PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an iPhone?

LD92599
10-27-2007, 08:52 PM
If so, what do you think? Do you have a previous "smartphone" to compare it too? I'm contemplating getting one which I'd mostly use for instant messaging and email (both work), iCal, etc.

Just looking for feedback, good & bad!

Thanks!

Laura

MarisaSF
10-28-2007, 12:29 AM
I have one and I've been looking for a proper place to vent about it, so I'm glad you posted. ;)

Okay, that's not really fair. I LOVE the phone, camera, calendar, email, internet. I am not impressed by AT&T's service range, however. I can hardly make/recieve calls from MY OWN HOME. When I'm driving, I've cut out of calls several times. It's bad enough that I just "don't trust it," iykwim. I previously had Verizon as a carrier, which had truly excellent service wherever I was. I would strongly advise you to ask friends in your area about AT&Ts coverage there. If possible, have someone with an AT&T phone come to your house and practice making some calls. I would love to know if the iPhone will be compatible with other carriers.

I never had another "smartphone" to compare. I used to own a Palm V and I occasionally miss having a stylus with the iPhone. I was very comfortable with Palm's "Graffiti." The iPhone typing is quite easy though; I just feel slower without the stylus.

Email is very easy -- I use it with gmail and yahoo. It automatically updates my mail. Very cool!

Internet is easy too. Can't get on the BBB though. ;)

The camera takes great pics. No flash, of course, however. No video either.

DH loves using it as an iPod too. I haven't used that feature yet as I'm waiting to upgrade my computer to Leopard or whatever it's called.

Twoboos
10-28-2007, 07:24 AM
DH has one. He's completely enamored with all aspects of it. He finds any excuse to use it. When he first got it, random people would walk up to him and ask in awe - "Is that an iPhone??" and he would give a demo. He should be making commission from apple.

We also have the AT&T problem. Phone works at the top of our driveway, but not in our house. It's very annoying. DH swears the reception has gotten worse since AT&T took over Cingular.

His only other complaint is that it's very slippery, as in it has slipped out of his pocket and been left behind in cars, conference rooms, etc. They do have a rubber case-type thing to put on it, but DH doesn't like it because it takes away from the sleekness. (Nerd alert!! :-))

I will begrudgingly say it's very cool. Although I am still mad at apple that they lowered the price so soon and only offered $100 credits to early adopters. $100 credit does NOT equal a $200 price difference.

Marisa6826
10-28-2007, 09:01 AM
We don't have one (we're Sprint customers), but Jonathan drooools every time we walk past the Apple store. ;)

Though, this tidbit was in the NYT today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/27/technology/27apple.html?_r=2&ei=5090&en=bc2072c1da13d2d6&ex=1351137600&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1193583627-H1vz0qbqpNqIYBZWsUMtnA

Hope you're planning on buying less than two and with a credit card. It seems that Apple is no longer willing to accept cash or gift cards. Of course, you see, it's all in the spirit of keeping them from being resold and unlocked. Sure, it is.

We're totally an Apple Family through and through, but that's a little too Big Brother. Just unlock the damn phones, already. I think if they chose anybody other than AT&T and their crappy service it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

-m

anamika
10-28-2007, 05:32 PM
>
>We also have the AT&T problem. Phone works at the top of our
>driveway, but not in our house. It's very annoying. DH swears
>the reception has gotten worse since AT&T took over Cingular.

We don't have an iPhone but we have the same issues with AT&T since they took over from Cingulair. I can't hear anything at home or most places actually when people are calling - even from a landline. And from cell phone to cell phone, forget it! Never had this problem with Cingulair.

anamika
10-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Okay, I had to laugh. I was reading this message while my husband was on a rant in the background about the very same thing.