PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for a new godchild and the godparents??

SASM
10-25-2007, 02:43 AM
We are going to be godparents for the first time to my best friend's little baby-to-be. I already have a nursing necklace for mama and am planning on getting her a carrier of some sort (maybe a silk Moby D or KKAFP). I am wondering what are some other favorite gifts that you've received, either from the godparents or from others as a baptism gift. My other thoughts: a personalized book from I See Me or a unique child cross from a craft store from back home.

TIA!!

gatorsmom
10-25-2007, 09:54 PM
We received come unique crosses for my sons but I will admit I havn't put them up yet. I also received a beautiful, framed picture of the Noah's ark story with a poem to the side. Haven't put that up either. We did receive 2 children's bibles and those were nice and the kids love the stories in them. You could get something like that and write a little something in the front. My french friend bought my first son a tiny gold cross necklace meant for a baby. She said not to put it on him though because he could choke! But it is darling and she asked me to make sure to give it to him as a keepsake. Not sure if you are Catholic but a children's book of stories about saints could be neat too.

ETA: my ILs had a beautiful baby blanket with the date of DS2's baptism and a message personalized along the side. It is beautiful. Not sure where they got it though.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

SASM
10-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Thank you so much for the suggestions and input! :) I LOVE the blanket idea.

I hope that you are feeling well. Not much longer. I hope that you are comfortable. :)

Jen841
10-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Few ideas we have given, received or seen...
F-P Noah's Ark
Books on the patron saint of the parish
Books - Macoroni & Cheese, Hot Dogs and Peas and the Legend of the Three Trees are personal favs (I could give a whole list, Pingry books are wonderful! ("The Story of Jesus", "The Story of St Patrick",...)
Crosses - I have bought girls stained glass ones and boys pewter
Rosary
Rosary braclet - received from my Godson
Lladro Little Angel
Waterford Cross
Lenox ornaments - cross or Noah's Ark
Charm braclet with a cross, or the saint,... with the intention to add to it when each sacrament is met
Gown/outfit -traditional job of a godparent, although I have never heard of a godparent needing to supply one
Beautiful picture of the church (we have one from our wedding we treasure, timeless piece to display)
Blanket - someone else gave one to my goddaughter, and I noticed our names listed on it as the godparents
Melissa and Doug Noah's Ark
Noah's Ark puzzles

IMO you should give a religious gift at Christenings/Baptisms, if you are invited to be part of the special event you should note it appropriately. We received random items, and I thought the purpose of the day was missed.

A traditional event with the nieces and nephews is decorating a cross cake. 9X13 cake cut out to be a cross. They love it!

gatorsmom
10-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Ooh- these are great ideas. I'm bookmarking this!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!