PDA

View Full Version : Build-a-Bear-- I'm creeped out by the databasing they do.

kep
10-24-2007, 10:30 PM
I know this may sound a little paranoid (conspiracy theorist), but the last time we were at Build-a-Bear I was totally weirded out. The feeling started when we were building the animal, and the store employee instructed us to rub the fabric hearts on our foreheads before inserting them into the animal. (She said to do this while making a wish.) Then at the end of the process, you are instructed to sit down at their computers and input all of your personal information which they file away along with the info from a RFID tag that is embedded within the animal. (With the explanation that if the animal is ever lost, it can be returned to the child. I think you also get an "adoption" certificate.)

The combo of the RFID** tag, the DNA matter rubbed onto the heart, then linked with all of my child's personal info totally creeped me out. I'm sure most people wouldn't think anything of it, but it raised huge red flags for me (and dh). My husband explained that this is pretty much how different government data bases are compiled. Who really knows how secure this information is at B-a-B, and who exactly might have access to it. With the RFID tag inside the animal, my child could (with the right receiver), have his location tracked by someone who knows everything about him. His name, age, where he lives, his telephone number, etc. We opted out of the "registration" process, but I was still alarmed.

Think about how many millions of children have made B-a-B's, and how much information is in the B-a-B database. I would venture to say that most parents accompanying their child would think nothing about it. I wonder what the actual number of lost animals are ever actually returned to their owners. I can't imagine some random person coming across an old stuffed animal, taking the time to read the tag, then actually bring the animal with them to a B-a-B store to find the owner. IMO, chances are slim to none.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I was bothered for weeks after we went. What do you all think?

**Here's some info about RFID tags for those who may not know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Luke (April 2003)
And Joseph (December 2006)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/kellip/Pictures/IMG_3229.jpg

B.A.F.
10-24-2007, 10:37 PM
That is absolutely disturbing. I would have been alarmed as well.

fortato
10-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Kelli...

You need to put the bottle of Model glue down....

denna
10-24-2007, 10:41 PM
we did build a bear a couple of years ago and i dont remember them asking us to register. i see where you are going with this and you do make valid points but your childs 'DNA' is kept w/i the bear and not w/ them so they do not have your child's DNA in any database. I would have opted out of registration too. Since you opted out of this they shouldnt have put this chip in should they?

kep
10-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Well, the chip is still in the bear, but it's "blank". It wouldn't be linked with your child's info.

I wasn't too concerned with the forehead rubbing thing, only because I figured that if my child is carrying around, hugging, kissing, loving on the animal, that his DNA would already be on it. But my dh pointed out that the forehead is a very desirable spot to pull DNA/skin cells if they were wanted.

Kelli

kep
10-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Whew! I'm not completely crazy. ;)

Kelli

kep
10-24-2007, 10:47 PM
And as for you, mouthy...

Kelli

fortato
10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I don't even know what you are talking about....

kristenk
10-24-2007, 11:36 PM
DD and I went to BaB for the first time last month. I'm trying to remember what info was asked for at "registration" but I'm having a difficult time remembering. I'm guessing that means that I didn't think they asked for anything all that unusual.

As for the "DNA matter" aspect of the whole thing, I think that DD was supposed to rub it on her forehead first followed by holding it up to her ear, rubbing it on her knees, rubbing it on her tummy (through her shirt, of course), rubbing it on her arm (once again, through her shirt), etc. It seems that if they were trying to get DNA that they'd have her rub it on her forehead (or perhaps rub it against the inside of her mouth :P) as the last step in the process.

I can't say it creeps me out, but I'll definitely pay attention to the registration process the next time we're there!

JustMe
10-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Wow, that is so interesting. I consider myself to be pretty paranoid especially about being tracked by the govt and giving my info to anyone in general, but somehow this didnt occur to me when dd did build a bear. There was no rubbing of the heart on her forehead or anything like that, but I did input all of our info into their computer, which in other situations I never do...hmmn,

Robyn

kransden
10-24-2007, 11:53 PM
LOL!!! Well they have a great database on dd then! She loves BaB, and the little rituals. We just got another one a week ago for her birthday. I've never had them tell DD to rub it on her forehead, just hold the heart tight, make a wish and kiss it. As for your name and address, they send us coupons and flyers all the time. I figure the goverment has all that stuff on us anyway, they don't need BaB to get it. Besides, I've met the owner, she is very nice.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

brittone2
10-25-2007, 07:18 AM
I'm more uncomfortable w/ the generally large amount of demographic info that gets collected every day so people can market to my family/kid. To me, it sounds more like that than anything else.

In the book Buy Buy Baby, the author talks about how Disney runs trainings for companies that market to children. Part of their workshop involves following families around Disney's parks and watching the parent/child interactions to basically figure out in the families observed 1.) what things the kid wants 2) Who in that family holds the power (and they mark it on a chart from 0-10 type of thing for each famliy member 3) what tactics the kid engages in to obtain said desired item and 4) who "wins" the battle, etc.

The fact that marketing groups were following families (without their knowledge) around Disney creeped me out. Yeah, it is demographics research, but it just did not sit well with me.

ETA: in terms of collecting personal info for government databases, I remember fingerprint events in our community (when I was a child) where they fingerprinted all of the kids to use in case they were kidnapped. I haven't heard of many kids being recovered as a result of their fingerprints.

Corie
10-25-2007, 07:22 AM
Kelli,

Are you just trying to freak me out because I'm having
Carson's birthday party there?

linsei
10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
The database part disturbs me. I know that companies use it to send out promotions and such, but most companies do not safeguard this information as diligently as they should. Our pediatricians' group was compromised, potentially leaking info like SSN's of the kids and parents. DH happened to interview for network security at aforementioned group/medical center a few weeks before the breach was announced to the public. At the interview, they told him that in the past, they really didn't have a system in place and security was left to "outside consultants" and now they needed someone internal. The info came out, and he turned down the job (not wanting to be walking into a huge disaster like that).

Basically, I'm tired of getting "oops" letters in the mail... We're terribly sorry, but because of our negligence, your personal information has been compromised. Please check your credit report monthly for the rest of your life.

If they require such information, they certainly need to safeguard it.

(Sorry for the rant, I'm an annoyed consumer :)

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

And a new little Valentine to debut in February!

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
We have either skipped doing the "adoption papers" or gave false/ incomplete information. I would never give out ds' info unless I had to for school or something legitimate. Being able to return a lost animal? Heck no. Protecting my child's privacy is important to me.

Of course, I am unwilling to sign up for rewards' programs anywhere b/c I feel no reason to make my personal data any easier to access. I don't care if I could save $.20. Not worth it to me.

Beth

Jacksonvol
10-25-2007, 04:07 PM
I have to say I am really not too worried about this. Now, if they ever ask DD to rub the swab around the inside of her cheek and put it in the bear....

lisams
10-25-2007, 05:25 PM
All I know is they secretly suck money out of your wallet when you're not looking. You think you're going in to get a $20 bear and then something happens and you realize you are out $50-60, lol.

We don't ever register them. DD names it and then we're done. Mainly because that area is always crowded and DD wants to type it all in herself and I'm just not patient to do the entire registration while she searches for each letter on the keyboard!

Ceepa
10-25-2007, 06:53 PM
OK. So what about if someone made BABs for both DC, used their names (as the dolls' names)and birthdates on the certificates? Does that mean that information is entered in a database somewhere?

Hmmmm.

-Ceepa

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Last time I was there I had an extra kid with me and was distracted at the check out. A few days later I was cleaning out my receipts and noticed they double charged me for an item. Intentional? I don't know. But it ticks me off as they already got me for 2 bears and accessories for each. They didn't need anymore $ from me.

Beth