PDA

View Full Version : Xpost with Crafts - Need help on DIY wings!

maestramommy
10-24-2007, 10:32 PM
I made wings for Dora's bee costume, but I can't get them to 1) stay open, and 2) fasten onto her properly. They're made of sheer, basically I glued four layers of material and make 4 wing pieces, 2 large 2 small. Originally I sewed them together, punched a hole in the middle pieces and tried to string elastic through. I tried tying them crosswise over Dora, making backpack straps, both failed. Also, the wings keep falling together, then flopping over to one side. I tried taping a chopstick across the center of the wings to keep them open, and that worked, but the tape is unstable and keeps catching onto Dora's hair (I'm using the clear packing tape) Do I just need to sew the chopstick to the wings by hand, then use the stick as a basis for the straps? Dora just keeps pulling the straps off as soon as I get them on <_< So frustrating! I've separated all four pieces again, and racking my brain for ideas. Please help me!

cheme
10-24-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure, but I think Family Fun had some costumes that had wings and they used wire hangers or a spool of wire (from hardware store) in some way?? Maybe you can check their website for costumes with wings and see if there are any ideas there. Good luck!!

s7714
10-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Can you possibly sew some ribbons directly onto her costume which can then be threaded through the holes in the wings to tie them on?

Maybe you can send me a picture of the wings so I can see their shapes? If I see them I might be able to help a little better. (Email me through the SoCal group since you can't attach pictures through the BBB system.) LOL, I talked you into this mess, so I'll do my best to help you get it working! ;)

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org