PDA

View Full Version : Translating into Italian - any help??

Mamma2004
10-27-2007, 02:10 PM
While I have taught Italian for many years, I am feeling completely inept. A gentleman in town has asked me to translate some legal documents into Italian for him and I am having a devil of a time finding translations for legal jargon. I have no trouble translating into everyday Italian (well, not much trouble) but phrases such as "products liability action" and "breached the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness" are making me crazy.

Can anyone help me?!

I will surely be compensated in some way (a token of thanks) but I am spending/wasting so much time just trying to get through these documents!

I would be so grateful for any assistance...as well as for a kick in the pants the next time I have trouble saying "no".

Grazie!
Stephanie

jd11365
10-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Maybe try babelfish.altavista.com/ or babelfish.yahoo.com/
It's very literal, but maybe it will help you with what you already know.

Prego!

fauve01
10-27-2007, 10:18 PM
i realize you're probably looking for free help, but my DH has a colleague who is in the UK and does Italian/English translations for the government. email me if you want the contact info: amrs119 @ yahoo dot com

DH is telling me that another thing you could do is post on craigslist that you are looking for Italian translation help (be specific in your post). post not only in your city, but all the big cities.

hth~

anne + DD 10-03

bubbaray
10-27-2007, 10:52 PM
If he needs it for legal purposes, he'll likely need a certified translator, someone who is prepared to give an affidavit of translation (different countries call that different things).

Maybe try contacting your local courthouse??? Or legal aid???

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

denna
10-28-2007, 01:25 AM
Did he try contacting the local (closest, large city) Italian Consulate? There should be some sort of translation service or help offered to him. I personally would not recommend internet sites, even in basic Italian they were completely wrong (google and babel fish). We tried using these sites while we were living in Italy but they hurt more than helped. I hope you are able to figure something out.

Good Luck,