PDA

View Full Version : cost / Furniture refinishing in Caldwell, NJ area

babybunny
10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a furniture refinisher in the Caldwell, NJ area? I am thinking of purchasing a used Thomasville dining room set, but I don't like the color of the finish. Does anyone have any idea what it would cost to finish 6 chairs, a dining room table with three leaves, a buffet and a china cabinet?

Marisa6826
10-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Not *quite* what you're looking for, but there's a place in on the Montclair/West Orange border that does re-upholstery that would probably also know who to talk to about refinishing.

It's been there forever and I know my Grandparents and Mother used them on several occasions. It used to be a man and his son (this is from when *I* was little -- 20+ years ago). The last time I drove past, it looked like it was the same family. It's definitely the same name.

Byran Custom Built Upholstery
45 Harrison Ave
West Orange, NJ 07052
(973) 325-1001

A good family friend used this place many times over. They could probably recommend somebody, or do it themselves. FYI, this guy will likely be more expensive than Byran, but would probably be more knowledgeable.

Chiarello Upholstering
117 W. Mt Pleasant Ave
Livingston, NJ 07039
(973) 992-0500

Also, ask around town at some of the antique places. Anne Filkin (the lamp place next to the Caldwell Diner) could probably recommend a refinisher to you. Regardless of who you end up with, a GOOD refinisher isn't going to be cheap. The last time I had work done by a guy when I was living in Hoboken, he charged me a few hundred dollars for each dresser I had done (I had two dressers, plus a dining table), plus a few hundred for the table. He did an OK job, except he neglected to put a protective finish on any of the pieces. So, yes, they looked great until the first time I put anything heavy on them. Now every piece he did - without exception - all have VERY deep scratches in the finish. Stuff that shouldn't have marred the wood badly left deep gouges that can't be repaired unless the entire surface is stripped and refinished. I really learned my lesson. You get what you pay for.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are looking at at least $1000-1500 (maybe as much as $2000) to get the entire set done.

HTH

-m

MarisaSF
10-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Yep. I was going to say that the cost of refinishing a used piece might be more than getting what you want to begin with in a new piece. My MIL refinished a dresser and it cost almost $1000. I was in shock at the cost. The dresser did look much better afterwards though!