PDA

View Full Version : Birth balls: what size, what brand, does it matter?

american_mama
10-25-2007, 01:34 PM
ETA: to correct link.

I am early in pregnancy but want to get a birth ball to use at my desk and, much later, for birth. What size should I get and are some brands better than others? I have read that the position you use to sit on it is ideal for getting baby in the right position beforehand, plus I know from experience that sitting and rotating on it in labor is helpful to me.

This doula website touts their balls as "accept no imitiations" http://www.doulashop.com/products/birth-balls/index.html. Are there really differences between these balls vs. ones I might get at Marshall's, Target, or a sportings good store? When I lived overseas, a pricey store for healthy backs sold birth balls and said you needed these particular ones, specially made for pregnancy, but it sounded unsubstantiated and silly to me. Can my wise BBB sisters give me the real scoop?

JenDC
10-25-2007, 01:50 PM
I have a cheap one from Target, and it was great. The main thing is to get the right size for you-- when you sit on it, your knees should make a right angle. I am 5'2" and I have the smallest size- I think the brand is ProSpirit or something like that. I used the ball while pregnant and also while in labor.

Jen
mom to Shoshana 3.29.06

SnuggleBuggles
10-25-2007, 02:28 PM
My sister forwarded me this link from some fitness message board she goes to that compared all the higher end brands of balls. Well, I couldn't bear the thought of paying $65 for a ball when they didn't even compare the expensive ones to the cheap ones.

So, I bought a 65cm "anti burst" ball made by Bally's for $15 at Fielene's Basement. :) I have been pleased with it. "Anti Burst" was the main thing I wanted (that was a recommendation from the info my sister gave me).

I'm only 5'2" but I find the 65cm balls to be much, much more comfortable than the 55cm ones. I would recommend trying them out at the store, if possible.

Beth