have a right not to accept payment for the item if you specified "paypal only" in the listing.

I can't think of any reason not to take the check, just make sure it *does* clear with your bank first. The bank will cash the check and if the check bounces the bank will take the money out of your account later. GL!

hardysmom
10-22-2007, 01:23 PM
I ONLY accept paypal not only b/c of the convenience, but also because it is the easiest way to dispute/resolve problems given ebay's ownership of paypal. For example, if I sell an item and a buyer isn't happy for whatever reason, I can quickly refund shipping or partial payment ASAP. If I buy an item which doesn't arrive or comes damaged, PayPal handles it well. If it was a cash transaction, there is little recourse either way.

Additionally, I would say WELL over 50% (I'm not kidding) of people who SAY they are going to send checks/MOs in a timely fashion drag their feet on payment and/or say they've sent it when they are clearly stalling. I am stuck (often for weeks) in a limbo. I can't relist b/c they SWEAR they mailed payment, but OOPS! Their mother/friend put the wrong zip code/postage/whatever on it and it came back, gosh darnit! Shucks, they'll try again!

Maybe I am cynic. I've just heard the same story over and over. I guess I think the likelihood of a buyer being hit in a real PayPal scam to be less than the chance that their Paypal was suspended for some reason I don't want to know about. That said, I know a lot of people (my mother!) just has a basic suspicion of things like PayPal and has a hard time using it.

I no longer make exceptions. For small items, the hassle of 1-2 lingering items isn't worth it and for bigger items, PayPal's protection is worth the fees to me. I stopped taking checks/MO about a year ago and honestly, I haven't seen any change in revenue. Most savvy buyers use paypal anyway.

Stephanie

KBecks
10-22-2007, 02:05 PM
I would if you dont mind the hassle. I wouldn't do it over a high dollar amt. Wait for it to clear.

momathome
10-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Have her get a postal money order - they are very safe and pretty fool-proof. I also think they take less time to clear. Just a thought. :)

Momof3Labs
10-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Don't do it!!! The only bounced check I had came from eBay, and it took 3-4 weeks to come back to me (she had closed the account before it cleared). Of course, I had already shipped the item. Instead, ask for a USPS postal money order so that you can CASH it at USPS before you ship the item. Any other kind of money order may bounce (or be a scam) and hit your bank account in the same way as a bounced check.