PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera recommendations...

Corie
10-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Think DISNEY Trip!
I would like a fairly small digital camera to take to Disney
with us.

I don't have a digital camera so I have no idea what to look
for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

masha12
10-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Last Christmas we replaced an old clunky large Nikon digital camera that had no battery life with a Canon Powershot SD800 IS.

I am a novice at photos etc. and don't do a lot of editing or any fancy stuff, but here is my review.

I love it. My two most important features were size and battery life. In the fancy leather case (which they charge extra for but I think is well worth it), the camera is about 2.5" x 4" x 1.5". It is always in my purse.

The battery life is awesome. We took a five-day vacationa and I took probably more than 200 photos and I never had to charge the battery. When I bought the camera, I told the guy I wanted good battery life and so he recommended the SD800, which was up a model from the Canon he had been showing me.

It has a good optical zoom and takes good pictures.

We paid about $375 for it last December but I bet it is cheaper now.

No matter what camera you get, get it at least a month before your trip and figure it out before you go. Disney is no place to be figuring out digital cameras. :)

Tondi G
10-22-2007, 04:08 PM
LOVE our Canon Powershot Digital Elph SD550! It takes pretty darn fast pics. Has a rechargable battery (not AA batteries). Super small and just takes great pics! Highly recommend it!

~Tondi

kep
10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Corie, I was just going to rec the Canon Powershot SD900. I see that I have already been beat by several other people. You really can't go wrong with any of the Canon Powershots, and they come in a ton of different price points. We got ours at Costco for a great price.

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Luke (April 2003)
And Joseph (December 2006)

miki
10-22-2007, 05:39 PM
We've had a Kodak and DH has a Nikon but I have one very similar to this and I LOVE it: http://tinyurl.com/23cntc

It's so simple to use, the pictures are great quality, it has a setting to catch fast moving kids, and the best part is that it's so small I can slip it into my pants pocket. Since it's so portable, I take it along with me so much more (like to DD's school and the park and not just special outings) and take so many more pictures than I would with a bulkier camera.

nicoleandjackson
10-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I am a Kodak girl, but my Dad just recently bought a Canon Digital Elph and loves it.

No matter what camera you purchase, make sure you check the timing between when the shutter button is depressed and the photo is taken (for example, Sony is notoriously slow), the lag time between shots, and the optical zoom (the zoom gained from the extension of the lens) vs. a digital zoom (where the computer in the camera is making adjustments to simulate a zoom). A 3x optical zoom at minimum is best--4x or even 5x would be better.

A website I like to check out for electronics reviews is www.cnet.com. That might help you answer some of your questions as well about which camera is right for your needs.

Good luck, and have a great time on your trip!

Nicole, Mommy to Jackson 4/30/02

AmyZ
10-22-2007, 08:15 PM
We just bit the bullet this past weekend and finally got a new digital camera. Canon PowerShot SD870IS, 8 megapixel. It doesn't have a viewfinder - it has a very large LCD screen. I just got it from Circuit City for $333 shipped.

Amy Z

Eliana 2/04
Abigail 1/07
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

KHF
10-23-2007, 10:16 AM
I have the Canon Powershot SD600 and love it. It's my purse camera. Does everything I need it to and has a nice big viewing screen. My only complaint with it is that sometimes indoor pictures get a bit grainy (probably user error, I've seen using the Portrait mode as a suggestion, but then the subject of the picture tends to look a little weird in the lighting). Outside shots are always gorgeous though. It would definitely be a great Disney camera.

Kirsten

Momof3Labs
10-23-2007, 10:29 AM
I think that they all have it these days, but make sure that you can also do short movies on the camera - sometimes you just can't capture the moment with a still shot!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
My sister got a Canon Powershot SD1000 Digital Elph 7.1 Mega Pixels for her graduation this year and I liked it so much that I got one as well. I keep it in my purse to take spur of the moment, just because pictures. It is really slim, even with the case (which my brother lost...ugh). My grandmother has a Canon Powershot with IS (image stabilization) but hers was actually less money because she got it during a huge sale. I would go to circuit city/best buy and look around, pick your top two and then go internet browsing. We found the best price on Amazon, and did not need to pay shipping.

Ditto to the pp who said to get it sooner so that you can practice before your trip.

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/071010/DkhE.jpg[/img]http://b4.lilypie.com/iOMom7/.png[/img][/url]

KHF
10-23-2007, 12:40 PM
I wanted to add that you should check Dell.com for deals also. I found my SD600 there for a full $40 less than anywhere else I could find it.

mom2aidan
10-23-2007, 02:09 PM
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=513850&Ntt=canon%20sd850&uniqueSearchFlag=true&An=text

I just got this camera and I LOVE it! It's small enough to fit in your palm and it takes great photos!

The sale ends on October 27th.

HTH!

supercalifragilous
10-23-2007, 03:23 PM
This is an awesome deal - I followed your link but I don't see the free printer anywhere. Am I missing something?

jillc
10-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Hi there,

I tried to find this deal, too, but it when I got to the Office Depot page, I was unable to add the camera to my cart. The message said that the item is discontinued & out of stock, so unavailable.

Here's the link to the deal just FYI. http://www.pocketdeal.com/deal-Office-Depot-Canon-PowerShot-SD850-IS-8MP-Digital-ELP-Camera^25307.aspx

Bummer!!

Jill

mom2aidan
10-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Here's the link to Office Depot's Sunday advertisement. I'm in NJ and I was able to get a new printer-free after rebate with my purchase.

http://officedepot.shoplocal.com/officedepot/default.aspx?action=nuep&AdRef=WebVersion

HannaAddict
10-25-2007, 12:27 AM
The Canon SD cameras are great and available at several price points. The latest greatest just came out, Canon SD950 with image stablization and titanium case that is sturdier than the normal metal case. Costco had them for $399 and I haven't seen them lower anyplace else since they just came out. I have found almost all the other Canon's are cheaper at www.buydig.com and they are reputable and Abes of Maine (they have an online site). Cnet has good reviews and digital camera preview (I think dpcamera.com or something similar) have good reviews. It is hard to choose since they are often just a tiny bit difference in features and price. My dad has a Canon Powershot SD550 and it takes fab pictures.

Kimberly