PDA

View Full Version : Pharmacy screw-up. Where to report?

MamaMolly
10-28-2007, 01:59 PM
I picked up DDs reflux meds at CVS and when I got home I noticed that the bottle was drastically underfilled. Her dosage is 0.8 ml twice a day, and they gave me 30 ml as a 30 day suppily. Now, I'm no math whiz but even I caught that one!
I returned to the pharmacy and the pharmacist corrected the mistake (filled the bottle to the top right in front of me). What a pain in the rear!

Now I need to know who or where to report what happened. I'm not looking to whine or be mean, just to share what happened in a factual way. While I know very well this wasn't a life/death situation for us on these particular meds, the same mistake could be very dangerous in other situations. Anyone know what agency I should contact? The FDA?

TIA for any suggestions,
Molly

megs4413
10-28-2007, 04:45 PM
don't know, but i'd like to as well! i have had so many problems with walgreens that i'm really truly scared every time i get a script there. one time they sent me home with another person's heart medication. thank goodness I noticed it before i took it!

brittone2
10-28-2007, 06:21 PM
I've had tons of problems as well with a local chain pharmacy (Kerr Drug). I eventually switched to a small, locally owned pharmacy where the pharmacist herself fills the majority of RXs.

eta: I called the corporate number of the pharmacy I had issues with after we had multiple mistakes made on our RXs. I didn't pursue it any further, but suggested maybe the staff needed some continuing ed ;)

I don't know the best place to pursue it beyond that, although I'm sure there are multiple routes you could try.

annex
10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Generally, I believe the state handles these complaints. Check your state website for the Pharmacy board, it should have info on how to file a consumer complaint. For example, here's info from the state of CA:
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/consumers/complaint_info.htm

HTH,
Anne

JTsMom
10-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Good for you for catching it and following up! I've had problems with Walgreens a couple of times too. The worst was once when I picked up Jason's heart meds (Digoxin- which is not an uncommon drug at all). I had to trek to several Walgreens to get it, even though I was told it had been filled at the first one. After waiting probably a 1/2 an hour at the final one (keep in mind this is a full, factory-sealed bottle that they hand over) I started to drive away and noticed it was EXPIRED!!!

Now, I realize that meds don't lose all effectiveness on the exp. date, but is an infant's heart really something you want to test that on? Yikes!

When I told them, they blew me off by saying, "Oh, well that drug has a really short shelf-life. We can find you another bottle if you want." Huh?! You'd think they'd be extra cautious if that was the case.

Always, always, always check your meds! Check to make sure it is the right med, the right dosage, check the exp date, and count them! These mistakes happen constantly.