PDA

View Full Version : Anyone diagnosed with Group B Strep during pregnancy?

smzapalac
10-22-2007, 09:20 PM
I was diagnosed today with Group B strep, and am 35.5 weeks pregnant. I never had this with my first pregnancy. After reading several articles on the internet about Group B strep, I am freaked out about the possibility of what could happen to the baby. Anyone out there diagnosed with Group B strep during their pregnancy? I planned to be induced and then have the baby vaginally. Would a c-section be a safer option for the baby? These article don't mention opting for a c-section instead of a vaginal delivery. I don't see my OB until Thur. so I am trying to understand more about this situation before I see him. Any info. and advice would be so helpful to me. Thanks!

casey0729
10-22-2007, 09:36 PM
I had it this time DD but not with DS. My ob gave me a pamphlet about it but she didn't seem to concerned at the time. I just got some penicillin during the delivery. It was hooked up to my IV. Never noticed it and nothing unusual happened to me. I wouldn't be overly worried about it. I think the baby actually getting GBS is rare but they do the antibiotics on the off chance it would happen.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you!!

KC

DS 5/11/05
DD 7/14/07

Momof3Labs
10-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Group B Strep is so unbelievably common - it is no reason to freak out, and definitely no reason to have a c-section. Especially if you are being induced, you have plenty of time to get a few doses of antibiotics in you before delivery.

Yes, I had it with my first pregnancy, but not with my second. Both kids were fine.

Please stop reading about it on the internet; if you are worried, speak to your OB about it.

Lovingliv
10-22-2007, 09:47 PM
I had it with Tess and worried constantly toward the end of the pregnancy. I was so nervous that I would deliver quickly (history of that) and not get the antibiotics.

Well, I delivered in 45 minutes, didn't get the antibiotics and the baby is perfect.

The real risk comes if your water breaks. Then you need to get to the hospital and get the meds. My baby just flew out and wasn't at risk to a quick delivery.
With an induction, they will likely give you the antibiotics first and then induce. No worries! talk to your OB.

Good luck!

Bens Momma
10-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I had it with both of my DS. When they told me I had it with DS#1 I was so worried. Only to find that it is VERY common. Make sure they know this upon your admission to the hospital and remind the nurses. It's no big deal, they just give you a few doses of penicillin during labor/delivery. I was induced with both of my DC and they put it right in my IV drip, never noticed a thing. I think in rare cases (mostly when the mother doesn't know she has it) it can cause problems in the infant, but if they're on top of it with the penicillin you should be fine! Talk it over with your OB to alleviate your worries!

Good luck with your delivery!
Momma to 2 DS

asha
10-22-2007, 10:57 PM
nak

I had it with ds2. I was in the hospital for a full 5 mins before the baby was born. there was no time for any medications. they did a blood test after he was born and one more before we came home. he is doing fine.

Asha

hillview
10-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Strep B isn't really a big deal. They give you some antibiotics before you deliver so that the baby is safe. Never heard of a doc suggesting a section with Strep B. I had it and have 2 healthy baby boys!
Good luck!
/hillary

sidmand
10-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Like PPs said, it sounds much scarier than it is and many many women are diagnosed with it late in pregnancy. The risk is very very low of passing it on to the baby and they'll just give you some antibiotics, and then everyone is definitely fine!

I was also induced and supposedly having a vaginal birth (didn't happen, but that's another story!). They told me not to even worry.

Debbie
http://b3.lilypie.com/WT7Im4/.png[/img] (][img)

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev110pr___.png[/img] (][img)

SnuggleBuggles
10-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Did the articles also tell you it was totally transient? You can test positive today (well before you will probably go into labor, probably) but be negative when labor day actually arrives. It happens.

In most other countries they don't even test for GBS. They treat mom if there is a risk factor (labor before 37 weeks, ROM greater than 18 hours, fever over a certain amount). There are risks to antibiotics (allergic reactions, thrush, antibiotic resistance) so that is why some countries and even US practices are a bit more reserved with testing for it and treating all moms who test positive.

I have the option tomorrow of testing. I will be 36 weeks. I think I will just so we know (even though the stupid results could change by the time I go into labor :)).

If you are choosing an elective induction then you should feel pretty reassured about them getting the 2 doses of antibiotics in before the baby is born. They will probably run bag one before they actually start the induction.

Some things to keep in mind- they seem like common sense to me but don't seem to be practiced...hang on to your amniotic sac (if possible)! That protects the baby! I read so many birth stories, especially inductions, where they break mom's water. It doesn't speed up labor enough to put you and baby at risk. Same things with internal exams since that pushes the bacteria up into the birth canal. Internal exams and internal monitoring after your water is broken is risky for any mom because of the risk of infection. And since you could be dealing with a nastier infection just aim for a more conservative approach. When it's time to push they should, and you should, be able to tell. No checks needed. :)

Sure, a c-section could prevent (minimize?) baby's exposure to GBS but it is not the recommended course of action from any medical body and it carries a whole host of other risks fr mom and baby. Imo, the risks would outweigh the benefits.

Really, lots of countries (like in Western Europe) don't even test for it and you don't hear about major outbreaks of GBS there. I believe that the rate of transmission is actually about similar for babies here and there.

It does sound scary but try not to worry. Why not ask to be retested at 39 weeks? Look up home remedies to fight off the infection (like lots of yogurt?) and see if you can test negatively then. That seems like a good choice to me. It can really ease your stress level.

Beth

aim
10-23-2007, 08:45 AM
I had GBS with DS but not with DD. With DS I got the antibiotics and then they took me off the IV and I was able to deliver vaginally and not "hooked up" - He was/is fine. THe only thing I would have done differently is that I would have taken measures to prevent thrush - there is no way to know if the antiboitics at delivery did it but I ended up with a bad case of thrush that started right away. If I would have tested positive with DD I would have taken acidopholsis and maybe taken diflucan as a preventative for thrush (but my case was really ad and recurrant every time I was exposed to antibiotics)

You will be fine, not a big deal at all

Sorry for the typos - I am one handed and nursing!

Amy
DS Bennett 1-14-04
DD Nora 1-24-07

Lolagirl
10-23-2007, 10:13 AM
I also tested positive for GBS while pregnant with my boys, and I agree that you should definitely NOT have a scheduled c-section for that reason. I actually ended up with a post-operative infection with GBS after my c-section, so I guess that might give you some additional information as to why I think scheduling a section would be unnecessary.

Good Luck!

nrp
10-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Echoing what PPs said--GBS is VERY common. My OB told me it was one-quarter to one-third of women nationwide, and close to half in the south (don't know why it is higher here). When I had DD, it was unclear when my water had broken, so they made sure to give me both doses of pencillin, did as few cervical checks as possible, and made DD stay in the hospital the full 48 hours after birth for observation, but she had no problems at all. Evidently, if you get the penicillin, there is virtually no chance of the baby coming down the GBS disease.

HIU8
10-23-2007, 01:08 PM
I had GBS with DS and DD. Both times they gave me an IV with antibiotics. The OB was not that concerned about it since the antibiotics do what they are supposed to do. The only issue I had was that the Penicillin burned like mad and I forced them to change the drug with DS (had to get my OB's approval). With DD they automatically went to a different drug and I didn't even notice it was there.

HTH
Heather
DS 11/27/04
DD 6/9/07

Piglet
10-23-2007, 01:52 PM
>Did the articles also tell you it was totally transient? You
>can test positive today (well before you will probably go into
>labor, probably) but be negative when labor day actually
>arrives. It happens.
>

My first OB (with DS1) didn't ever test for GBS for this very reason. He felt it just complicated things - if you were told you were negative at 36 weeks but got it by labour day you would have a false sense of security or vice versa if you tested positive and it was gone by labour day you would be subjected to unnecessary meds! He told me he would rather test ON labour day if needed.

jawilli4
10-23-2007, 02:29 PM
I had this with both DC. With DC1 I had time to get the antibiotics and had no worries. DC2 came so fast that my doc was worried I wouldn't get both doses, so I delivered her unmedicated. From the best of my recollection, the hospital's policy at the time was that an unmedicated child could stay in the room with the mother and had to stay in the hospital at least 48 hours for observation. If I had started the antibiotics and wasn't able to receive the full course, then DD would have had a blood test or in the worst case would have been taken to the NICU, as the antibiotics would clould any possible infection. As it was, DD was fine and really it ended up being a nonissue for me after her birth. However, had I to do it over again, I would have asked my doc about the hospital's policy on all scenarios. When I was first admitted to the hospital and told that I wouldn't receive the antibiotics, I was really worried about what would happen to DD after I delivered her. Already knowing hospital policy would have been a load off of my mind.

smzapalac
10-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all of the posts regarding GBS. I must admit I feel better hearing from women who have delivered healthy babies. The info. online is doom and gloom. I see my OB on Thur. and feel much more informed. I am going to alter my birthing plan to make sure I don't get the typical million internal checks during labor. I also want to look more into the effects of antibiotics on me as well as the hospital's policy of handling mom/baby diagnosed with GBS. Thanks again, you all really helped me a lot.