PDA

View Full Version : Talking to my dr on Friday about breast reduction

JustMe
10-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Let me just say that I did read the older thread (from May, I think) about this topic!

I am so nervous, scared and slightly excited! I made an appt with my pcp to discuss the possibility of a breast reduction. I just cannot imagine having "normal" size breasts, being able to exercise without discomfort, being able to sleep without discomfort, etc. On the other hand, I am not someone who would alter my body for appearance's sake, hate the idea of elective surgery, etc.

Any btdt feedback would be great, especially about how to look for a surgeon and what kind of questions to ask. I dont know how helpful my dr will be able to be as she has only been in this area a little over a year.

thanks!
Robyn

kep
10-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Robyn, I don't have any BTDT advice, but good for you! I dream of having this done after I am done having babies, and done with breastfeeding. I am so excited for you. I also dream of being able to have "normal" sized boobies. Woo-hoo! Let us know what your doctor says. We're rooting for you!

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Luke (April 2003)
And Joseph (December 2006)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/kellip/Pictures/IMG_3229.jpg

Marisa6826
10-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Go, Robyn, Go!!!

It's on my list of things to get accomplished one of these days. So, no BTDT, but I'm definitely here cheering you on! :)

-m

val01
10-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Robyn - I have been there and done that! :) - back in 2002!

I lost 9lbs off my top and I am still a C!

Please PM or email me through the board.

Valerie

trumansmom
10-25-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm so jealous!! I've got less than 20 pounds to go before I hit my weight loss goal and I've got the plastic surgeon's number lined up to call the day that I do!

Good luck and please keep us posted. Everyone I know who had ever had it done has said it was the best decision they ever made.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

boogiemom2
10-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Oh,man...good luck! I desperately want a reduction but my insurance company SUCKS and refused it. They claim that my back issues are related more to my being overweight than to my breast size. Of course, my back only hurts up in my neck and upper-back (mostly between my shoulder blades). I had my OB, primary care, physical therapist, orthopedic surgeon and the reduction surgeon all dispute for me and still a no-go. :( So, now I'm trying to lose weight so I can go back and force the issue. My plan is to make them pay for it and then switch insurance companies the following year. :)

I've talked to several other ladies who have also had trouble with their insurance companies. Hopefully you will have better luck. As far as finding a surgeon, you really just need to talk to people in your area. Does your DR. have associates in her office that you can talk to about it?

Good Luck! I KNOW so many things would be so much easier and less painful if I didn't have to carry "the girls" everywhere! :)

g-mama
10-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Robyn - good for you! It is on my definite list of things I will do in my lifetime, hopefully sooner rather than later. I want to lose about 10 lbs before I start the process. So no BTDT, but another one rooting you on to do something that will make you feel so much better about yourself. Please keep us posted!!

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

roysmom
10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
No BTDT, but I did read an article recently that talked about some breakthroughs in breast augmentation. It was talking about cauterizing the cuts, as you go, to minimize bleeding. The article stated that most pain was caused from bleeding and by using this method, most patients experienced a drastic drop in pain and recovery. Sorry I didn't save the article. It was aimed for breast enhancement, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for reduction. You might just want to ask the doctor about it.

I did have a cousin who had reduction. Went from a DDD to a C and she LOVES it. For the first time since she was 11, she can buy a bikini in a regular store!!!

tarabenet
10-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Not BTDT, but I have several friends and family members who have done it. To a woman, they all were thrilled with it. Most of them have also said "I only wish I had done it sooner!" You are not talking about altering for appearance's sake. This isn't about vanity. You are talking about an issue of health, wellness and quality of life.

Of course you will want to know everything about what to really expect in the recovery period, what the results will probably look like, how long the scars will be noticeable and what you can do to minimize their appearance over time. Ask for references, and then call those women. Don't just ask about the doc, ask about the whole experience -- what does she wish she had known going into the surgery, would she do it again, what would she do differently, would she send her best friend to the same doc, etc.? Tell her what worries you most and as her what her thought are.

Be sure to check things out thoroughly with your insurance company, too. Your surgeon or someone in his/her office should be very knowledgable about prequalification and then filing the claim for maximum reimbursement. If you don't feel reassured about this aspect of the whole thing as well as the surgery itself, find another surgeon. To me, that would indicate the surgeon doesn't have that much experience with this procedure.

Good luck! May you have the same reaction as my sorority little sister. She had her reduction while still in college, and she came back from it all excited about her "itty bitty ttties!" and the non-atronly clothes she was suddenly able to wear. It really put a twinkle in her eye and a bounce in her step. In fairness, maybe it just hurt too much to bounce pre-reduction! LOL

sidmand
10-25-2007, 11:11 AM
No BTDT yet, but I'm planning on doing it in the next couple of years! I was going to ask my OB if she could recommend a plastic surgeon and as soon as the next one is weaned, I'm hoping to maybe have a breast reduction (and maybe a tummy tuck? Hey, 2 for 1, right?).

I look forward to hearing how it goes! Keep us posted.

Debbie
http://b3.lilypie.com/WT7Im4/.png[/img] (][img)

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev110pr___.png[/img] (][img)

elephantmeg
10-25-2007, 08:25 PM
I used to take care of a lot of patients who had it done, and even fresh post op they were thrilled (the local doctor that used to do them retired and no one else in the small area where I work does them). I've never heard of anyone not being happy to have had it done. I gather insurance qualifications are: have documented back pain, have lost weight/exercised, still having back pain (all these points were in EVERY history and physical!) Good luck and hope it goes well!

dogmom
10-25-2007, 08:53 PM
The one bit of advice I can give you from the friends I had who has had this done is get a lot of pillows ready. Positioning for sleep after the surgery can be tricky and from what I hear building the right "nest" to sleep in can help a lot.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve 6/18/06

JustMe
10-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Thank you for the support everyone.

I had my appt with my pcp. She was very supportive, and thought I should definitely do it. She did a lot of documentation and said the insurance should cover it given various things about my situation. Unfortunately, she could not really recommend a surgeon and did not know details about the procedure (neither of which made me feel great, but oh well). I am now beginning the process of trying to find someone locally who has had the surgery. I looked at the websites of the surgeons that my insurance covers and one really stands out, but there is more to a surgeon that his/her website!

Robyn

mamicka
10-27-2007, 09:30 AM
If your PCP wasn't an OB - I would call your OB & ask her. She has most likely talked to many before/after patients about this thing. I know a reduction is in my future & my OB has given me a list of surgeons who she says has done beautiful reduction work.

Good luck & keep us posted!
Allison
DS1 2003
DS2 2005
DS3 2007

cvanbrunt
10-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Good for you! I've BTDT, way back in 1992 when I was a college senior. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself and recommend it to anyone who is considering it. I don't think is altering yourself for appearance sake at all. Until you've lived with a really big set of girls, its hard to understand how "difficult" they can be.

My surgeon took before and after pics and kept a photo album for people to look at. That was really comforting to see what kind of changes to expect. I'm not sure how the insurance aspect worked since I was still on my parents. But I remember thinking this surgeon was asking me all the right questions to get the surgery classified as medically necessary. He would say things like "and you've tried X number of different bras?" and "its uncomfortable to X?"

It has been so long since my surgery, I'm sure the techniques are different now. Someone mentioned waiting until they had finished having babies and breastfeeding before pursuing a reduction. Well, I just gave birth to DD#2 5 days ago and I'm engorged and leaking away!

I'm not sure how the whole PM thing works but feel free to try and I'll keep an eye on the thread in case I can answer a question for you.
Do it for yourself, you won't regret it!

-Carrie