PDA

View Full Version : Mia's teacher resigned :(

Marisa6826
10-23-2007, 11:53 PM
I found out today that Mia's teacher is leaving next week.

I would like to get her some sort of thank you/going away gift. I've gotten a little friendly with her and came to find out that they've been *drastically* underpaying her. She can't pay her bills and has no health insurance, and they're not willing to work with her salary-wise. She had no other option but to leave. I LOVE this girl. Seriously, I couldn't believe how upset I was when she told me today that next Wednesday would be her last day.

I don't think it's appropriate to give her cash, but at the same time, I don't want to give her something frivolous like a goodie from L'Occitane.

At the end of last year, I gave Sophie's teachers monogrammed bags from Lands End and they LOVED them. Too weird to do a repeat performance? I also am afraid that I won't have enough time since they took a couple weeks to get here last time I got them.

Any Teacher-Mamas have ideas?

TIA

-m

LD92599
10-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Lands End will monogram on the spot in Sears (Paramus Park for sure, not sure about Willowbrook or Livingston).

Other than that, no ideas from me except maybe a few small gift cards, ie: Panera, Starbucks, etc - little indulgences?

Laura
Mom to Will

http://dv.daisypath.com/0eJLm4.png

http://b5.lilypie.com/fS0fm4.png

JustMe
10-24-2007, 09:12 AM
How about a gift certificate to a book store?

Robyn

Marisa6826
10-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks Laura.

The Livingston one is an absolute joke. I'll try and head up to Paramus later this week. Besides, it's worth it just for Chik-Fil-A :P

-m

MelissaTC
10-24-2007, 09:47 AM
What about a Visa gift card or an Amex gift cheque? Not sure what the school policy is but those are always nice to receive.

Bean606
10-24-2007, 10:02 AM
We had the same thing happen to us with some teachers at DS's day care, adn for the same reasons. For one, I gave a gift card to Barnes and Noble - that way, she could use it for herself or purchase gifts for the holidays for others, and a cute bookmark. For the other, I did give her a gift pack of Bliss products from Sephora, but included a gift receipt so that she could return it for something she uses more regularly or, again, to get a gift for someone else. I thought the same thing - a little frivolous, but on the other hand, she probably never allows herself to purchase small luxuries for herself if she is strapped for cash. Good luck!

aidansmommy
10-24-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm a teacher and have received the Amex gift certificates in the past and really appreciated it. Especially since she has been so underpaid and has not been able to pay her bills I bet she'd love a gift she can put to something she really needs.

Heidi
Mommy to Aidan 11/03 and Amelia 12/06

Marisa6826
10-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Heidi-

I PM'd you

TIA

-m

bubbaray
10-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I think the LE bag would be great, and I'd tuck in some sort of gift certificate too (if that is within your budget).

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

aidansmommy
10-24-2007, 03:10 PM
I PM'ed you back.
I just noticed we both have December Amelia's!

Heidi
Mommy to Aidan 11/03 and Amelia 12/06